Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi-LIDL Specials - Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

The long sleeve merino reminds me of a long sleeved T Shirt from Penneys that i use for work.
    Are they any good before i return it.
    I have a few Base Layers so not exactly in desperate need of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

The pink rain jacket is… ok. No pockets. Why do makers think women don't need pockets? And I got a pair of wets to replace my ragged old Regatta ones, but again, no slits to reach into your pockets, and they don't really close tight enough on the ankles.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

cletus wrote: »
    I'm very new to any form of cycling other than jump on the bike to go down to the shops. Am I right in saying I couldn't use the long johns in conjunction with the padded tights or a pair of padded shorts

Goes against the accepted wisdom, but I find the base layers fine under padded shorts for long jaunts once they're seamless. That said, I'd use chamois cream on any spin likely to be more than a couple of hours. Anything with seams or that is prone to bunch around the crotch area is not going to make you a happy camper later that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Can you order online on the UK site and use Parcel Motel?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dx1200

Cona wrote: »
    Thoughts on the turbo trainer?

Looking to get setup on Zwift very cheaplyf for winter... Wonder would this along with the speed sensor be any good?

Save your money. Bought one today. Its going back tomorrow.

Set it up and used it for 30 minutes. Ripped my tyre to shreds. Tried various resistance and pressure on the unit/ wheel. Tyre is now fairly square and a groove started on the trainer. Found similar review on their previous fluid trainer models.

You could maybe use a trainer tyre on it but I'd say save yourself the bother and pay 200€ for a better one that will last. You still might need a trainer specific tyre on any magnetic, fluid or air resistance trainer but this Aldi one is poo.

• Advertisement

I'm very new to any form of cycling other than jump on the bike to go down to the shops. Am I right in saying I couldn't use the long johns in conjunction with the padded tights or a pair of padded shorts

I wear a pair of Nike running leggings in the winter. Initially I wore them over my shorts, but they kept slipping, so i tried them under and i have done 100k spins with no problems. As smacl states, it all depends on where the seems are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Seamingly, it is important,

I'll get my coat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Life is all about the seems.

Got a set of lights in Edenderry Aldi today, loads left. Not as good as last years lights but still very good for commuting, better than most you would pay twice the amount for.

Was in our local earlier (Drgoheda), they had no lights as recently as last night but this morning they had a section full of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

about a dozen pairs of waterproof socks in aldi in clonee, as of about an hour ago. lots of the standard socks, and lights. a few other bits and bobs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i tried on one of the waterproof socks. it felt weird, wasn't very stretchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭cletus

Hi vis jackets, merino jerseys, base layers and neck warmers, zip off sleeve jackets, rechargeable lights, locks, saddle bags, saddles, a variety of socks, winter gloves all still available in the Aldi beside Tesco in Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Can you order online on the UK site and use Parcel Motel?
    I tried this for their Fly6 rip off lights, and I couldn't get it to accept payment from an Irish addressed card (even a sterling account, but Irish address didn't work. I gave up and got my auntie to order it for me rather than go one of the revolut style options.

I bought one of the road saddles for an old bike i must admit that i'm very impressed with it.
    Its not much different than the Selle flow range and the comfort from it is excellent.
    Very much worth 10 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Has anyone had any joy pairing the speed/cadence sensor with strava? Or even with their own app?
    Spent ages yesterday trying to pair with an old phone to no avail.
    I should say my current phone paired the two, but i couldnt see what was going on when cycling.
    Is this only a strava premium feature?

[does not know what he's talking about]does that pair with a GPS device, which in turn pairs with your phone?[/does not know what he's talking about]

wheelo01 wrote: »
    Has anyone had any joy pairing the speed/cadence sensor with strava? Or even with their own app?
    I should say my current phone paired the two, but i couldnt see what was going on when cycling.

Yes I paired it with the crane cycling app but not strava. I don’t think it works on strava.
    Both phones iPhone 4s and 5s.

I’ll be using it only on the turbo during the winter.

Thanks, i tried for ages, but if it definitely works, it is just me, and ill go again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭cletus

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216919007-Pairing-Sensors-with-the-Android-app?mobile_site=true

I posted this earlier on in the thread, it appears that it depends on your phone, or more specifically on the Bluetooth version, which has to be BLE (Bluetooth low energy). If you're unsure, there are a number is free APS that will tell you whether you're phone thy is or not

• Advertisement

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216919007-Pairing-Sensors-with-the-Android-app?mobile_site=true

I posted this earlier on in the thread, it appears that it depends on your phone, or more specifically on the Bluetooth version, which has to be BLE (Bluetooth low energy). If you're unsure, there are a number is free APS that will tell you whether you're phone thy is or not

Here is one i've just found for pairing with the iphone.
    I will try it out later.

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216917167-Pairing-Sensors-with-the-iPhone-app

Thanks, i tried for ages, but if it definitely works, it is just me, and ill go again
    Ill try help just in case you are doing it wrong.

One magnet on the spoke.
    One magnet on the crank arm,tied on with a cable tie.

Then both sensors on the bike with the small one being used for the cadence(crank) and the big sensor for the speed(spoke).

It says on the sensors which way they should be facing and i found that you have to have them close to the magnets.

Ill try help just in case you are doing it wrong.

One magnet on the spoke.
    One magnet on the crank arm,tied on with a cable tie.

Then both sensors on the bike with the small one being used for the cadence(crank) and the big sensor for the speed(spoke).

It says on the sensors which way they should be facing and i found that you have to have them close to the magnets.

I had it set up like this, but it is quite difficult to get the spoke magnet close to the speed sensor, i think the gap is around 10mm. I can of course lean the sensor towards the spokes, but the raised circular part seems to be the actual sensor, and as that is on the lower edge, it doesnt get within the 2/3 mm that it suggests.

However, i will keep going.

I had did that too, while strava paired and recognised it, no cadence showed on the screen as cycling

[QUOTE=wheelo01;

I had did that too, while strava paired and recognised it, no cadence showed on the screen as cycling[/QUOTE]

I gave mine a quick try earlier and it paired with strava on my iphone, only with cadence though.
    Ill try again later and see if i can the speed as well.

I gave mine a quick try earlier and it paired with strava on my iphone, only with cadence though.
    Ill try again later and see if i can the speed as well.

If your using Strave on your phone, and GPS is on, presumably you don't need the speed sensor. I am guessing it is like the old Cateye speed sensors and goes on wheel rotations, or does it have a GPS tracker in it as well?

CramCycle wrote: »
    If your using Strave on your phone, and GPS is on, presumably you don't need the speed sensor. I am guessing it is like the old Cateye speed sensors and goes on wheel rotations, or does it have a GPS tracker in it as well?

Yeah, i never turned the GPS on my phone off.
    It's just a speed and cadence sensor that i have so hopefully that was the issue.

Still loads in stock in Ashbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

Just got one of the last Road Saddles and used it to replace the original saddle, a Selle Royal which I found a bit hard. Used for the first time yesterday, and it made a noticeable difference in comfort.
    Very well made, I'd expect it to last a while. All for a tenner! ;)

So i've been banging away at trying to connect the speed sensor to Strava on my iphone for a few days now and after scouring the net, it seems the app only supports the cadence sensor even though in the settings the its says speed and cadence sensor.

I've connected it to other apps so its not an issue with the sensor or my phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Anyone else using the muckoff dry lube, it’s the city bike version I realised after buying. A tea spoon of olive oil in a pint of water would be the best comparison I could give it

Advertisement