Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi-LIDL Specials - Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Just back from the Aldi on the long Miler.

Bits and scraps left. I got long sleeve base layer and cycling jersey. Was happy with that. They had loads of bike saddles and stands left still

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

There was lots of stuff left in the nutgrove aldi when i was there yesterday evening. I had been to Aldi terenure before that but left with nothing - it was almost all sold out, no lights or locks at all left.

I pickup up two of the U-locks, 2 sets of lights and a set of merino unpadded tights/long johns (to wear under cotton shorts on my commute.)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Got the light set again. Rear light seems smaller and the front light didn't work so returning it this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

nothing left in tenure every thing sold quick

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Plenty in Blessington yesterday afternoon. Tried on one of the convertible softshells, but the medium was way too big on me. Just ended up with waterproof socks, normal cycling socks, and got a couple of cans of degreaser to try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Picked up:
    Merino Base layer 1 short, 1 long sleeve - Went Large, fit is a bit loose, not sure if that is how it should be. Haven't decided if I'll hold onto them.
    Other Base Layer long sleeved - perfect.
    Tights -Seem good
    Over-shoes - Will see when the rain comes.
    Merino Neck warmer - I like Buffs, hopefully Merino will only make it better.
    Reflective kit - ~Not even sure why I ended up with this. I like the spoke thingys, but don't even know what to do with tape. might just return.

They were all out of the jerseys by time I got there, and wasn't convinced by the jackets.

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Reflective kit - ~Not even sure why I ended up with this. I like the spoke thingys, but don't even know what to do with tape. might just return.
    I nearly picked that set up. I thought the "tape" included one of those snap around ankle bands? Which is why I was going to go for them - if a cyclists is going to add reflective strips, the ankles are probably the most effective place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

a lot of stuff was bought for the sake of it one person had bought 5 bike stands he said for that price u can.t go wrong how much bike stands do u need ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Winter gloves held up well this morning although hands were a bit sweaty when taken off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,344 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The base layers worked well, a good test run this morning, wasn’t cold, wasn’t hot arriving at work.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭cletus

Fian wrote: »
    ...merino unpadded tights/long johns (to wear under cotton shorts on my commute.)

I'm very new to any form of cycling other than jump on the bike to go down to the shops. Am I right in saying I couldn't use the long johns in conjunction with the padded tights or a pair of padded shorts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Does anyone find the merino really itchy? I've never worn it before but doesn't feel at all right. Both base layer and arm warmers too itchy to wear.

How are aldi on returns, I presume I'm wasting my time?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 saganfan

cletus wrote: »
    I'm very new to any form of cycling other than jump on the bike to go down to the shops. Am I right in saying I couldn't use the long johns in conjunction with the padded tights or a pair of padded shorts

Wear them over, not a great idea wearing them under. The chamois/pad is meant to sit next to your skin to prevent chafing/soreness, putting a pair of tights under the short acts as a barrier and another layer to give you chafing. Might be ok for short jaunts though, but I'd put them over myself, or else just use them without shorts.

Got some neoprene gloves and overshoes for my commutes. Will see how they go! Also some degreaser.

a148pro wrote: »
    Does anyone find the merino really itchy? I've never worn it before but doesn't feel at all right. Both base layer and arm warmers too itchy to wear.

I have found Aldi excellent so long as it is very soon after. This is what I meant by their merino is not as nice as other brands. I can stand it easily but I imagine anyone with sensitive skin should not use it as a base layer, more a second layer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I bought the rain jacket, winter gloves, merino socks and cycling jersey,

Felt a bit odd checking out the cycling gear with a cast on my right leg but hopefully won't be too much longer before I'm back on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I wore the long sleeved merino base layer yesterday for a spin and I found it very comfortable. And I would normally have sensitive enough skin

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Should be fine for returns with a receipt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

Wore the merino short sleeve on a run last night. So warm. Nearly too warm even on a coldish night. Will be a great piece of kit for winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Yeah it's a bit scratchy alright but considering the price point I expected it to be that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

Question about the merino gear. Would you use shortsleeve as a base layer and longsleeve as a mid layer. im looking for kit to cross between cycling and hiking.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Advertisement

lochdara wrote: »
    Question about the merino gear. Would you use shortsleeve as a base layer and longsleeve as a mid layer. im looking for kit to cross between cycling and hiking.

I'd use the long sleeve as a base layer when hiking more so than the short sleeve. I'd rarely use a long sleeve when cycling as I use arm warmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

jacob2 wrote: »
    a lot of stuff was bought for the sake of it one person had bought 5 bike stands he said for that price u can.t go wrong how much bike stands do u need ?

What an assh#le, same nonsense when they sell toddler books, every creche owner within a 50 mile radius decent and just flings everything in site to the trolley

I think that type of thing is happening a bit less now. Used to happen with the floor mats from the camping gear with the creches/ childminders too, but this year they actually went on to the reduced. But in general, I don't think there's the panic over the specials - more stores, and people have already got the gear. A few years ago, the hi viz rain jackets would've had people queing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There was still trouble this year with Aldi camping mats. I went to about 5 stores on the day to try find one for the scouts upcoming trip and not one to be found. Staff couldn't tell me most of the time if they even had them in.

However they do have a help line mentioned on their website in which you can ring, ask where a certain product is and they can tell you the store and how many that store has. It's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Went in to the Eastwall store yesterday to try and get lights and they had none.

I returned my broken USB lights yesterday. Took back without issue, but alas they were all sold out of the USB ones.

Loads of the USB lights in my local store not Dublin so I would imagine some of the stores will recirculate them to sell on.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

Aldi Leixlip sold out of yellow overshoes :(

anyone see any in Lucan, Celbridge or Maynooth ??

cheers

devonp wrote: »
    Aldi Leixlip sold out of yellow overshoes :(

anyone see any in Lucan, Celbridge or Maynooth ??

cheers

If it is Hi Vis, Lucan will definitely be sold out, have to get the club ready and kitted out for winter spins :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

jacob2 wrote: »

Depends how many bikes you have

Advertisement