Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interclub team formats & handicap brackets

Options
  • 22-09-2017 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭

Recently been cut so having played PP for the last few years I'm to good for the team next year :D So what can I play in???

I figured maybe we can have a thread, maybe keep a master table or something up the top with the different options.

I'll kick it off with the only one I really know about and if you want to add anything I can keep the table updated.

Competition Run By Format Location Handicap From Handicap to Handicap Rules Starts
    Pierce Purcell GUI Straight Foresomes Reginal, then Provincial, then All Ireland 12 p/y No Max Minimum combined 27 April/May

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

Plenty of threads on this before. At 10/11 you'd be Jimmy Bruen Samr format as PP but lower H/C and also depending on where you live if in leinster you'd be Metro/Provincial towns for Singles and Barton Cup for Team also

Senior Cup - 5 on a team, off scratch, singles strokeplay initially to qualify and then singles matchplay after that.
    Barton Shield - 4 on a team, two pairs of foursomes, off scratch
    Junior Cup - 5 on a team, lowest h/cap of 5 (in previous year), singles strokeplay initially to qualify and then singles matchplay after that.
    Jimmy Bruen - 10 on a team, 5 pairs of foursomes, minimum combined h/cap of a pair of 17, the lowest allowed being 6 (again, previous year handicaps). Foursomes strokeplay to qualify and foursomes matchplay after that.
    Barton Cup - 10 on a team, 5 pairs of foursomes, minimum combined h/cap of a pair of 14 with no lower limits. Foursomes matchplay all the way baby.
    Pierce Purcell is a combined 27 with the lowest being 12... again 10 on a team, foursomes, strokeplay to qualify and then matchplay.
    Metropolitan Trophy / Provincial Towns Cup - 9 on a team, singles matchplay, lowest h/cap of 9. Metro is in Dublin, Provincial Towns for those outside The Pale. Both competitions are run the same but don't mix. Would be nice to have the winners of each competition meet in a further final!
    Irish Mixed Foursomes - Combined minimum of 19, Foursomes matchplay, Man & Woman, shots are given/received depending on handicaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

I've heard that they are changing the brackets for these for the coming year? Anyone else hear that? lowest of 11 for PP and combined 26, lowest of 5 for Bruen and combined 16 etc. junior cup lowest of 4 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

slingerz wrote: »
    I've heard that they are changing the brackets for these for the coming year? Anyone else hear that? lowest of 11 for PP and combined 26, lowest of 5 for Bruen and combined 16 etc. junior cup lowest of 4 etc.

The entry forms for next years comp's are already out to the clubs and they make no mention of these changes.

Saying that though the 2018 GUI tournament conditions book is the guide for all the comps and I haven't seen one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

That would be a welcome addition as a 4 HC is kinda no man's land. Too low for Junior Cup and too high for the scratch comps.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

If junior cup drops to 4 I'll never get on it again. We have a scatter of 4's in the club

• Advertisement

Rikand wrote: »
    If junior cup drops to 4 I'll never get on it again. We have a scatter of 4's in the club

I haven't played JC yet and was looking forward to it this year but missed it for personal reasons. I've dropped to 4 now so would love it if the new lower limit was 4.

I'll actually be available for jimmy bruen next year. First time I've been available for it in about 10 years

Of course if it drops to 5 I won't be good enough for that team either :)

i heard about these changes earlier in the year aruond the time the prelimary rounds of the Bruen were on. Now never heard it confirmed but the idea was that those off 4 were in no mans land in a lot of clubs so it would give them a chance to play interclub comps

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Competition Run By Format Location Handicap From Handicap to Handicap Rules Starts
    Pierce Purcell GUI 5 pairs straight Foresomes. Strokes to qualify then Matchplay knockout Reginal, then Provincial, then All Ireland 12 p/y No Max Minimum combined 27 April/May
    Senior Cup 5 on a team, off scratch, singles strokeplay initially to qualify and then singles matchplay after that.
    Barton Shield 4 on a team, two pairs of foursomes, off scratch
    Junior Cup 5 on a team, singles strokeplay initially to qualify and then singles matchplay after that. 5 p/y
    Jimmy Bruen 5 pairs of foursomes. Strokeplay to qualify and foursomes matchplay after that. 6 p/y Minimum combined 17
    Barton Cup 5 pairs of foursomes matchplay all the way baby. no lower Minimum combined 14
    Metropolitan Trophy 9 on a team, singles matchplay. Dublin 9
    Provincial Towns Cup 9 on a team, singles matchplay. Outside the Pale 9
    Irish Mixed Foursomes Foursomes matchplay, Man & Woman, shots are given/received depending on handicaps. Minimum combined 19

cheers guys

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

GUI ALL-IRELAND FOUR-BALL

5 pairs of fourball matchplay

Regional, then Provincial, then All Ireland

Handicap from 16 (over 30 yrs old), Minimum combined 36

April/May

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

i heard about these changes earlier in the year aruond the time the prelimary rounds of the Bruen were on. Now never heard it confirmed but the idea was that those off 4 were in no mans land in a lot of clubs so it would give them a chance to play interclub comps

It has been proposed before and defeated at least once. I'd love it to happen myself but I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Planning on moving clubs myself. Joined my current club at the start of 2017 and my lowest h/c was 5.0.

Can i play junior cup at my new club? Is there a good chance it's a closed shop for any new members?

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭SEORG

Planning on moving clubs myself. Joined my current club at the start of 2017 and my lowest h/c was 5.0.

Can i play junior cup at my new club? Is there a good chance it's a closed shop for any new members?

As long as you have 4 counting cards in for 2017 and didn't go below 4.5 you are eligible to play Junior Cup for your new club.

The closed shop is a question for the team manager I would think. Can't imagine you would be excluded if you are good enough.

SEORG wrote: »
    As long as you have 4 counting cards in for 2017 and didn't go below 4.5 you are eligible to play Junior Cup for your new club.

The closed shop is a question for the team manager I would think. Can't imagine you would be excluded if you are good enough.

yeah more than enough cards in. the bigger question probably is how my handicap will travel to the new course. longer and potentially more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

For the mixed foursomes the max combined is 27 so a max of 4 shots can be given in a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

Going to be voted on next month.

https://www.golfnet.ie/news/gui/2730/gui-clubs-to-decide-on-inter-club-proposals

Poker Face wrote: »

I'd agree to them all except changing pierce purcell to scotch foursomes

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Attended the Leinster ADM last night,

As these changes affected national Competitions all branches must vote on them.

The other branches are holding their ADMS tonight tomorrow and Thursday.

Results will be collected and returned to GUI HQ and may be announced on Friday.

Are you able to share the results of the following?

14.5 Junior Cup 5 to 4
    14.6 Jimmy Bruen 6 to 5
    14.12 Qualifying comps from 4 to 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Rikand wrote: »
    I'd agree to them all except changing pierce purcell to scotch foursomes

I thought this was a great shout. Watched a good bit of it recently. The strokes qualifying in particular is a mess. Even the #1 qualifying team had 7/8/9s on the cards.

Softening (and probably quickening) up the competition for the teen handicaps looks like a good call from what I’ve seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Are you able to share the results of the following?

14.5 Junior Cup 5 to 4
    14.6 Jimmy Bruen 6 to 5
    14.12 Qualifying comps from 4 to 10

Afraid not Leinster did not announce the leinster results last night.

Not much discussion so hard to gauge support or otherwise for the proposals.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

That would be a welcome addition as a 4 HC is kinda no man's land. Too low for Junior Cup and too high for the scratch comps.

Agree with this - the idea of a 4 handicap player on Senior cup was off the wall.

Welcome change for me, but I think in general a good move if the case.

Agree with this - the idea of a 4 handicap player on Senior cup was off the wall.

Welcome change for me, but I think in general a good move if the case.

Me too as I haven't played junior cup yet and dropped to 4 this year. Really is no man's land.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

- the idea of a 4 handicap player on Senior cup was off the wall.

Not so sure I agree with this Fix. I've been part of a team of 4 handicappers that once beat a high profile team who's combined handicap was something like +2. I think we had a 3, three 4s and a 5 from memory. It happens (sometimes). Too many teams have scratch men who are realistically maybe decent 3s IMO. I think if a club wants to enter their lowest guys into a competition, then fair enough. Obviously within reason of course, but 4 is hardly stretching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Russman wrote: »
    Not so sure I agree with this Fix. I've been part of a team of 4 handicappers that once beat a high profile team who's combined handicap was something like +2. I think we had a 3, three 4s and a 5 from memory. It happens (sometimes). Too many teams have scratch men who are realistically maybe decent 3s IMO. I think if a club wants to enter their lowest guys into a competition, then fair enough. Obviously within reason of course, but 4 is hardly stretching it.

But most clubs are going to have a good batch of lads from scratch to 3.

Not sure a 4 handicap player or say a guy who just hit 4 once in the year has a role in team.

I'd say your describing an exception with your win - fair play.
    You could have had a batch of very very good 3/4/5 players.

To extrapolate your point - a guy off 4/5 could realistically be a decent 7/8.

I just think the gap from 4 to say scratch/1/2 is just too big.

Not sure a 4 handicap player or say a guy who just hit 4 once in the year has a role in team.

I agree. A 4 HC can beat anyone on their day but there's a massive gulf between a 4 and 0 or even +2.

Pretty sure that my clubs Senior cup team has 6 handicappers in it.

Now they are not a successful club but there are plenty more instances of more 'rural' clubs not having the number of players at a low handicap for these teams.

I do know examples of the 4 man being in no mans land in certain clubs, even a 3 man not being part of the team whereas they'd be a cornerstone for my club

I agree. A 4 HC can beat anyone on their day but there's a massive gulf between a 4 and 0 or even +2.

often wondered this.

I would see a scratch golfer in my club equivalent to a 3/4 handicapper in a course like Tralee/Lahinch etc. I would imagine the home course has a considerable influence on the capability of a player at each handicap

• Advertisement

Guys, how do the pairs for jimmy bruen usually get matched up?

Would most pairs have a low man and a high man e.g. 6 & 11, 7 & 10? and the minority have two guys at the same level 8&9, 9&9 etc?

Would pairs with a combined h/c of 20 and over be very rare?

Advertisement