Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi-LIDL Specials - Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

There is a turbo trainer left buried under the pannier bags in tallaght crosss about 30 mins ago.

I went mad and spent over €100. Very impressed with the gear this year.

I took a large cycling aldi jacket before but this year it's a medium I need. Very good jacket for 20 quid. Got lights, rain trousers, winter cycling jersey which is also very decent, and cleaning brushes that appear dead handy.

I got the bag that turns into a pannier rack and it's the best buy of the lot. Normal bag that zips in the middle and splits into two with 2 clips each side that clip onto your rack. I loaded it up with my gear, clipped it onto my rack and cycled home. €15 you can't go wrong and it didn't budge on the bike. There are extra straps to hold it on but it held well.

I cycled my steel bike down as I couldn't leave a new defy down there. Loads of scrotes around down there so be careful if cycling. My legs are in a jock from cycling a 30 year old steel bike though.

Got some water proof pants and lights for herself. 2 of the sections were completely empty so I assume that was were they had the turbos.(Drogheda retail park)

And the neoprene gloves are very good also. 11 quid. Nice tight fit and warm. I got a green pair to go with my Viz jacket to be seen. Yet I still probably get ploughed down by Jacinta putting on her makeup to look rapid in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Did you get an answer from them on how much stock of the turbo trainer they are going to have?

Phoned Aldi & was told they don't know figures for each store.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭.red.

Anybody find the sizes a bit on the large size? I've a bib and brace and a few short sleeved jerseys, all xl.
    Picked up an xl bib tights and an xl jersey and theyre both fairly loose.
    I also got the yellow jacket which I'm kind of regretting as while it seems decent, it's too large to fold up and go into a jersey pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

dinneenp wrote: »
    Phoned Aldi & was told they don't know figures for each store.....

cheers, my local was sold out about an hour ago so have a friend checking stock in another town, hopefully might get one there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

No turbos to be seen in Tramore, nor does it look like they had any as there wasn't an empty reach. Only got in after lunch as was out on the bike in the AM, but all the merino base layers were already gone. Picked up a set of three lights as backup, some socks, and bike cleaner as I made the mistake of looking closely at how manky the bike was yesterday!

What they did have however was one folding bike. Picked it up to see how heavy it was, and it's about as heavy as you'd expect a 300 quid odd folding bike to be and then some. Still, it's the kind of thing that you'd imagine would be useful on a camping trip somewhere flat to spin down to the shops for breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Bluejohn1

I picked one up and got it working with my cube nuroad race 2019 with a thru axle.

I watched some Auzzie guys video on YouTube and he said to use a one M6 100mm bolt and one M6 75mm bolt and two M10 nuts. Along with some tap washers 5mm tubing.

Picked up the parts for like 7 euro. After picking them up in bnq I only realised the side of the thru axle for the Alan key wont take the M6 bolt and probs needs a M4/5. I lucky had a one in the shed. With the tap washers on it was just a little two long and I couldn't close down the clamp on the trainer. But with just the bolts, nuts and tubing everything is grand, feels pretty secure.

The resistant settings aren't great but sure I'm only using it for a replacement for my commute which I haven't done since march now. Won't be going full ham on the thing. Pretty loud also.

.red. wrote: »
    Anybody find the sizes a bit on the large size? I've a bib and brace and a few short sleeved jerseys, all xl.
    Picked up an xl bib tights and an xl jersey and theyre both fairly loose.
    I also got the yellow jacket which I'm kind of regretting as while it seems decent, it's too large to fold up and go into a jersey pocket.

Yeah I opened some of the gear and put it against me and all of it was on the big side. The jacket that I bought was a size medium but it's really a large.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭.red.

The bib tights are comfy on, but really loose around the crotch and stomach.
    I went for a quick spin in them earlier and they were awful, the pad felt like sandpaper and I ended up taking a shortcut home.
    Maybe they will soften after a wash or maybe I just expected too much from something that cost less than €15.
    The long sleeved jersey felt slightly too big but I figure by time I put a base layer on they might be good. They were very warm tho, probably too early for them yet unless it's a morning spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

I stopped buying the bib shorts, tights, jerseys a long time ago . I only buy merino base and socks and lights as back up. When you do decent distances and hours in the saddle, decent gear is key. I gave a load of barely used and stuff still in packaging to a local group that just toddle around doing 20 to 30 km spins as they had got me back into cycling about 9 years ago.. thankfully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

8valve wrote: »
    Yes, rear axle spacing on some hybrids is 135mm, same as mountain bikes with quick release axles (modern road bikes/racers are 130mm) but any decent turbo trainer will have an adjustable clamp that can accommodate both sizes.

hope that helps?

I picked one up today and notice on the box it says “Fits 26”-29” bikes “

I was sure my bike is less that 60cm . Do you measure from bottom of frame to top I assume ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they mean the wheel size, old standard was 26", but there's also 27.5" and 29" which have taken its place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭wav1

They had 5 or 6 turbos in drogheda retail PK outlet and thsts all..gone circa 9.04

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

Was in Sallynoggin Aldi around 5pm.. all Marino base layers turbos and lights gone...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was in aldi on santry avenue at about 7, they only had XXL merino base layers left.
    i can't say i was impressed that the product photo (assuming i was looking at the correct box) showed a model wearing one which wasn't skin tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

byrnem31 wrote: »
    And the neoprene gloves are very good also. 11 quid. Nice tight fit and warm.

Are the gloves one size?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

wav1 wrote: »
    They had 5 or 6 turbos in drogheda retail PK outlet and thsts all..gone circa 9.04

yeah I asked in my local and they said they got 6 and sold out pretty quick. A mate went to two Aldis in their town and they were sold out there too, that was at around 4pm but Id say they were long gone before that with just 6 per store. Lesson learnt, stay sober the night before and get up very early if you want a bargain turbo trainer with a 3 year warranty :o

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

crosstownk wrote: »
    Are the gloves one size?

No, there were small, medium and large that I saw, I coulda done with an XL.

Got me some lights though, they look extremely bright, battery life and do they lose charge while knocked off will decide for me if they are good, bad, or indifferent.

wav1 wrote: »

Ha I was in around then too, if you heard a two year old girl explaining the 'dinner rules' that was us :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

they mean the wheel size, old standard was 26", but there's also 27.5" and 29" which have taken its place.

Thanks for that :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭raheny red

A few bits left in Clonee. Plenty of ladies gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Am I the only saddo who got excited at buying a half dozen cans of GT85 and Muc-Off wet Lube? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Am I the only saddo who got excited at buying a half dozen cans of GT85 and Muc-Off wet Lube? :-)

Nope, I even have a box to keep them in. Needs to be replenished, mind. I'll be honest, though. I put on the wet lube back in February or so, and when it came time to switch to dry lube, I found it a complete baxtard to clean off. I'm contemplating just putting on dry lube before every spin

527661.jpg

as long as you're not huffing the GT85 out in the shed on your own...

I bought general purpose car mechanic grease in a motor factors Saturday.
    I put in all over my defy where needed, chain, cogs, thru Axel's etc. The bike is as smooth as butter this morning.

I was very excited buying the Aldi gear though. I was up at 6.30 Sunday morning and all waiting for the shop to open at 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Only really wanted to pick up the wet lube - none left in Greystones at around 1pm yesterday. Very little of the other gear - one m merino base layer, and few larger sizes. Plenty of the winter gloves, but didn't notice the neoprene ones. So a can of degreaser was the total of my cycling related purchases!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

byrnem31 wrote: »
    I bought general purpose car mechanic grease in a motor factors Saturday.
    I put in all over my defy where needed, chain, cogs, thru Axel's etc. The bike is as smooth as butter this morning.

I was very excited buying the Aldi gear though. I was up at 6.30 Sunday morning and all waiting for the shop to open at 9.
    I'd be in agreement with lithium grease for things like bearings, bottom bracket, threads etc, but I'd be wary of having it on the chain and cassette. It's thicker than chain lube, so it's going to hold onto contaminants, and possibly wear the chain faster

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

cletus wrote: »
    Nope, I even have a box to keep them in. Needs to be replenished, mind. I'll be honest, though. I put on the wet lube back in February or so, and when it came time to switch to dry lube, I found it a complete baxtard to clean off. I'm contemplating just putting on dry lube before every spin

I'd avoid wet lube if possible, dry lube more often is, in my opinion a safer bet. Wet lube just destroys a chain and everythign else alot quicker.

• Advertisement

yeah, the wet lube is very sticky and hard to clean. what i sometimes do is deep clean a chain, let it dry, and apply wet lube to each roller, and wipe off the excess; this is to allow a heavier lubricant as a 'base layer' in the chain. from then on, just use dry lube on a regular basis.

Advertisement