Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer 2017 Campaign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Chocolate Teapot

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Devastated.

Got average 39 out of 50 in the interview (78%)

Exceeded 70% in the presentation

Passed the verification

Failed the job simulation by a few marks... a multiple choice question exam :(

Job simulation - I didn't think I'd fail because of that.

I'm so sorry to hear that, you did brilliantly in everything else. It seems cruel to fail somebody over that when you obviously more than proved your ability for the role :(

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HairyCabbage

What are my chances of being placed? I got 84

Also, thought my presentation went really well, was surprised to see that I only got 50/100.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I'm so sorry to hear that, you did brilliantly in everything else. It seems cruel to fail somebody over that when you obviously more than proved your ability for the role :(

I answer one single MCQ question differently.... I probably get a high placing.

Thems the rules, I guess

I also thought my presentation went really well. Thought it was the best part of the day, but it was the worst...by a mile. Got 52 for it. Thought I failed the interview, but it went really well and was hands down my best mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

quad_red wrote: »
    How high does the panel go? Does it 'top out' or does everyone who got to the required standard get ranked somewhere?

If 150 have been placed on the panel it starts at 1 and works it’s way down as vacancies arise

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Does anybody know how long the panel lasts? 1 or 2 years?

Usually it's 1 year for the AO comp

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

There is traditionally a new panel constituted in Oct/Nov each year- however, once a panel has been constituted, it normally has a period of validity of 1 year from the date of first appointment from the panel (not from the date the competition was announced).

Usually it's 1 year for the AO comp

Aye, I rang PAS just there, the panel lasts until a new one is formed, which is basically this time next year.

I asked what the expectation was regarding placements and they said they had no info currently...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tarpedo

Got in the 70`s, Does anybody know when the recruitment begins?

• Advertisement

Tarpedo wrote: »
    Got in the 70`s, Does anybody know when the recruitment begins?

January, per PAS

Does anyone know how many were placed from last year's campaign?

I'd like to congratulate all the successful candidates.

It was an intense day at the Assessment Centre.

Have a nice Christmas!

Godspeed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 neilie22

What is the next part of the process? Will they start from the top and offer one or more departments to each candidate, or will there be an opportunity to submit location and department preferences first?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Does anyone know how many were placed from last year's campaign?

The top 553 were called- from whom there were 160 placed in Batch 1 and a further 103 placed from a second batch (interviewed at the end of April (from memory)). So- 553 called to stage 3- of whom 263, a little under half, were successful at interview and the various testing and verification stages.

There were (allegedly) 2 final posts filled from the 2017 panel who started yesterday- and are part of the 30 or so who didn't get induction training from the 2017 cohort- and are pencilled in for inclusion in the Feb training sessions.

Edit: the delay in some people starting- was to do with issues with the clearance process (apparently its supposed to be a lot faster for the 2018 new starts- however, that remains to be seen).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 LauraX

I'm very happy to be placed, I thought my verification results would result in failure.
    Do any current or former civil servants know if it's normal procedure to request to stay in your current department? If so, I'm wondering if I should approach PAS or my PO initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 James1988

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭doc22

James1988 wrote: »

There's no more internal transfer lists(except for organisations with more then one site in the same region) or head to heads from march, The mobility scheme is the only game it town and you'll be waiting a long time for a transfer as you'll be competing against civil servants in all other departments for the same transfer position

• Registered Users Posts: 20 James1988

LauraX wrote: »
    I'm very happy to be placed, I thought my verification results would result in failure.
    Do any current or former civil servants know if it's normal procedure to request to stay in your current department? If so, I'm wondering if I should approach PAS or my PO initially.

I'm an EO at the moment, and hoping to stay in my own dept. I think you need to talk to both your own HR and PAS. It might be best to talk to your own HR branch or PO before talking to PAS. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pixieprincess

I'm an EO at the moment, and hoping to stay in my own dept. I think you need to talk to both your own HR and PAS. It might be best to talk to your own HR branch or PO before talking to PAS. Good luck!

Same for me. Fingers crossed we get to stay in our own departments.

The top 553 were called- from whom there were 160 placed in Batch 1 and a further 103 placed from a second batch (interviewed at the end of April (from memory)). So- 553 called to stage 3- of whom 263, a little under half, were successful at interview and the various testing and verification stages.

There were (allegedly) 2 final posts filled from the 2017 panel who started yesterday- and are part of the 30 or so who didn't get induction training from the 2017 cohort- and are pencilled in for inclusion in the Feb training sessions.

Edit: the delay in some people starting- was to do with issues with the clearance process (apparently its supposed to be a lot faster for the 2018 new starts- however, that remains to be seen).

So, what happens in stage 3?

So, what happens in stage 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭SFC1895

LauraX wrote: »

Yeah, I stayed in my department last year when promoted to AO. Mention it to local HR and PAS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I'm sensing that a lot of successful applicants are currently working in the Civil Service?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

James1988 wrote: »

The mobility scheme provides a unified system across the civil service to process transfer applications. Up until now this was an adhoc system with numerous different approaches to it.

With regards to your new role, it was always the case that you were going to do at least two years in your initial posting, this is standard. That remains the same with the mobility scheme. The split that I mentioned earlier in the thread,

"EO* – 40% Open : 30% Interdepartmental** : 30% Internal.
    *The EO sequencing will revert to 50% Open : 25% Interdepartmental : 25% Internal on conclusion of the Public Service
    Stability Agreement, 2018-2020.
    **one in every two Interdepartmental vacancies to be filled by Mobility."

implies that until October 2020 15% (roughly 1/6th) of all EO positions will be filled by mobility transfers.

After that mobility will account for 12.5% (1/8th) of EO roles. The rest will be made up of open competitions, 50%, 25% from internal promotions from CO and 12.5% of promotional transfers from interdepartmental competitions. You will also be free to apply for promotion after a year or two, which will broaden your horizons too!

Two things need to be remembered here,

1. Regardless of all splits regarding internal/interdepartmental/open panels of candidates, rules are made to be broken and regularly are, if 'current business needs' require so. For example, if no current panel exists from open competitions, but some EO's are desperately needed, they can be taken from the interdepartmental or internal panel to fill the gap. They will worry about redressing the balance at a later date.

2. Don't be disheartened at being placed 9th or 10th on the mobility list for your chosen dept./office in your chosen zone. One a candidates ahead of you accepts an offer from any dept./office in that zone they are removed from the list for all other offices in that zone. E.g if you pick Revenue in Letterkenny and another candidate is ahead of you on the list for Letterkenny, but is offered and accepts another dept. in Letterkenny, then they're removed from the list and you move up one place.

My advice is apply for the mobility scheme the day you start your new job. It'll take two years before you are eligible, but you can apply immediately and you'll move on up the list during that time. Once you are eligible and you're at the top of the list. Off you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 corvettenut

Hi all, I got placed in the top 10 overall, I am a CO in the Civil Service but I can't travel to Dublin. I am in for two large regional centres with numerous Govt Offices. Just spoke to PAS feeling fairly defeated, it sounds like there is nothing outside of Dublin. Apparently only 4 appointments for regional areas over the course of the last panel. Was overjoyed yesterday with the news and feel like it was a pointless exercise now :(

If I recall correctly, there was a decentralisation plan rolled out by government 15 years ago.

The intention was to spread out State jobs nationwide... and not have every department clustered in Dublin.

Was it ever fully rolled out or did it fail in its infancy, does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 neilie22

Hi all, I got placed in the top 10 overall, I am a CO in the Civil Service but I can't travel to Dublin. I am in for two large regional centres with numerous Govt Offices. Just spoke to PAS feeling fairly defeated, it sounds like there is nothing outside of Dublin. Apparently only 4 appointments for regional areas over the course of the last panel. Was overjoyed yesterday with the news and feel like it was a pointless exercise now :(

I finished in the top 20 and am in a similar situation with only one regional county a runner for me....but if there is even one role in my preferred location I'd rather be in with a shot. Good luck.

• Advertisement

That’s very unfortunate, to go through that process, Place so highly and Not be able to take the job :(

Advertisement