Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi-LIDL Specials - Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

I used it in the Pyrenees this summer. TBH, thought it was pretty good - came out in tiny drops from the nozzle, so little wastage. Very smooth silent chain after application. Did need to be re-applied every few days, but then I was riding all day every day...

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

I use this oil all the time and find it good. 1 drop on each link. I'm a fair weather cyclist most of the time but its clean and easy to remove and reapply when washing the bike. I'll wait for it to be reduced in aldi and buy another bottle

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I like the wet stuff with the blue cap, totally silent and lasts forever, it practically restored the chain and gears on a knackered mountainbike my flatmate brought home a while back aswell, we were both a bit amazed by the transformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Did anyone actually try those gel saddles and are they any good? Specifically the narrow road one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

Thargor wrote: »
    Did anyone actually try those gel saddles and are they any good? Specifically the narrow road one...

good saddle got one and for a tenner u can.t go wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

for a tenner u can.t go wrong

Oh yes you can. If you're out of luck, your backside will provide further news soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Charge spoon was less than 20 euro new and one of the best saddles I ever had. Cheap doesn't necessarily mean bad/poor quality (although often it's correlated).

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

I did. Much better than the original that came with my Focus Cayo which I've had since July. Well made and well worth a tenner. Still some left in my local Aldi in Ballincollig.

Only get one if your present saddle is really giving you grief and you think it would be a noticeable improvement. If you're happy enough with your present saddle then it's probably a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭seaviewphotos

Bought USB lights recently in Aldi but I can't seem to charge the front light, the back light is working perfect so I'm hoping I don't need to return them. See photo below. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

45047401465_51ab26d4ce_n.jpgIMG_0341 by Dave O Brien, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭dahat

That light charges in a USB port or use a USB plug. The bit sticking out at the rear is the charging port.

Thanks, I've tried various ports and plugs but nothing seems to work :(, do you know if a light comes on when charging? Currently when I turn on the light it flashes green.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Thanks, I've tried various ports and plugs but nothing seems to work :(, do you know if a light comes on when charging? Currently when I turn on the light it flashes green.

As said earlier they plug into USB ports in your laptop/pc or whatever. they're slightly fiddly but they work. When charging it should pulse green.

Looks like it's dead, I'll try another few plugs but it doesn't look good. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

A longshot that you won't have tried this...but it will fit into the USB port with the button facing up or down (or left/right depending on port) I don't know which one is correct but only way will charge it...

Thanks Dan, that worked a treat. Runs away looking very silly.😮

I bought the rain jacket and wore it for the first time last week on a cold but dry day. I was out for about 45 mins and it kept the wind out and was comfortable but when I got home I discovered the inside was all condensation, including the sleeves. I wasn't sweating, but I was warm. Obviously it's not breathable so not suitable for summer use. I've yet to try it on a wet day....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Tried the waterproof socks this morning on a club spin with plenty of wintry showers and temperatures of 3 to 8 degrees. As expected, the outsides got quite wet despite wearing overshoes and having decent mudguards. The good news is that the insides and my feet stayed dry but the bad news is that my feet were freezing. I'm not sure if my favourite GripGrab socks would have been any better once wet but the Aldi socks certainly aren't the perfect solution. I might combine them with the heavy neoprene overshoes next time and see if that improves the performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

On the socks I have (and will be this evening) worn regular socks underneath. Then they're obviously better. I have found them to be dry if you tuck them into tights. In really heavy weather they fill with water if worn outside the tights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Ferris wrote: »
    On the socks I have (and will be this evening) worn regular socks underneath. Then they're obviously better. I have found them to be dry if you tuck them into tights. In really heavy weather they fill with water if worn outside the tights.

Ignore this sub standard advice. Wore the Aldi waterproof socks as described above this morning and they promptly filled with water, completely useless :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Ignore this sub standard advice. Wore the Aldo waterproof socks as described above this morning and they promptly filled with water, completely useless :(

aldi sell top quality plastic bags for less than a euro,
    thats the only thing that would keep your feet dry on day like this

heZnd-300x228.jpg

site_owner wrote: »
    aldi sell top quality plastic bags for less than a euro,
    thats the only thing that would keep your feet dry on day like this

heZnd-300x228.jpg

I recall a colleague regularly asking after he'd done something similar years ago to tape up around the holes he'd made in the bags for his cleats :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Used the Aldi socks and my feet were completely dry and I even used them when I was washing the car, and they got soaked and still kept my feet dry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Not Aldi but similar, Lidl are doing LED jogging wrist lights. I'm going to pick up a pair for indicating on the bike, plus make me easier to spot in the dark & rain from the side

https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?id=632&week=2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Not Aldi but similar, Lidl are doing LED jogging wrist lights. I'm going to pick up a pair for indicating on the bike, plus make me easier to spot in the dark & rain from the side

https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?id=632&week=2

Strangely, I posted something about wrist lights for the first time in ages yesterday:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108688533&postcount=7

As you say, they are good for indicating and side visibility. And pretending to wipe your brow so that the person driving towards you suddenly sees through the motion camouflage and slows down.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

Last delivery of Aldi bike gear half price in wexford now. Oil 2.99, saddles 5.99, lights 12.99 convertible jacket 14.99. I'd say its for all stores

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Ignore this sub standard advice. Wore the Aldi waterproof socks as described above this morning and they promptly filled with water, completely useless :(

Mine definitely got wet this weekend after three to four hours repetitive drizzle

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, the rear light (the more expensive one from aldi) i bought about a year ago seems to have given up the ghost - it ran out of charge sooner than i expected recently, and i charged it three days ago and haven't used it since. except to turn it on this morning and it was giving a low battery warning. pity, it was a decent light.

thing is, it had not seen an unusually high amount of use. i typically used it for two commutes a week, maybe three hours a week use, during the winter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Mine gave up this week too. Charging light comes on but it won't turn on. A pity. The ones I got the year before still work perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

They're pretty decent with warranty if you can find a receipt or proof of purchase . Just fill out the web form

[url]Https://www.aldi.ie/customer-services/warranties[/url]

Advertisement