Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi-LIDL Specials - Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You’d be nuts not to.
    i'm afraid language like this is prejudiced and exclusionary, so i'll have to ask you to refrain from using it in future.
    the correct term to use is 'triathletes'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

i'm afraid language like this is prejudiced and exclusionary, so i'll have to ask you to refrain from using it in future.
    the correct term to use is 'triathletes'.

For a split second I thought you were being serious. Well played sir. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Anyone get the folding bike, is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Picked up the €25 bike stand in Lidl clonee today. Another 5 of them left at 7pm.
    Probably the best piece of cycling kit I've picked up in LIDL. Mine is five years old, used regularly and has never given a moment's bother. Solid and sturdy.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

Hi, does anyone have any views on the Lidl cycling backpack? Is it any good? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

emclau wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone have any views on the Lidl cycling backpack? Is it any good? Thanks!

IMO cycling and backpacks don’t go together. No personal experience of the LIDL one, but they’re just not very pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

Qrt wrote: »
    IMO cycling and backpacks don’t go together. No personal experience of the LIDL one, but they’re just not very pleasant.

True, but necessity for work commuter cyclists...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

emclau wrote: »
    True, but necessity for work commuter cyclists...

True sort of, there’s panniers galore out there too of all shapes and sizes to be fair.

As for the back pack I bought one out of curiosity. Being honest haven’t had the need to use it yet but quality seems decent, loads of pockets and has the bump yolks (yes technical name) on the back to give some sort of cushion and breath ability to the bag.

Bottom line is they’re dirt cheap so you may as well pick one up. As a bag it’ll do the same as most rucksacks but is probably slightly more cycling specific bas on the pockets and cushiony parts.

If I was commuting regularly I’d 100% go with panniers though. No bag is going to be comfortable for any longer than a quick run to the shop or that imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i used to wear a backpack commuting, and it was fine because i had showers at the far end and all i was really bringing in was a change of clothes.
    switched to needing to carry a laptop in and out and got a pannier for that; but it meant i was also arriving in without a stupidly sweaty back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I've had panniers and backpacks. Panniers drastically altered the handling for me. They were fine but I just found them a bit of a faff. Spent too much on a Chrome bag and it has lasted me well for over 10years and still looks relatively new. Waterproof, moulds to the body etc. You get a sweaty back on some days but they tend to be the days you'd probably sweat anyway. Just my opinion to play the devils advocate. I wouldn't use one for a 3 hour jaunt but for the 45minutes into work it works well and carry huge amounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

The Lidl/aldi bags are fine. I have one years and it does the job.
    I had rear racks on some of my bikes over the years also. I hate them. They get caught in the wind with luggage on them and look poxy. You look like a grandad going to collect his shopping.
    I bought a giant defy advanced 2 new few months ago and went back to back packs. Yes your back will sweat a little but its better than having a rear rack on your bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

byrnem31 wrote: »
    I had rear racks on some of my bikes over the years also. I hate them. They get caught in the wind with luggage on them and look poxy. You look like a grandad going to collect his shopping.

I have a rack, and go with one pannier and one homemade side basket. I suppose I do look like a father going to collect his shopping; a reasonable description of me a lot of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Surprised to see some people saying panniers affect handling.

I have an 80s Dawes Galaxy touring bike and I have to say I can barely tell when I have the panniers on unless they are really stuffed and heavy

Surprised to see some people saying panniers affect handling.

I have an 80s Dawes Galaxy touring bike and I have to say I can barely tell when I have the panniers on unless they are really stuffed and heavy

I suppose it depends on the bike, mine was a fixed gear frame with eyelets for a pannier and it definitely made a difference in cornering (not huge but noticeable), and anything out of the saddle. Now I carried alot of weight, and people often laugh at my back pack as I'll easily carry a fair amount of weight but I could feel it with hard efforts, out of the saddle or sharp cornering in a way that a back pack wouldn't. A touring bike is presumably designed with this in mind, most road bikes possibly are not.

Also, just to say, lovely bike. Dawes really made great touring / audax bikes back in the day.

Yeah, the bike I use panniers with is a touring bike (entry-level Dawes though) and also a cargo bike. Adding a pannier really can't make much difference to the handling of the latter!

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Yeah, the bike I use panniers with is a touring bike (entry-level Dawes though) and also a cargo bike. Adding a pannier really can't make much difference to the handling of the latter!

Also having briefly seen you once on the Drummartin link road, your a far cooler cat than me. I imagine you get away with more than I do in the cool dad stakes.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Also having briefly seen you once on the Drummartin link road, your a far cooler cat than me. I imagine you get away with more than I do in the cool dad stakes.

I can only assume you've mistaken someone else for me!!

But I want to believe, so I will!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I got stuck using a backpack, well a school bag type thing once and was dreading it. Then it was actually grand. Made me question our obsession with saddle bags panniers etc when we have something that actually does the job grand in our house already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

I have a giant escape with an unknown rear rack. I have an Altura trunk bag (not my best of purchase, Velcro...), and I’ve recently installed a Busch und Müller headlight and rear light on the rack with a dynamo. Basically full continental. I try avoid backpacks like the plague but sometimes I just have to, usually sweat like a dog. Not fun.

But anyway, the backpacks looked fine. Nothing majorly flashy like.

• Advertisement

i found my bike wallowy when i tried using cheapo aldi panner bags, which were not worth the price of admission, but it was much better when i got a more expensive bag in the LBS. was much easier to cinch the contents of the bag in place so they didn't slop about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

I use both backpack and panniers - depending on which bike I take - though I'll occasionally just use the backpack anyway on the bike with the rack as well (a Genesis Croix de Fer). I've no issue with using the backpack I have. It has a semi-rigid mes structure which ensures there's a decent air gap between the pack and your back and the resulting airflow means no sweatiness. The only pain point is that if full, it's quite tall and can bump against my helmet. The previous backpack though was a different matter though as it was flush against my back

• Registered Users Posts: 24,743 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Aldi deals on 27/09
    some good value stuff
    https://leaflets.aldi.ie/view/628538/24/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

OT, but finally the Boxty is going to be regular. If they'd just do cully's batch...

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

zell12 wrote: »
    Aldi deals on 27/09
    some good value stuff
    https://leaflets.aldi.ie/view/628538/24/

Anyone have any opinions on whether or not the toolbox would be any good?

Anyone have any experience with the front light. Considering picking it up as a spare.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    OT, but finally the Boxty is going to be regular. If they'd just do cully's batch...

Best bread in Ireland is Cullys

CramCycle wrote: »
    Best bread in Ireland is Cullys

You've never had Mccloskeys brown batch so.

are the tools in that toolbox powerfix? if so, i probably wouldn't bother; i've used some of their stuff (e.g. screwdriver bits) which stripped under minor enough load.

wet lube and dry lube i do use, and if you want degreaser, they were stocking general degreaser recently (called elbow grease) which is the best degreaser i've used, €2.90 for a litre.

i like the neoprene gloves, but not for long rides, your hands will get very sweaty in them.

coL wrote: »

Anyone have any experience with the front light. Considering picking it up as a spare.

If you mean the rechargeable front and rear light, I picked up a set a couple of years ago.

The front is good and has a good range of functions and the brightest setting is easily bright for cycling on dimly lit roads, around town the medium setting is good enough. The only issue I have is with battery life it seems to run down when not in use.

The rear is superb though and my biggest concern with using it on the brightest flashing setting is that aircraft may mistake it for landing lights!

The hitng with Aldi stuff though, is that my experience may be different to others as I am never convinced about the consistency of their products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Shotser

I got one years ago, have replaced some of the more frequently used tools over the years with better more robust tools, but it's a decent set and covers all of the tools you need for service/breakdown. Has some stuff that I may never use and others that you might have already, eg spanner and screwdriver. It's a good starting point.

Advertisement