Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi-LIDL Specials - Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭cletus

In MTB terms isn't a 29er also 700c :confused:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Above link is a wealth of information about tyre sizing

Re. the 29er mountain bike wheel, there would seem to have been a number of changes/innovations is wheel size over the last decade or so, but I'm no expert. Anyway, obligatory link offering some explanation

https://www.redbull.com/ie-en/mtb-wheel-size-does-it-matter?&gclid=CjwKCAjw5dnmBRACEiwAmMYGOcw1o-01qel30M_llHBQLQeXEtqKQ4LCbs8W4Y83f5l0y9Z2fOWYVRoCzrYQAvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    ya i'm confused :confused:

which tubes are for your regular road bike tyres - 700 x 18/23c ??
    cletus wrote: »
    ISO 559 = 26" modern mountain bike version
    ISO 622 = 700C - sometimes also called 28" by German tyre makers, confusingly.
    ISO 630 = 27"
    ISO 635 = 28" really big version - some dutch and some old English and Indian roadsters.

so its the ISO 622 i should go for?? this one?

so its the ISO 622 i should go for?? this one?

Inner tubes usually cover a range of tyre sizes, eg conti race tubes cover a range from 622-630, I'd say you should be ok.

*edit* apologies, I clicked on the link, and I see the tube is 28-47, whereas your replacing an 18-23. The overall diameter is fine, but your tyre width falls outside the range of this tube. Looks like it's for commuter/hybrid etc.

head-desk.gif

can someone please tell me if any of the aldi tubes will suit my road bike tyre which is 700 x 18/23c

head-desk.gif

can someone please tell me if any of the aldi tubes will suit my road bike tyre which is 700 x 18/23c

I haven't looked at what range of tubes they have.

The 622-635 will fit the diameter of your wheel.

You need to find a tube that has a width range that your tyre falls into. You say your tyre is 18/23 (although afaik you should have only one width size on the tyre), do you're looking for a tube that covers that range. The tube you linked to was 28/47, so too big. The range you're looking for will be something like 18/28. You'll have to go into the shop, rummage around, and see can you find the measurement you want.

If I was a betting man, I'd say they got in tubes for hybrid/ commuter bikes, rather than road bikes.

Hope this finally clarifies it. Best of luck with the search

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Save yourself some money and buy the lifeline road tubes (18-25c) from chain reaction for €2.49 each

^^^^^^^^^^

and what tyre would you recommend (occasional use)

I use Michelin Lithion 2 on my training bike and Continental Grand Prix 4000S II on the good bike. The Lithion 2 is very good value, good grip, lasts a long time and I don't get more punctures than other people in my group.
    The GP 4000S II do roll better and are slightly more comfortable but more expensive.
    So it depends on how much you are happy to spend.
    23c is fine but 25c is more comfortable once your frame/brakes has enough clearance, 25c should be fine with most modern frames.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/michelin-lithion-2-road-bike-tyre/rp-prod48128

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/continental-grand-prix-4000s-ii-road-tyre/rp-prod120460

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Bought some of the cycle shorts in Aldi, it's my understanding that I dont wear any shorts over them? They're like a pair of skins and feel like I'm wearing nothing at all. Maybe they are more for racing cyclists?

Its+like+im+driving+nothing+at+all+_c1433482fe8fde3afafb9255c1c015eb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Mc Love wrote: »
    Bought some of the cycle shorts in Aldi, it's my understanding that I dont wear any shorts over them? They're like a pair of skins and feel like I'm wearing nothing at all. Maybe they are more for racing cyclists?

I think you shouldn't wear jocks under them. It creates a lot of friction apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Don't wear anything under them, over them is no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Thanks for the replies :noob:

They're like a pair of skins and feel like I'm wearing nothing at all.

Yup, should fit like another layer of skin and with nothing underneath you should be able to cycle for hours with no chafing, any sweat comes right to the surface and is dried by the wind so you also stay dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭secman

tuxy wrote: »

Yup, should fit like another layer of skin and with nothing underneath you should be able to cycle for hours with no chafing, any sweat comes right to the surface and is dried by the wind so you also stay dry.

Not the lidl or Aldi ones, padding isn't great in them, fine for short commutes, even a half decent pair of Madison for €50 to €60 are fine fir up to 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,018 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No shorts left in Nutgrove - if you see any large ones available anywhere in the vicinity, please shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭MyDarkArts

Wasn't much worth picking up this time around in Aldi I felt, no bib shorts that I had my eye out for anyway.

Could be that I stocked up previously and had all I needed. Stuck a few CO2 cartridges in my basket anyway, despite thinking that I hadn't needed one in over a year. Obviously I had blow out the next time I was out, directly as a result of these notions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Jerseys may be worth a punt from that store but I've learned not to risk any bibs that aren't "proven" on my rear end!.

dahat wrote: »
    Jerseys may be worth a punt from that store but I've learned not to risk any bibs that aren't "proven" on my rear end!.

Yeah I'll probably stick to the brands I know work for me too but I'd say the aliexpress ones are at least as good as something aldi would sell and may work for someone newer to the sport that doesn't go on very long spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I find the Ali shorts are grand for commuting (better than the last ones I got in Aldi), and one or two are pretty good to be honest. Look for the "3D" pad. Sizing is normally ok, if you go by the size chart for that item.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Bought and used the saddle bag for the first time on way to a TT. Had everything off bike including cages so was handy for carrying bottle.

Fits surprisingly well for such a big bag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Bought and used the saddle bag for the first time on way to a TT. Had everything off bike including cages so was handy for carrying bottle.

Fits surprisingly well for such a big bag

Would you fit a decent sized smartphone in it? Hate carrying it in my jersey pocket!

marvin80 wrote: »
    Would you fit a decent sized smartphone in it? Hate carrying it in my jersey pocket!

Certainly. It's a large bag. Much bigger than the usual saddle bag. I would view it as a smaller bikepacking bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is it just velcro holding it on? Id be constantly checking it was still there with the weight of a bidon in it, is it secure?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

rear basket is the best bike-related thing I've bought in ages:

IWqhHgjlZgWE5HTGGcjQAr6XGkaPVr-eL48Cdhxs4Z1zf_rwL0KAourfioO-2X5DGtITC5eVTQxnkGE54U4oW2tAPAZF2A5Tmhk4mwtNHIQa2CpMAGbiMyarCA3E2CA-JylnojNZ0GvX1tyR10FI8Obe_-fNkKz2lWM3pg2MOZKIJHCFIqQ7axPdSYrreKYiysIQoC5iRkQ6PRnTiEbx_M1rmMsNPMuTR7ZQ0ZBo-eK0o2boy9lkolpLfddLxK-7LSXG2mXeU4aDB73fFAIz6q8sFv-fwUe2YYQsyNpmRC3LwJ3P42G0zn4jjA_sK3d2ihLWmEXw0lBScRv70lDvJed6GTml3D8Ch5y5CWawLzCkEAo1obGF7OzSEGiXUpT6Db_fmFp1izs95hTkPR2efyPPDyJU3QY1x9fardcPMIYoVk4xLXQLhy2OJGtjDcEcWWqknYp8lT7diJhk65UOp6vYu4Hphp4oQFP8Bi8aApVqPxNNm_9YGFTjO0zoKhAQeLo6TKwMTVDG91hz_P73ylODYSxQLWPHTaMsCn5a7k6rX5M-VqQ1Cis008bPbezEwFKfwE34QOPc5H_bPAp4lHaVtsNPcc9HUw40DF57G30zGkfDz9J-iQJUWyNFKXvVodWvQYN_V823nrjOMU53-XflO9qEJArb=w1052-h789-no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Certainly. It's a large bag. Much bigger than the usual saddle bag. I would view it as a smaller bikepacking bag.

Picked one up today - can't go wrong for €6. It's a decent fit under the saddle - not too bulky looking.
    Thargor wrote: »
    Is it just velcro holding it on? Id be constantly checking it was still there with the weight of a bidon in it, is it secure?

Personally I don't think I'd weigh it down with a bidon.

Thargor wrote: »

Yes. Have never had issues with velcro over the years on a variety of different saddle bags. And there are 4 straps.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

tuxy wrote: »

I have those shorts, my favourite shorts from AE so far. I'm 181cm and 83kg and size XL fits nicely. Take two sizes up and you should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

loyatemu wrote: »

IWqhHgjlZgWE5HTGGcjQAr6XGkaPVr-eL48Cdhxs4Z1zf_rwL0KAourfioO-2X5DGtITC5eVTQxnkGE54U4oW2tAPAZF2A5Tmhk4mwtNHIQa2CpMAGbiMyarCA3E2CA-JylnojNZ0GvX1tyR10FI8Obe_-fNkKz2lWM3pg2MOZKIJHCFIqQ7axPdSYrreKYiysIQoC5iRkQ6PRnTiEbx_M1rmMsNPMuTR7ZQ0ZBo-eK0o2boy9lkolpLfddLxK-7LSXG2mXeU4aDB73fFAIz6q8sFv-fwUe2YYQsyNpmRC3LwJ3P42G0zn4jjA_sK3d2ihLWmEXw0lBScRv70lDvJed6GTml3D8Ch5y5CWawLzCkEAo1obGF7OzSEGiXUpT6Db_fmFp1izs95hTkPR2efyPPDyJU3QY1x9fardcPMIYoVk4xLXQLhy2OJGtjDcEcWWqknYp8lT7diJhk65UOp6vYu4Hphp4oQFP8Bi8aApVqPxNNm_9YGFTjO0zoKhAQeLo6TKwMTVDG91hz_P73ylODYSxQLWPHTaMsCn5a7k6rX5M-VqQ1Cis008bPbezEwFKfwE34QOPc5H_bPAp4lHaVtsNPcc9HUw40DF57G30zGkfDz9J-iQJUWyNFKXvVodWvQYN_V823nrjOMU53-XflO9qEJArb=w1052-h789-no

I got the front one. It's great also!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

loyatemu wrote: »

How does it fit onto the bike?

Advertisement