Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer 2017 Campaign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tarpedo

By OOM do you mean your ranking on the AO panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 odelazy

Are references checked after an offer is made? I placed in the early 60s and am wondering when I should flag it to my current work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

odelazy wrote: »
    Are references checked after an offer is made? I placed in the early 60s and am wondering when I should flag it to my current work.

They will phone you and tell you they have reached your number on the panel, if you’re happy they will then contact your references.

It could take weeks/months, I would hold off unless you’re happy to let them know you’re on a panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ferney

Tarpedo wrote: »
    By OOM do you mean your ranking on the AO panel?
    Yes, sorry...I'm new to the PAS lingo!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Mmmm

I got late nineties in OOM.

It’s going to a long while yet but good to hear offers going out.

Congrats to those that have offers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 foggyflies

mockscraic wrote: »
    Long road, repeated attempts...same was said about AO campaigns haha! Thanks for the information about March. :)

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=OJ:C:2017:429A:FULL&from=EN There Is a current linguistic assistants comepetition open if you'd like to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bella1978

Ferney wrote: »
    I had an OOM of 11. I got a call today with an offer but I declined as it was in Dublin (as the vast majority of these positions are).
    Hi Ferney,

Congrats on doing so well in the competition. I'm way down in the 80s and am also unlikely to take a Dublin position if offered.

Did you get the option to remain on the panel for your chosen location after you declined the Dublin offer? Did they give you any hope with regards to your preferred location?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22 irishguy2017

Has anyone heard anything today?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 neilie22

Has anyone heard anything today?

Nope for me

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pixieprincess

I called today to get an update but the person dealing with the AO was on leave today. Should be back tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Ferney

Bella1978 wrote: »
    Ferney wrote: »
    I had an OOM of 11. I got a call today with an offer but I declined as it was in Dublin (as the vast majority of these positions are).
    Hi Ferney,

Congrats on doing so well in the competition. I'm way down in the 80s and am also unlikely to take a Dublin position if offered.

Did you get the option to remain on the panel for your chosen location after you declined the Dublin offer? Did they give you any hope with regards to your preferred location?
    Thanks

Thank you, I was very surprised to be honest! They asked me if i wanted to remain on the panel and when I said I did, I was asked to give two preferred counties. The counties I chose are in the West and I was told it would be very unlikely that positions would arise there. Best of luck to everyone who will be getting a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tarpedo

Anybody heard from PAS today?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Honestly- you're just going to have to be patient- things move slowly- but they do move.

Honestly- you're just going to have to be patient- things move slowly- but they do move.

I got my call today (in top 20), so as The Conductor said, things are moving! Unfortunately Dublin doesn't suit me, so I will be hoping for one of the few slots that might crop up outside the capital. Just my luck to perform so well in the competition with so few jobs outside Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Chocolate Teapot

neilie22 wrote: »
    I got my call today (in top 20), so as The Conductor said, things are moving! Unfortunately Dublin doesn't suit me, so I will be hoping for one of the few slots that might crop up outside the capital. Just my luck to perform so well in the competition with so few jobs outside Dublin.

Do you mind me asking what area you're holding out for? Seems like Dublin doesn't suit quite a few people.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pixieprincess

Yup I would love to know what areas the top30 are looking at outside Dublin? I am mid 20s so might get a call tomorrow. :)

Do you mind me asking what area you're holding out for? Seems like Dublin doesn't suit quite a few people.

I was hoping for the North West but I think it is now highly unlikely that a position will come up there given the fact that most will be in Dublin. Looks like more competitions ahead for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Chocolate Teapot

neilie22 wrote: »
    I was hoping for the North West but I think it is now highly unlikely that a position will come up there given the fact that most will be in Dublin. Looks like more competitions ahead for me...

That's really frustrating. Hopefully something will come up in your region. I'm hoping for Laois/Kildare, Dublin is just a bit too far for commuting :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

What most people do- is take the Dublin post- and after you've done your two years- put in for a transfer to a decentralised location.
    There are some AOs in Letterkenny, Sligo, Carrick-on-Shannon and elsewhere- but they didn't start there- they did their time in Dublin- and then when an opportunity arose- or they felt they had sufficient to make a case- they moved to a more suitable location.

Its always been the nature of AO posts- that they are predominantly HQ posts- more often than not with significant research and collaborative requirements- often stretching over multiple Departments and/or Agencies.

That's the nature of AO posts.

What most people do- is take the Dublin post- and after you've done your two years- put in for a transfer to a decentralised location.
    There are some AOs in Letterkenny, Sligo, Carrick-on-Shannon and elsewhere- but they didn't start there- they did their time in Dublin- and then when an opportunity arose- or they felt they had sufficient to make a case- they moved to a more suitable location.

Its always been the nature of AO posts- that they are predominantly HQ posts- more often than not with significant research and collaborative requirements- often stretching over multiple Departments and/or Agencies.

That's the nature of AO posts.

Is it 2 years probation for new entrants? I was already a civil servant prior to getting AO but only have 1 year probation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

AGC wrote: »
    Is it 2 years probation for new entrants? I was already a civil servant prior to getting AO but only have 1 year probation

You start the 2 year probation again on reassignment to your new role, I’ve been a civil servant for 8 years or so now and will have to complete 2 years probation as an AO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

You start the 2 year probation again on reassignment to your new role, I’ve been a civil servant for 8 years or so now and will have to complete 2 years probation as an AO.

No, one year's probation but 2 years before you can transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

What An Ri rua said; probation is 1 year, you're permanent after that. You're not eligible for internal promotions until 2 years in though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Apologies, 1 year probation. Though iirc it used to be 2

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

You're not eligible for internal promotions until 2 years in though.

well you need to have 2 years established service but it can be at any grade

so someone who was previously EO or CO for example need only have finished probation

Jaysus don’t know if I’ll hold out 2 years before a transfer

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭SFC1895

Jaysus don’t know if I’ll hold out 2 years before a transfer

Not enjoying the current role?

SFC1895 wrote: »
    Not enjoying the current role?

Unfortunately not but hopefully changes with time

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mockscraic

Unfortunately not but hopefully hangs with time

In same boat - secondment maybe? Not all say two years min...hoping that might be an option for me

• Advertisement

mockscraic wrote: »
    In same boat - secondment maybe? Not all say two years min...hoping that might be an option for me

Yeah possibly - just annoyed that the job is so far removed from the remit of an AO role that I had applied for

Advertisement