Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi-LIDL Specials - Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Bought the 2 in 1 pannier backpack. For 15 quid it looked like a handy buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Does anyone plan on converting the 'dumb' turbo trainer to a smart one & using it with Zwift/Peleton etc.?
    If you do, please let me know how you get on with it.

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

dinneenp wrote: »
    Does anyone plan on converting the 'dumb' turbo trainer to a smart one & using it with Zwift/Peleton etc.?
    If you do, please let me know how you get on with it.

Cheers,
    Pa.

I have converted a dumb one for zwift using this
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/CooSpo-Cadence-Bluetooth-Runtastic-Openrider/dp/B07MXGTCSP/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=bluetooth+speed+sensor&qid=1601301782&sr=8-7

Just run zwift on android phone
    works well although i think it gives me extra watts

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

For anyone who didn't get one of the turbos, Briando in his adverts has some Minoura B60s which are fairly sturdy dumb turbo trainers. I'd wager they're better than the Aldi ones by some distance even without a warranty

Weepsie wrote: »
    For anyone who didn't get one of the turbos, Briando in his adverts has some Minoura B60s which are fairly sturdy dumb turbo trainers. I'd wager they're better than the Aldi ones by some distance even without a warranty

Cheers, just checked and the only one I can find is on Donedeal for €180...link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

dinneenp wrote: »
    Cheers, just checked and the only one I can find is on Donedeal for €180...link

He meant here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058116543

iwillhtfu wrote: »

Thanks, he has the Tacx TT in the post to me.
    Pa.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I'm kicking myself for missing out on the cycling jackets from Aldi last week. I went looking yesterday and they were all gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Do you think Lidl are due another Specials soon? Anyone remember when the last one was?

I'm kicking myself for missing out on the cycling jackets from Aldi last week. I went looking yesterday and they were all gone.

If they were the hi-vis womens ones they had them in my local (Drogheda) last night. I was going to get one for my partner but on inspection they didn't seem great for keeping the cold out vs what she already has. Fine with layers for what we've had temperature wise in the mornings/evenings in the last week I'd say but not much colder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Dunno where you're situated, bit they've stock left in Aldi in Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 24,743 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Thargor wrote: »
    Do you think Lidl are due another Specials soon? Anyone remember when the last one was?
    Lidl had one on 06 August.
    Historically, the next Lidl cycling stuff is in March

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Which tends to be better ?
    The Aldi or Lidl cycling gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

byrnem31 wrote: »
    Which tends to be better ?
    The Aldi or Lidl cycling gear.

personally I don't think the clothing is great from either - the tops are alright for casual use, but the shorts/leggings and jackets are poor.

Other stuff, tools, lights etc are all fine, I don't think there's a huge difference between them.

If you want good value cycling gear, Decathlon is probably a better option if you live near their store.

loyatemu wrote: »
    personally I don't think the clothing is great from either - the tops are alright for casual use, but the shorts/leggings and jackets are poor.

Other stuff, tools, lights etc are all fine, I don't think there's a huge difference between them.

If you want good value cycling gear, Decathlon is probably a better option if you live near their store.

Or even order online. I've shorts and jersey from Decathlon, and a pair of full fingered gloves in the post. Quality is very good for the price, even at the '100' range

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

decathlon sizing is on the small size, i've found.

decathlon sizing is on the small size, i've found.

Its on the small size for all their clothes. I think it's a French thing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

cletus wrote: »
    Dunno where you're situated, bit they've stock left in Aldi in Naas

Thanks, I'll check another Aldi and hope I find one.

I've been out in the pissings of rain in the Aldi jacket, rain trousers, and neoprene gloves and I'm bone dry. Not bad for 50 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

yeah, the wet lube is very sticky and hard to clean. what i sometimes do is deep clean a chain, let it dry, and apply wet lube to each roller, and wipe off the excess; this is to allow a heavier lubricant as a 'base layer' in the chain. from then on, just use dry lube on a regular basis.

Ohhhhhh Matron!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭mvt

I've been out in the pissings of rain in the Aldi jacket, rain trousers, and neoprene gloves and I'm bone dry. Not bad for 50 quid.

I used the jacket & pants last Wednesday morning to work in fairly wet conditions, was just over an hour.

Couldn't say I was bone dry but certainly good value for just over twenty quid.

The lights were super value & it was funny to see so many of them in action over the last week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

General thoughts on the light set for sale in Aldi recently?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my first thought was if that you haven't bought it yet, you may struggle to find it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

lizzylad84 wrote: »

Bright

lizzylad84 wrote: »

I think they are decent enough. Good range of modes on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Was in the Tallaght branch this morning. Still some lights, gloves and other bits available.

I was cycling this morning again in the rain and the rain gear did not let any water in. Happy and dry I was.
    The neoprene gloves do let water in after about 20 mins but they keep your hands warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I was cycling this morning again in the rain and the rain gear did not let any water in. Happy and dry I was.
    The neoprene gloves do let water in after about 20 mins but they keep your hands warm.
    I gave the same set a go on the commute yesterday in absolutely pouring rain with one of these Sealskin hoods and arrived at work bone dry and toasty warm, delighted with it, thats Winter commuting sorted.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SEALSKINZ-Unisex-Waterproof-Weather-Gaitor/dp/B07R6P6KWB/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It wasn't cold enough for the gloves today, had to take them off they were so toasty.

• Advertisement

There are two turbo trainers left in Sallynoggin. Nothing else though other than GT85.

Advertisement