Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi-LIDL Specials - Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,010 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

CramCycle wrote: »
    Well my rear light camera just gave up the ghost, had been working brilliantly up until two days ago. I had forgotten to charge it and it died on the commute and now won't turn on.

Turns on when I plug it into a wall socket but dies as soon as I plug it out.

They're usually pretty good with their three year guarantee.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They're usually pretty good with their three year guarantee.
    Receipt is almost illegible but will give it a try

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Co2 canisters in Aldi are €4.99 for 3. 16g too

Picked up 4 packs today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Borderfox wrote: »

Picked up 4 packs today

Is it not a 4 pack?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Haven't been in since, but happened to be there at 9 on sunday morning - there was a queue outside, but the scrum was for the bogball gear rather than cycling at my local store, so I don't know how they're selling. Baselayers and CO2 was my main look out. And a few socks. I thought the rucksacks looked ok for commuting/ mtb, and had one in the trolley at one stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Haven't been in since, but happened to be there at 9 on sunday morning - there was a queue outside, but the scrum was for the bogball gear rather than cycling at my local store, so I don't know how they're selling. Baselayers and CO2 was my main look out. And a few socks. I thought the rucksacks looked ok for commuting/ mtb, and had one in the trolley at one stage!

I got the base layer, bag and socks.

The base layer is very good as its more of a summer base layer.
    I had it on under my Gabba yesterday it was perfect as my other base layers are a bit too warm at the moment to wear with anything like a Gabba.

The socks are a nice color but the are really only ankle socks and that's in a size 9-11.

The bag really doesn't hold much as their is two rods in the back which limits what you can put in it but for 14 bucks it will do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Myself and buddy got a jacket each, lucky we went in at opening, there were only 2 of each size! Seem pretty good. We will see when the rain comes.....oh, it's here already:-(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

<Mod Note> Moved from BA forum. Though it's great to get the alert there, everytime there's an Aldi or LIDL sale, it clogs up the BA thread

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Borderfox wrote: »

Picked up 4 packs today

Ok for B&M but my last order was €21.29 for 20 all in so I wouldn't go nuts stocking up.

• Advertisement

My OH hasn't used C02 before so I suggested the other night she try out the ones I got here rather than learn on the road. She was like a demon this morning when she arrived out to flat tyres. Whoops :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

My OH hasn't used C02 before so I suggested the other night she try out the ones I got here rather than learn on the road. She was like a demon this morning when she arrived out to flat tyres. Whoops :o

What had happened?

What had happened?

She'd tried it out on Sunday so by this morning the Co2 was gone from the tyres. I never thought to tell her that would happen. I could feel the lasers on the back of my head as I deployed the track pump , she was already running late.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

She'd tried it out on Sunday so by this morning the Co2 was gone from the tyres. I never thought to tell her that would happen. I could feel the lasers on the back of my head as I deployed the track pump , she was already running late.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

REally? I just bought some, does this mean that if i use them on a ride i need to deflate and repump them with track pump when i get home? the C02 will slowly leak out through the tube, presumably by osmosis?

Seems odd considering 20% of air or so is 02, I would have assumed CO2 would be a larger molecule. But i am not a scientist. I did not know this, thanks for the post.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

CO2 leaks out faster than air. i don't understand why either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It turns out however that the leakage rate of CO2 is huge, and the reason is that it is actually soluble in butyl rubber and is thus not constrained to normal permeation loss, it can transfer straight through the bulk rubber resulting in severe tire pressure loss on the order of a single day. CO2 is not likely to be replaced by argon or other gases in refill cartridges, however, because CO2 is much more easily liquefied than other gases and can be contained in a moderate-pressure cartridge in a patch kit. An analogous cartridge holding N2 or argon (non-liquified gas) would be dangerous and would require a thick (and very heavy) steel-walled storage vessel.
    http://www.velonews.com/2009/02/bikes-and-tech/technical-qa-with-lennard-zinn-large-molecules-and-short-frames_87175

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

CO2 leaks out faster than air. i don't understand why either.

From a google search:
    Molecular Size N2 smallest, O2 next CO2 biggest.

The loss of CO2 through the rubber is called permeation. CO2 permeates the rubber faster since it is more soluble in the rubber than the N2 and O2.

This is because it is a polar molecule (slightly positve on one end and negative on the other end). This allows the CO2 to wiggle into the rubber better. (good science eh).

This effect is well known and used to separate CO2 from many gases. High CO2 permeability is common to alot of polymers.

Edit: Crossed with your post - you beat me to it, but i will leave this one up anyway for info/confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It's a the Lord giveth, the Lord taketh away situation.

The polarity of CO2 (at least, the slightly negative oxygen extremities) allows it to liquefy easily, but also makes it butyl-soluble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Are Aldi doing Chemistry Sets ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Are Aldi doing Chemistry Sets ?

Well, given your expressed interest in Chemistry (don't try to back out now), the tendency for oxygen to hog a bit more of the electrons that it's sharing with the carbon, making the oxygen slightly negative and the carbon slightly positive, is also the reason you can get cheap foggy effects in stage shows and old movies: carbon dioxide forms a solid (dry ice) at a relatively high temperature, and it turns straight back into a gas at standard temperature and pressure.

See the carbon atoms and oxygen atoms pointing at each other in this Wikipedia schematic diagram of solid carbon dioxide:
    220px-Carbon-dioxide-crystal-3D-vdW.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Well, given your expressed interest in Chemistry (don't try to back out now), the tendency for oxygen to hog a bit more of the electrons that it's sharing with the carbon, making the oxygen slightly negative and the carbon slightly positive, is also the reason you can get cheap foggy effects in stage shows and old movies: carbon dioxide forms a solid (dry ice) at a relatively high temperature, and it turns straight back into a gas at standard temperature and pressure.

See the carbon atoms and oxygen atoms pointing at each other in this Wikipedia schematic diagram of solid carbon dioxide:
    220px-Carbon-dioxide-crystal-3D-vdW.png

Agh, so right. Nothing like a bit of chemistry in the pale moon light :-)

i dunno about this claim about nitrogen needing a heavy pressurised vessel. the physics faculty in UCD had (has?) a liquid nitrogen plant and you could just pop down and pick up a flask of it without so much as a by-your-leave. was great fun to play with.

that said, might be impractical to carry it around on the bike with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

i dunno about this claim about nitrogen needing a heavy pressurised vessel. the physics faculty in UCD had (has?) a liquid nitrogen plant and you could just pop down and pick up a flask of it without so much as a by-your-leave. was great fun to play with.

your ride could end badly too:

t1000out.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭griffin100

Ha I remember that plant, totally unsupervised access to a liquid N2 machine - come in and full your flask free of charge. Has been gone years now.

goddamn elfen safety.

i used to pour small bits onto my hand. leidenfrost effect FTW.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

goddamn elfen safety.

i used to pour small bits onto my hand. leidenfrost effect FTW.

I remember the safety training where they showed you videos of people doing this. All I could think was, why would you show this to anyone who has access to it, fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

loyatemu wrote: »
    your ride could end badly too:

t1000out.jpg

That nitrogen isn't/wasn't pressurised, just liquid as it is so cold as the energy is constantly drawn off to keep it cold and therefore in liquid form.

The CO2 cannister is pressurised to make the gas into a liquid, it doesn't have a cooling system with it. When pierced the pressurised liquid vents, takes energy (heat) from the atmosphere to become it's natural state at room temp (gas). Which is why the cannister gets really cold.

You can't do this with nitrogen as it massively expands compared to CO2 at room temp, so the internal pressure of a nitrogen cylinder would far exceed a standard gas cylinders ability to withstand. BANG!

This is why all the nitrogen trucks and storage facilities are directly vented to atmosphere (and painted white to reflect heat), a couple of degrees increase in heat means the volume of nitrogen increases by 30%, so if the cooling fails there is not a dangerous pressure build up.

You'd need a 2kg cyclinder to carry 16g of nitrogen compared to the current one.

DON'T RUIN THE JOKE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Before I go rooting any further, can anyone confirm whether the camera/ light came with a fitting for an aero seat post?
    Found the fitting after getting the confirmation, but I mustn't have tightened it down properly on Saturdays spin, and by the time I noticed the swinging light, it was needle in a haystack stuff (happened on a longish descent).

Advertisement