Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi-LIDL Specials - Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

There's one of these camera\light in the cabinet in Coolock now reduced to €39.99 ( well as of 10:15!! ) if anybody is looking for one......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

So far so good for me on the not auto turning off, and the loop recording. Only had a chance to view the videos - seemed to be ok, but couldn't find frame to frame advance on vlc in the 5 minutes I had. Definitely a bit of bleed from the light in the bottom right (as viewed), and contrast was a bit all over the place with passing cars but number plates seemed to readable* - I just couldn't pause it fast enough!

*Still waiting on the 32gb card in the post - definitely a must as the 8gb wasn't enough to get me in and out on even a relatively short commute and then the early bits were over written as can't download at work. Also couldn't see the very darkest part of my commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Macy0161 wrote: »
    So far so good for me on the not auto turning off, and the loop recording. Only had a chance to view the videos - seemed to be ok, but couldn't find frame to frame advance on vlc in the 5 minutes I had. Definitely a bit of bleed from the light in the bottom right (as viewed), and contrast was a bit all over the place with passing cars but number plates seemed to readable* - I just couldn't pause it fast enough!

*Still waiting on the 32gb card in the post - definitely a must as the 8gb wasn't enough to get me in and out on even a relatively short commute and then the early bits were over written as can't download at work. Also couldn't see the very darkest part of my commute.

I turn the *light* part onto the lowest setting, I have another light on my helmet so I'm really only using it as a camera.

I turn the *light* part onto the lowest setting, I have another light on my helmet so I'm really only using it as a camera.
    It wasn't on the top setting, but wasn't an issue really in terms of capturing number plates. It's a better light than I have so was really hoping to use it full blast on the commute home which will include some unlight rural roads!

Will report back how it coped, and then start looking at other options if it's not good so I can go low setting. I haven't loads of seat post left though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,010 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So far so good for me on the not auto turning off, and the loop recording. Only had a chance to view the videos - seemed to be ok, but couldn't find frame to frame advance on vlc in the 5 minutes I had.
    Turn on the 'advanced controls' in the view menu. The frame-by-frame looks like a red temperature gauge.

Is anyone else finding issues with some video players. It is as if the video formats aren't perfect and some video players have trouble with them. VLC is OK, but WMP often freezes video, while audio plays on. It's not just a WMP issue - a couple of other players have problems with the files too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Aldi Enniscorthy, Merino lined winter jackets,€9.99. A good bit of other winter gear half price or less too. Might be nationwide in their reduced section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Aldi Enniscorthy, Merino lined winter jackets,€9.99. A good bit of other winter gear half price or less too. Might be nationwide in their reduced section.
    most shops cleared out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Camera and light combo still in stock in ashbourne for 40 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

One in Sallynoggin for sure. Yours for €39.99.

One in greystones too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    most shops cleared out
    forgot to mention, probably at least half a dozen left in aldi in ashbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Cakewheels

One in Sallynoggin for sure. Yours for €39.99.

Thanks for this alert! When I saw people above saying issue they reported appears to have been fixed I was kicking myself I hadn't got one so jumped on the bike as soon as I saw your post. Haven't been to that store before so very impressed with the bike parking too. The driving standards at one of the junctions nearby not so much.

Should've added, they had a good few of the black cycling jackets left at 9.99, mainly large or xl, a couple of mediums, and some small in the womens cut. Just for reference, I'm a medium in normal clothes, but was large in these (would've got away with the medium over just a jersey, but it'll be my winter commuter jacket).

I'm not sure whether the reduced jackets were the last specials or the one before, as most of what was left wasn't reduced - rain jackets, gloves, arm and leg warmers etc weren't reduced anyway.

And finally, wasn't that impressed with the night time/ dark footage from the camera on review over the weekend. I don't think the bleed, while noticeable, was the issue but passing vehicles headlights meant I couldn't read number plates. But having said that, didn't have anything like a close pass so could be just the angle in the lens - it's definitely clearer the nearer to centre. Still tempted by the cycliq front camera, but it will have to wait a while.

And finally, wasn't that impressed with the night time/ dark footage from the camera on review over the weekend. I don't think the bleed, while noticeable, was the issue but passing vehicles headlights meant I couldn't read number plates. But having said that, didn't have anything like a close pass so could be just the angle in the lens - it's definitely clearer the nearer to centre. Still tempted by the cycliq front camera, but it will have to wait a while.

Damn it, I've just had a horrendus and very dangerous incident with a construction van and I can't read either the reg number or the company name from the footage despite the fact it goes for several mins :( so basically it's useless in pitch dark. Do other cameras work in night conditions with headlights beaming down on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jerseyman

With the camera attached to a PC, Right click on the VER file and choose "Open with" and choose note pad.

The original was 17060801_V3

If yours says that, then the upgrade didn't work. Try unzipping the .rar and use the final file instead JL_AC51.bfu

It does say to reformat the card when done too.

Possibly worth noting, with a Fly6 firmware update, once you add the file, you disconnect from the PC and push the start button once, rather than holding it in to turn the camera on, if that makes sense.

cheers for that, have updated the camera as was turning off on the commute. will see tomorrow how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jerseyman

Damn it, I've just had a horrendus and very dangerous incident with a construction van and I can't read either the reg number or the company name from the footage despite the fact it goes for several mins :( so basically it's useless in pitch dark. Do other cameras work in night conditions with headlights beaming down on them?

This is my first camera for the bike but agree the night time footage is patchy but is clearer to the centre of the lens. I have a Moon Shield 60 Lumen rear light on flash mode and notice the reg plates flashing completely white and going to dark with the reg being readable. So not sure what the right combination with the camera is, less bright rear or spotlight rear. I don't use the light function and am happy enough. Hopefully will never have to look at the footage and just have part of my half dozen "attach & turn on lights" routine in the evening

jerseyman wrote: »
    This is my first camera for the bike but agree the night time footage is patchy but is clearer to the centre of the lens. I have a Moon Shield 60 Lumen rear light on flash mode and notice the reg plates flashing completely white and going to dark with the reg being readable. So not sure what the right combination with the camera is, less bright rear or spotlight rear. I don't use the light function and am happy enough. Hopefully will never have to look at the footage and just have part of my half dozen "attach & turn on lights" routine in the evening

I'm going to move the light to my helmet tomorrow to see if that improves things. It's the glare from the van's lights that's causing the problem. Mind you, I'd have to figure out how to mute the sound before sending it to anyone... :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Picked up the last one in clonee this evening - €39.99 so worth a punt

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Picked up the last one in clonee this evening - €39.99 so worth a punt

A cracking light if nothing else

So far so good this morning - quality is good enough to identify number plates, so will see how it goes in the dark on the way home later.

Was altered to a driver trying an over take and left hook on me at this location. They do this to get to the left turning lane - this location is pretty notorious for it. I travel down the bus lane, turning right into Castleknock.

https://goo.gl/maps/BxU2VoSB6XL2

Even taking primary, signalling to move right and lit up really well, they'll still overtake and swing in front to get to that red light in the left lane. Looking at the footage, the driver initially tried, but thought twice and tucked back in behind me, but having the camera for this situation will be invaluable in future. Had a pretty crazy near miss in the same location a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    So far so good this morning - quality is good enough to identify number plates, so will see how it goes in the dark on the way home later.
    Haven't tried to change any settings, but found it pretty poor on my unlit road night time footage. Couldn't make out number plates. No near misses either though, so potentially could've been better at a better angle for the camera.

Haven't tried to change any settings, but found it pretty poor on my unlit road night time footage. Couldn't make out number plates. No near misses either though, so potentially could've been better at a better angle for the camera.

Yeah thanks for the feedback. For a €40 camera, it'll be interesting to see how I fair out in the dark - my commute is from central to west Dublin along largely lit roads (with the exception of the phoenix park).

Couple of pinch points for me are along the quays - plenty of close passes in the new bike / bus lane leading from O'Connell Street and also the bike lane along Guinness heading to Park Gate Street.

You have to do a bit of pausing & playing to catch a number plate - if it's not a close pass it's nearly impossible but that's fine. Took me a good few goes last week to get one but eventually got it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Re the rear bike camera/light does anyone know how to turn down/off the annoyingly loud beeps that you get when it's turned on/off?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Don't think any camera this size can really pick up a reg plate properly especially when car headlights are shining into the camera lense, but ithe footage I'm sure can be enhanced in the unlikely event of someone being seriously injured or God forbid killed. Hopefully it will be a deterrent of drivers who don't give a crap about other people's lives. I'd rather have the camera capturing footage than having nothing

NBar wrote: »
    I'd rather have the camera capturing footage than having nothing

I haven't had a camera up to now, so yeah better than nothing. I have a dual front light - it's an unusual enough looking yoke - one strobe one constant beam side by side.

I've pretended it's a camera in the past and it's worked, so less of the usual "fcuk off you were all over the road" guff you might get if they think they're not being recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,010 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You have to do a bit of pausing & playing to catch a number plate - if it's not a close pass it's nearly impossible but that's fine. Took me a good few goes last week to get one but eventually got it!

Use the frame-by-frame option in VLC player - it can take a while but it is more reliable than trying to pause at the right spot.

So you managed to get the reg of the idiot that you posted about? That's a bit better - I think someone posted earlier in the thread where to do frame by frame on vlc earlier, which definitely helps.

So you managed to get the reg of the idiot that you posted about? That's a bit better - I think someone posted earlier in the thread where to do frame by frame on vlc earlier, which definitely helps.

Yes it got it eventually but will download VLC to have for future ref.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

5 of the camera/rear light combos in Aldi Carrick on Suir (€50 ish?)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Advertisement