Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer 2017 Campaign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭doc22

Under the mobility scheme it's 50/50 open to transfers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

doc22 wrote: »

In theory......
    Theory and practice do not always meet eye to eye!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭svei

Bella1978 wrote: »
    This is a bit premature, but considering that the trend is for mostly Dublin positions, is anyone considering taking a position in Dublin (if offered and no position closer to home is available) and commuting long distances?

I am commuting from Wexford to Dublin daily and I wouldn't recommend it to anybody. I was on the 2016 panel and the only option was Dublin so I took a chance and I have regretted it. I am now in clearance for an EO role in Wexford as the commute is just too tough for me (at least 5 hours a day on the bus). After speaking to HR and to DPER, nobody can provide any promises on how long I will be waiting for a transfer, especially since AO roles are very scarce in rural locations. I was definitely not prepared to wait years.

I would think long and hard about it if I were you, especially considering the role might require you to stay late some evenings. I struggle with my inflexibility a lot, especially when PQs need to be answered or a Memo for Government is due to go up on eCabinet. At the moment I get the bus at 5.30 in the morning and I am normally home about 19.30. This leaves very little room for a life but that's me, everybody is different and have different circumstances. Some people cope better with the lack of sleep and the tiredness from travelling. I know I am not performing at my full potential and that is another reason why I am leaving the role. Sorry if this sounds very negative, I just wanted to give my honest opinion and, again, everybody's circumstances are different!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 stevieb.hoi

I didn’t make the first round of interviews/assessments this time round. I finished in the high 200’s. Hoping to get a look in if they do a 2nd round though. Does anyone know how long there was between the 1st and 2nd round last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Conqueror

About four months.

Round 1 results came out on November 11th, and assessments / interviews for batch 1 started on November 21st.

On January 14th, a notice was sent saying that more people would be called to assessment / interview stage in April. People were asked if they were still interest in early March, and batch 2 were called to the next stage in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 stevieb.hoi

Conqueror wrote: »
    About four months.

Round 1 results came out on November 11th, and assessments / interviews for batch 1 started on November 21st.

On January 14th, a notice was sent saying that more people would be called to assessment / interview stage in April. People were asked if they were still interest in early March, and batch 2 were called to the next stage in April.

Thanks! Hopefully I’ll sneak in in Batch 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

doc22 wrote: »

That's true for CO's but not EO's. For AO/HEO's and AP's the mobility scheme launches later this year.

"4. When will a vacancy be filled through Civil Service Mobility?
    Organisations will fill vacant posts in accordance with the following organisational sequence:
    CO – 50% Mobility : 50% Open;
    EO* – 40% Open : 30% Interdepartmental** : 30% Internal.
    *The EO sequencing will revert to 50% Open : 25% Interdepartmental : 25% Internal on conclusion of the Public Service
    Stability Agreement, 2018-2020.
    **one in every two Interdepartmental vacancies to be filled by Mobility.
    The above sequencing will be applied on a nationwide basis."

http://hr.per.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/FAQs-for-Phase-1A.pdf

rostalof wrote: »
    That's true for CO's but not EO's. For AO/HEO's and AP's the mobility scheme launches later this year.

"4. When will a vacancy be filled through Civil Service Mobility?
    Organisations will fill vacant posts in accordance with the following organisational sequence:
    CO – 50% Mobility : 50% Open;
    EO* – 40% Open : 30% Interdepartmental** : 30% Internal.
    *The EO sequencing will revert to 50% Open : 25% Interdepartmental : 25% Internal on conclusion of the Public Service
    Stability Agreement, 2018-2020.
    **one in every two Interdepartmental vacancies to be filled by Mobility.
    The above sequencing will be applied on a nationwide basis."

http://hr.per.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/FAQs-for-Phase-1A.pdf

Far from getting preference only 1 in 10 available EO positions will be available for transfers

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HairyCabbage

I was told I should expect to hear back before Christmas, has anyone heard anything yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 irishguy2017

No I havent heard anything yet, it should be sometime this early this week though from what another user posted last week after talking to PAS

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bella1978

svei wrote: »
    I am commuting from Wexford to Dublin daily and I wouldn't recommend it to anybody. I was on the 2016 panel and the only option was Dublin so I took a chance and I have regretted it. I am now in clearance for an EO role in Wexford as the commute is just too tough for me (at least 5 hours a day on the bus). After speaking to HR and to DPER, nobody can provide any promises on how long I will be waiting for a transfer, especially since AO roles are very scarce in rural locations. I was definitely not prepared to wait years.

I would think long and hard about it if I were you, especially considering the role might require you to stay late some evenings. I struggle with my inflexibility a lot, especially when PQs need to be answered or a Memo for Government is due to go up on eCabinet. At the moment I get the bus at 5.30 in the morning and I am normally home about 19.30. This leaves very little room for a life but that's me, everybody is different and have different circumstances. Some people cope better with the lack of sleep and the tiredness from travelling. I know I am not performing at my full potential and that is another reason why I am leaving the role. Sorry if this sounds very negative, I just wanted to give my honest opinion and, again, everybody's circumstances are different!

Thanks Svie - food for thought....

• Registered Users Posts: 44 sjka2013

I didn’t make the first round of interviews/assessments this time round. I finished in the high 200’s. Hoping to get a look in if they do a 2nd round though. Does anyone know how long there was between the 1st and 2nd round last year?

I'm on the same boat, unfortunately a second batch is not guaranteed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Chocolate Teapot

Hope we get the results sooner rather than later. If it's bad news don't want the bombshell to drop just before Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pixieprincess

Hope we get the results sooner rather than later. If it's bad news don't want the bombshell to drop just before Christmas!

Me too!!! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Woopsey

High 90s. What the chance's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Woopsey wrote: »

Same as. Seems like they were pretty hard markers.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Chocolate Teapot

Results are out! Delighted that I got in the 60's, now I just have to keep the fingers crossed that my Department can keep me. Won't be able to take a position in Dub :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Woopsey wrote: »

Buddy of mine placed 80 last year or thereabouts and was assigned in August, so chances are pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pixieprincess

Yay results are out. Got mid 20s.

• Advertisement

Buddy of mine placed 80 last year or thereabouts and was assigned in August, so chances are pretty good

And he/she did the interviews the same time last year?

Yay results are out. Got mid 20s.

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bella1978

placed in the 90s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

quad_red wrote: »
    And he/she did the interviews the same time last year?

He did. I placed 80 myself this year, so should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Otsuka

I was sure I had messed up presentation and maths and I placed mid 30's !

Shocker was positive I had failed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Well done all. The likelihood is (in the current environment) that everyone on the panel will be placed at some stage

AGC wrote: »
    Well done all. The likelihood is (in the current environment) that everyone on the panel will be placed at some stage

How high does the panel go? Does it 'top out' or does everyone who got to the required standard get ranked somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 neilie22

Placed in the 20s - delighted with that. Such a tough day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Devastated.

Got average 39 out of 50 in the interview (78%)

Exceeded 70% in the presentation

Passed the verification

Failed the job simulation by a few marks... a multiple choice question exam :(

Job simulation - I didn't think I'd fail because of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HairyCabbage

What are my chances of being placed? I got 84

Advertisement