Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi-LIDL Specials - Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Anyone bought the indoor bike trainer in the past, is it any good or is it best to stick to getting out over the weekends in the winter time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

James 007 wrote: »
    Anyone bought the indoor bike trainer in the past, is it any good or is it best to stick to getting out over the weekends in the winter time.

A few lads commented on it about 10 posts ago

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

James 007 wrote: »

Tis wonderful, I mean wonderful if your a plane spotter and can't get out to the airport and want the sound a of a plane landing in your sitting room :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Any feedback on the waterproof socks? Would they be any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Galego wrote:

I have them and they are great. Essential purchase for winter cycling and MTB. Dry feet= Not cold feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Galego wrote: »

I have them too, they're brilliant and will be picking up another pair on Sunday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Would they make your feet sweaty?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Would they make your feet sweaty?

Oddly no, and even more oddly, they rarely smell!!! I'm not sure I should admit to this but I'd often get a whole week out of them :o (they're also nice & warm in cooler weather so wear even when not raining). I obviously change out of them when I get to work! Also I don't have smelly feet so that might have something to do with it :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

so waterproof socks or overshoes (if I was only go to buy one or the other)?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

loyatemu wrote: »
    so waterproof socks or overshoes (if I was only go to buy one or the other)?
    I'm not sure it's an either/ or, but I'd personally use overshoes more regularly than waterproof socks (or them combined) to be honest. I'd say it depends on what footwear you're using as to whether overshoes will work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I bought the overshoes last year and I found them excellent. The fit was really good and they certainly worked for all day audaxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I also really like the winter gloves. I've bought them for the last few years and again they're a great glove for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,344 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

just be careful and don't end up coming home with a chainsaw, water pressure hose and assorted gardening implements especially if you live in an apartment

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

silverharp wrote: »
    just be careful and don't end up coming home with a chainsaw, water pressure hose and assorted gardening implements especially if you live in an apartment

To be fair, after painting the inside of my apartment with the paint sprayer, the leaf blower comes in very handy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I picked up two of the long sleeved merino base layers, two pairs of merino socks, head band, arm warmers, buff, and fingerless gloves. Hard to beat such good value for merino stuff in a B&M shop (that has a great refund/exchange policy also). Picked up a bottle of dry lube and bike cleaner as I am about to run out.

While I in Aldi I saw the manager taking all of the these bike lights (front and rear) back OFF shelves :confused:

Bikemate-White-Front-Bike-Lights-A.jpg?o=nCjVfcWe6ARKl%24mrnVeZDtscHm8j&V=c1D0&w=200&h=250&p=2&q=88

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Wow thats strange. I picked up two pairs of the waterproof socks, the overshoes, the headband, the two gloves, and the long johns as they are very good value for 100% merino. The merino socks havent a great merino content so didnt pick them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

got two of the locks before the person beside me bought them all he filled up his trolley with locks and bike saddles he must have a lot of bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Didn't see any long-sleeved merino base layers (in Terenure), all the ones there seemed to be short-sleeved.

Got a pair of gloves, size small, but they're not at all as snug-fitting as the ones I got… ohh, last year or the year before.

In relation to stuff being taken off shelves, I saw someone in Lidl unloading a fridge of those French apple tarts they have - maybe this is for redistributing stuff to other branches?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Merino Base layers are quality (100% wool) as are the lozenge shaped bike lights, picked up a lock and seems excellent for the money. The neoprene gloves seem thin but nothing to compare to.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

AmberGold wrote: »
    Merino Base layers are quality (100% wool) as are the lozenge shaped bike lights, picked up a lock and seems excellent for the money. The neoprene gloves seem thin but nothing to compare to.

Was in Sallynoggin and Greystones store this morning. Didn’t see either of these in either store..

Very limited stock of everything in Sallynoggin at 930am- Greystones had much more this afternoon..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,344 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

got the water proof socks, agora bottoms and the cheaper base layer top. bring on the winter, when i used to commute before i didnt spend any money on gear

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Am missing all this as I'm in spain, buuuut there's a decathlon literally across the road from the place where we return the rental car. Will be our last stop on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I picked up gloves snd a jacket

Then I picked up football boots for the kids. Was about to get them new hurls till I saw that they were too thick and heavy. And then realised that they were made in India. Probably wasn’t even ash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Went to two different Aldi shops. Neither of them had any of the jackets other than the high vis or the Merino base layers.

Poor showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yeah they had very little in the aldi in Limerick in such a small display, there was stuff hidden, luckily I was the only one in early buying the gear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Mc Love wrote: »
    Yeah they had very little in the aldi in Limerick in such a small display, there was stuff hidden, luckily I was the only one in early buying the gear

I was in just after nine. Still nothing. I suspect some of the shops might have been putting them out yesterday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭cletus

Went in for a few bits, went mad instead

Ended up with

Merino base layer (short sleeve)
    Merino jersey
    Hi vis jacket
    Winter gloves
    Padded cycling tights
    Merino neck warmer thing
    Lock
    Rechargeable lights

Thought about the under saddle bag with tools, but ultimately left it.
    Was close to getting the merino long johns too, but was a little unsure, as I had read you shouldn't wear other layers (ie underwear) with padded shorts/tights etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I got the lock, serious quality feel for a tenner!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

troyzer wrote: »
    I was in just after nine. Still nothing. I suspect some of the shops might have been putting them out yesterday afternoon.
    Never seen an Aldi do that with anything tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

No jackets with removable sleeves in 3 shops in Wexford. I asked one of the staff to keep an eye if they came in for me,

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

Advertisement