Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer 2017 Campaign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 sjka2013

Me three, I'm 260 :eek:. Although I don't hold much hope to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Anybody get offers this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pixieprincess

Anybody get offers this week?

Not yet. I am jumping every time the phone rings. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Conqueror

I'd suggest phoning PAS, and ask to be put through to the clearance team. They'll tell you how far along the panel they are. If your number is close, they might be able to give you a timeline of when to expect an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

quad_red wrote: »
    Really fantastic to hear such a positive experience.

I'm in my late 30's with a lot of experience and will (if I'm called) be taking a significant pay cut to take up an AO role. I've been private sector since graduating but always felt I wanted to work for the PS eventually in a policy area. The crash put that on ice for years but haven't been successful in getting in at AP level. Been to interview but I genuinely don't have the level of people management experience they're after.

My hope with the AO is that it will be a stepping stone (with a lot of hard work obviously. Not expecting anything automatic). And have heard some good news stories and some bad. But I'd leave my current role and salary because there is no more room for progression for something less well paid but with that potential for progression.

How specific are offers when they're made? Are you told the specific work area and department you're being offered? Maybe put out some feelers then to see what that section/dept is like?

I got told which Department by the PAS, and then when I got my offer letter from the Department it stated my assigned Division.

• Advertisement

Pas are moving through the panel again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Any idea what number in the OOM they are on?

Any idea what number in the OOM they are on?

They should be calling 26, 27 onwards from today on.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Chocolate Teapot

Did you get a location you're happy with? :)

Congrats and I hope you were placed somewhere agreeable to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 ellipticwot

I would welcome some advice from those who may have been in a similar situation, or from those who have a bit more experience with the civil service.

I was successfully placed on the most recent AO panel, and while I have not yet received a call regarding clearance and placement, I would expect to receive one in the near future. However, I have also reached the final interview stage for the role of Third Sec. in the Dept. of Foreign Affairs & Trade. Since this campaign is separate to the AO campaign, I am wondering what sort of scope is available to 'stall' on accepting an AO role until the interview results and OOM from the Third Sec. campaign are announced, if indeed I get the AO call before the Third Sec. results are released?

Also, while this is putting the cart before the horse, any further general advice regarding a decision between AO and Third Sec. would also be welcome.

Thank you.

I would welcome some advice from those who may have been in a similar situation, or from those who have a bit more experience with the civil service.

I was successfully placed on the most recent AO panel, and while I have not yet received a call regarding clearance and placement, I would expect to receive one in the near future. However, I have also reached the final interview stage for the role of Third Sec. in the Dept. of Foreign Affairs & Trade. Since this campaign is separate to the AO campaign, I am wondering what sort of scope is available to 'stall' on accepting an AO role until the interview results and OOM from the Third Sec. campaign are announced, if indeed I get the AO call before the Third Sec. results are released?

Also, while this is putting the cart before the horse, any further general advice regarding a decision between AO and Third Sec. would also be welcome.

Thank you.

If you phone PAS they’ll tell you what your options are in relation to turning down an offer. You may be moved to the bottom of the OOM etc, but definitely call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

They are separate open competitions. You can accept AO offer and even start the job without it affecting the 3rd sec competition. There is no reason to stall acceptance. Make the decision whether to move if and when you get an offer of appointment as a 3rd sec.

In fact any time you spend in the CS before you start as a 3rd sec will count towards service requirements for promotion etc so will be to your benefit. AO's and 3rd secs attend the same grad development program so can start that as an AO and continue if you are successful in the 3rd sec competition.

In my experience lots of people start civil service jobs and then leave almost immediately to another section or department as they are successful in another competition. Management are used to that happening and won't be too put out - most are happy to see people developing their career.

If you try to stall the AO job while you wait to hear about 3rd sec you could end up with neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tarpedo

Just wondering when was the 3rd sec recruitment drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 vicrox

I haven’t had mine yet!! Anyone had theirs? How did it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ellipticwot

@Halloween_Jack & @PCX: Thank you, much appreciated.

@Tarpedo: It's a continuation of last year's campaign, which opened in May 2017 if I recall correctly.

@Halloween_Jack & @PCX: Thank you, much appreciated.

@Tarpedo: It's a continuation of last year's campaign, which opened in May 2017 if I recall correctly.

Best of luck with both;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭Augme

PCX wrote: »
    They are separate open competitions. You can accept AO offer and even start the job without it affecting the 3rd sec competition. There is no reason to stall acceptance. Make the decision whether to move if and when you get an offer of appointment as a 3rd sec.

In fact any time you spend in the CS before you start as a 3rd sec will count towards service requirements for promotion etc so will be to your benefit. AO's and 3rd secs attend the same grad development program so can start that as an AO and continue if you are successful in the 3rd sec competition.

In my experience lots of people start civil service jobs and then leave almost immediately to another section or department as they are successful in another competition. Management are used to that happening and won't be too put out - most are happy to see people developing their career.

If you try to stall the AO job while you wait to hear about 3rd sec you could end up with neither.

I think AO and Third Sec are considered to be on the same grade level, in which case you can't go from one to the other. In the Civil Service you can only leave your grade if you get a promotion. I'm not 100% sure on that but I think it is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Augme wrote: »
    I think AO and Third Sec are considered to be on the same grade level, in which case you can't go from one to the other. In the Civil Service you can only leave your grade if you get a promotion. I'm not 100% sure on that but I think it is the case.

If they are open competitions there is no problem moving between them

It's only confined competitions that restrict such movement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Augme wrote: »

Doesn’t matter what grade you are, you can leave for another grade if offered. Plenty of people have gone HEO to AO or AO to 3rd sec, 1st sec to AP etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

AGC wrote: »
    Doesn’t matter what grade you are, you can leave for another grade if offered. Plenty of people have gone HEO to AO or AO to 3rd sec, 1st sec to AP etc...

So you’ve got to wait two years to apply internally for promotion, right.

But you can apply for full external competitions all ye like?

So you’ve got to wait two years to apply internally for promotion, right.

But you can apply for full external competitions all ye like?

Once your probabtion is complete is the norm for internal and once you have required qualifications for external

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Once your probabtion is complete is the norm for internal and once you have required qualifications for external

Probation is now normally by way of a 1 year 'contract' on the elapse of which, subject to satisfactory performance, you are made permanent. You're not eligible to go for internal promotion- until you have served a further year in your substantive grade.

Probation is now normally by way of a 1 year 'contract' on the elapse of which, subject to satisfactory performance, you are made permanent. You're not eligible to go for internal promotion- until you have served a further year in your substantive grade.

Is this as a new entrant to the service? I know of people who were out of 1 year probabtion and promoted internally in their second year. They would have been existing civil servants prior to the probabtion - if that makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mockscraic

Is this as a new entrant to the service? I know of people who were out of 1 year probabtion and promoted internally in their second year. They would have been existing civil servants prior to the probabtion - if that makes sense!

I would say that's the case, they look for two years of service (typically, not always!), not two years of service as a certain grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tarpedo

Any idea where they are this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Otsuka

Mid 30's and got a Dublin offer this morning ...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 irishguy2017

congrats, did you accept it or are you looking for a regional offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

If you get promoted via an internal competition, you are also subject to a one year probation. However, it's slightly different that you get reverted to the grade you left if it doesn't work out.

I'm not sure what happens to internal candidates who are promoted via open competitions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Otsuka

congrats, did you accept it or are you looking for a regional offer?

Hoping for a regional offer but it doesn't look very promising.
    I have not given a definite answer as yet..

Advertisement