Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best finish hardwood floor

• 22-09-2017 9:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi, recently got an engineered 18mm oak floor laid in the hall and kitchen so a lot of foot traffic plus possible spills in the kitchen.

Came out of the box stained and oiled according to the product description although to be honest the longer it's been down the less I like the finish. It's dull, no depth and looks very dry as though it hasn't been oiled. So basically looking for suggestions on the best type of finish. Have a bit of experience with finishing furniture I've made & restored, tables, shelving and whatnot but never a floor.

Did a few tests using off cuts with Danish topped off with shellac. Looks far far better than what's on the floor.

* Not sure though if a shellac finish would be suitable long term though?

* Or would multiple coats of Danish, sanded between and last coat buffed be better?

* Have never used hard wax oil but seems to be another option for flooring. Better option than the above?

The one thing I don't want is a varnished finish.

Any suggestions appreciated

Cheers

Advertisement