Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi-LIDL Specials - Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Cheers yeah its hard to know. Id hope most people who wanted turbo trainers already have one but with Aldi/Lidl you never know, plus sometimes they only get a 3 or 4 of the bigger items. Heading out on Saturday night so I'll be in no mood for 9am down Aldi on Sunday morning, will give it a try in the early afternoon and hopefully that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just on the turbo trainer, it is branded Bikemate and theres a video review of it here from some American former Olympic cyclist last year who rates it for the price, which was only $28 in Aldi in the US.

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a26988598/aldi-trainer-review/

Its just under 50 euro here but from that review it sounds good for the price. In the video it is not as noisy as I thought it would be despite being magnetic rather than fluid filled. Reckon I might give it a punt, anyone know do they tend to get snapped up fast or was that just a few years ago when they were new?

Thanks for that. I’m going to see can I pick one up for the winter months. Seems like a decent bit of kit when paired with a speed sensor.

You can get a Garmin speed sensor for less than €50 on Amazon so all in all under €100 to get a set up for Zwift sounds good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭redlead

Do people that use turbo's here use a fan too ? I don't have a garage so need to use it in my house but always got so hot inside I just didn't enjoy it. I haven't used it in years as a result but wouldn't mind giving it another go this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Two fans

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

redlead wrote: »
    Do people that use turbo's here use a fan too ? I don't have a garage so need to use it in my house but always got so hot inside I just didn't enjoy it. I haven't used it in years as a result but wouldn't mind giving it another go this winter.

I’ll be setting up in my kitchen which can be very cool if the door is left open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I'm going to buy the Turbo Trainer & try to upgrade it so I can use it with Zwift/Peleton app. I'm going to phone my 2 closest stores & ask if they know how many units they'll be getting in.
    These steps are from an American site but should be quiet simple to source the required items here. If anyone has done so, please let me know how much it cost & how you find it.

I'd also probably buy a new back wheel, I've heard they get worn quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

dinneenp wrote: »
    I'd also probably buy a new back wheel, I've heard they get worn quick enough.

A Turbo Tyre is probably sufficient.

TacxTrainerTyre-620x413.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

CramCycle wrote: »
    Aldi, gave one to a new co worker must be 3 years ago(after I had used it for awhile) and still in use, the other is now on my partners bike and even after being ignored for a year, charged up and worked perfectly the other day. I'd highly recommend them.

I got the Aldi ones too and they are great ..... except the stap on the front one broke, cannot seem to source a replacement strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Are either of the sets of gloves in the upcoming Aldi special waterproof do you think?

https://leaflets.aldi.ie/view/628538/27/

Inquitus wrote: »
    A Turbo Tyre is probably sufficient.

TacxTrainerTyre-620x413.jpg

Cheers, never heard of these before. I presume that the tyre replaces your road tyre so I'd still need another back wheel- correct?

If you're using your main bike for this I presume it's extremely quick to set up. I
    How would a road bike with turbo trainer compare to an indoor exercise bike, like this JLL IC200 PRO Indoor Cycling Exercise Bike

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Cheers, never heard of these before. I presume that the tyre replaces your road tyre so I'd still need another back wheel- correct?

Well you can either change the tyre when using Turbo or going out on the road, or get a cheap rear wheel. Whatever is less hassle for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

If you dont want to have to swap tyre every time you ride then yeah. New Wheel+tyre + cassette or used even.

Bikes would be more modular than gym bikes and also fit like a real bike so gets you used to sitting in your on bike positon. Personally id rather spend the 200 on a new tyre cassette wheel etc than on a fitness bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

redlead wrote: »

Plonked mine outside during lockdown. It's a dumb one similar to the Aldi, so easy enough to lug in and out. We were blessed with good weather for that period though

Thargor wrote: »
    Are either of the sets of gloves in the upcoming Aldi special waterproof do you think?

https://leaflets.aldi.ie/view/628538/27/

Hi,

It mentions 'Wind resistant', if there were water resistant I'm presuming it'd mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

You can spray it with some dwr treatment to make it somewhat waterproof

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

But it's neoprene, is that not waterproof?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Neoprene is definitely not waterproof. But it will hold water which will warmup and keep you warm that way. Same as a wetsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Amazon will have waterproof cycling gloves for similar prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

I find with some waterproof gloves they keep the sweat in so my hands are soaking anyway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

i assume turbo trainers work with a hybrid ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭SCOL

Is the tool kit any good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

SCOL wrote: »

If you have none of the tools, it's probably not a bad starting point

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

secman wrote: »
    I find with some waterproof gloves they keep the sweat in so my hands are soaking anyway :(
    this. if you wear them (the neoprene gloves) for more than half an hour or an hour, and are exerting yourself reasonably, you will find your hands getting sweaty.

that said, i do like them, they are nice and snug and give a good sense of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

i assume turbo trainers work with a hybrid ??

Yes, rear axle spacing on some hybrids is 135mm, same as mountain bikes with quick release axles (modern road bikes/racers are 130mm) but any decent turbo trainer will have an adjustable clamp that can accommodate both sizes.

hope that helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

SCOL wrote: »

Absolutely fine if you're just doing a bit of home maintenance.

I did like this comment about the 2015 toolkit
    Considering the whole thing cost the same as my Park Tools bottom bracket spanner, its great. Its handy for those things you rarely need – like a Park Tools bottom bracket spanner.

Its rude not too at that price really

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

decathlon do a slightly better specced one with what may or may not be better quality tools too; though it's double the price i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Bluejohn1

Anyone dealt with the trainer with a thru axle adapter?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I'm going to buy the Turbo Trainer & try to upgrade it so I can use it with Zwift/Peleton app. I'm going to phone my 2 closest stores & ask if they know how many units they'll be getting in. .

Did you get an answer from them on how much stock of the turbo trainer they are going to have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Turbo trainers sold out in Finglas and Royal Canal Park (Rathbourne). Said they had about 20 in but sold out by 9.30.

Update - Just got the last one in Parnell Street :)

Advertisement