Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi-LIDL Specials - Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Hurrache wrote: »
    Anyone got or used one of their floor bike stands?

Bought one today. Great job for working on handle bars or saddle/seatpost etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭secman

Grabbed one of the bike stands, the nuts will not screw on to the bolts, should be able to put them on by hand and tighten them with alken key and spanner. If i force them I'll only knacker the thread. Bringing it back tomorrow. Got 2 of the base layer vests, have used them before, do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

got one of the floor stand last year the fold up ones brillant its a different one this year also one of the assembly. stands in lidl as it seems better made than the aldi one home store was doing them a couple of weeks ago for 10 euro same as the aldi one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Hurrache wrote: »
    Anyone got or used one of their floor bike stands?
    It's ok. You have to be a little careful with how you put the bike on it because if the bike leans too much the wrong way it will topple over with it so it's not "rock solid". For 8 quid it's fine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Tempted to get the slime filled tubes for commuting. Anyone any experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

cletus wrote: »
    Picked up one of the floor stands, won't work with disc brakes :mad:

Will return it tomorrow. Picked up a cheap pair of gloves and some muc off dry

+1 on the won't work with disc brakes. However i have a tru-axle skewer on my good bike and in fact it will hold that for me, I am sliding the skewer between the prongs of the fork.

It won't work as intended though and I would suggest best to avoid if you are thinking of it for a bike with disc brakes.

They were sold out of electrolytes when I arrived after work. I did pick up a few co2 cartridges & the floor stand.

secman wrote: »
    Grabbed one of the bike stands, the nuts will not screw on to the bolts, should be able to put them on by hand and tighten them with alken key and spanner. If i force them I'll only knacker the thread. Bringing it back tomorrow. Got 2 of the base layer vests, have used them before, do the job.

They're nylock nuts, you need a 10mm spanner to hold them while you screw the bolt on using an allen key. They are more secure than regular nuts which can loosen themselves over time, Nylock nuts wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,010 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

CramCycle wrote: »
    Tempted to get the slime filled tubes for commuting. Anyone any experience?

For spraying the slime at bad drivers or?

For spraying the slime at bad drivers or?

While I see the joy to be had, I was thinking of the "puncture proof" tubes Aldi are selling at the minute.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Got 2 of the base layer vests, have used them before, do the job.
    anyone any sizing guidelines for these? given that i've had very mixed results on sizing in aldi.
    i'm somewhere between 5'7" and 5'8" and 72KG (how's that for mixing imperial and metric?) and would usually be a medium - but maybe not in aldi sizing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

anyone any sizing guidelines for these? given that i've had very mixed results on sizing in aldi.
    i'm somewhere between 5'7" and 5'8" and 72KG (how's that for mixing imperial and metric?) and would usually be a medium - but maybe not in aldi sizing.
    I'm about the same proportions and Medium fits fine.

Im samish height but a 82kg, id say medium will be fine on your slight frame ;)

Plumbers regularly buy meters of 1/2 inch copper, you're not alone ;)

They're nylock nuts, you need a 10mm spanner to hold them while you screw the bolt on using an allen key. They are more secure than regular nuts which can loosen themselves over time, Nylock nuts wont.

Had to google nylock nut :) , does the nut go on with nylon bit pointing down on the bolt or facing up ?
    I'm mechanical challenged :) but i can change a punctured tube .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Epitaph wrote: »
    I'm about the same proportions and Medium fits fine.

Cheers, got the last one on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

Had to google nylock nut :) , does the nut go on with nylon bit pointing down on the bolt or facing up ?

The Nylon bit is the last bit to meet the thread on the bolt

Lefty loosey
    Righty tighty

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

Facing up so fat side against the washer, narrow/tapered side facing up.

Facing up so fat side against the washer, narrow/tapered side facing up.

Managed to assemble it, all 2 bolts and 2 washers and 2 nuts,
    ....... dragging it out dont you know :)

While I see the joy to be had, I was thinking of the "puncture proof" tubes Aldi are selling at the minute.
    Gotcha. They did a pretty poor job at advertising the puncture-proof feature. No real detail on the website, beyond the diagram on the box.

https://www.aldi.ie/28-inch-auto-valve-bicycle-tube/p/097682278628301

Got muck-off degreaser and cleaner, they must have undercharged me because both came in at under a 5er. Should've bought more!
    coincidentally, tonight i broke out the can of the muc-off degreaser i bought in the last aldi sale, for the first time.
    it's not degreaser.
    it's a solvent.

which is fine if they'd sold it as such; it dissolves (but does not neutralise) grease, and is quite volatile so evaporates quickly enough, leaving you back where you started.

Gotcha. They did a pretty poor job at advertising the puncture-proof feature. No real detail on the website, beyond the diagram on the box.

Those look to have schrader valves on them?

• Advertisement

Those look to have schrader valves on them?
    I think they have both options - dig around on their site to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭dom_1000

Did anyone get the electrolyte tabs? tried three shops to no avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

dom_1000 wrote: »
    Did anyone get the electrolyte tabs? tried three shops to no avail.

None in Finglas so went online. Wiggle have 5x20 tablet tubes of High5 Zero for just under €20. Works out cheaper than the Aldi ones and I'm used to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ya i'm confused :confused:

which tubes are for your regular road bike tyres - 700 x 18/23c ??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

bike computer is rubbish - I could only get the sensor to work if the magnet was literally hitting it as the wheel spun.

In better news, I now have 2 baskets on my hack bike so I can carry home even more impulse-buy shïte from Aldi!

fryup wrote: »
    ya i'm confused :confused:

which tubes are for your regular road bike tyres - 700 x 18/23c ??

Alas it looks like none of them, the closest would be the 28" presta, which are too big for many typical road tyres but will work if I have done my math right. They are the only ones which the two stores near me don't have.

Alas it looks like none of them, the closest would be the 28" presta, which are too big for many typical road tyres but will work if I have done my math right. They are the only ones which the two stores near me don't have.

I picked up a couple of the presta ones earlier which I had to dig deep for and could have been the last/only ones there. The numbers on the box left me scratching my head in the shop. 28/47 - 622/635 :confused:

622 is standard 700c wheels isn't it? after that though I'm lost

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭cletus

I picked up a couple of the presta ones earlier which I had to dig deep for and could have been the last/only ones there. The numbers on the box left me scratching my head in the shop. 28/47 - 622/635 :confused:

622 is standard 700c wheels isn't it? after that though I'm lost

ISO 559 = 26" modern mountain bike version
    ISO 622 = 700C - sometimes also called 28" by German tyre makers, confusingly.
    ISO 630 = 27"
    ISO 635 = 28" really big version - some dutch and some old English and Indian roadsters.

cletus wrote: »
    ISO 559 = 26" modern mountain bike version
    ISO 622 = 700C - sometimes also called 28" by German tyre makers, confusingly.
    ISO 630 = 27"
    ISO 635 = 28" really big version - some dutch and some old English and Indian roadsters.

In MTB terms isn't a 29er also 700c :confused:

• Advertisement

The 28/47 is like the 18/23 or similar you see on road tubes, refers to the bigger tyre, hence too big for most road bikes but you'd get away with it in a pinch if you were careful.

Advertisement