Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi-LIDL Specials - Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Went to the Leixlip branch and picked up some GT85, dry lube, muc-off cleaner and two pairs of cheapo glasses.
    Not sure I even need any of the above - it's almost like an addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

greendom wrote: »
    Few bits in Aldi Navan this morning including shorts muck off stuff, chain cleaning kit, inner tube sealant. No gloves though. I always end up buying gloves when they're available

Chain cleaning kit, as in the yoke your chain goes through? I thought all stores won't have it in. I'll have to try my local later today so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Aldi Terenure didn't have a lot of what I was interested in such as the wet oil, chain cleaning kit and only some of the muc off cleaning sprays. I did get a bag, shorts and gt85.

I would use the GT85 or dry lube before you use the wet oil, it is really thick and gunky and will ruin your bike after awhile.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my routine would often be a full chain clean, and use the wet oil as a 'base' oil, maybe once every two months; with maybe weekly topup with the dry lube. depending on how much use the bike is getting, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

CramCycle wrote: »
    I would use the GT85 or dry lube before you use the wet oil, it is really thick and gunky and will ruin your bike after awhile.

Been using that wet lube non stop for the last few years and I'm pretty lazy when it comes to cleaning chains, as in I rarely bother.

Can't say I've noticed much of a problem with it, it brought my chain back to life recently after it went completely brown after cycling in the rain following heavy gritting by the council around here. Used it to restore a Kryptonite that had rusted up aswell, I think its great tbh, I've brought junk bikes back to life with it before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Bought the chain cleaner for the 'good bike'. Tried it this evening and it works fine. The light chain oil will come in handy for lubing the Mavic freehub.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I use Gt85 as a normal lubricant. It works fine for me. Cleans and lubes. I've had those oils before and they go all over the back wheel after a while.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect you may have been using too much so.you should only put a tiny amount on and wipe off the excess.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I didn't really need anything but I left with €45 worth of stuff. I should really unfollow this thread.

I didn't even know that inner tube sealant was a thing but I have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Feck all in/ left by the time I was in Rathnew last night that I noticed. A handful of baselayers and few glasses (picked up a couple of pairs, although didn't have my favourites from other years!). It meant more money for the craft beers in Lidl though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

Not impressed with the shorts - feels cheap and the padding is probably good for rides 30 minutes or less. They are going back.

Not a patch on the grey shorts they had some 5/6 years ago. I misplaced mine and I miss it to this day.

Has anyone tried the Muc Off No puncture inner tube sealant?
    Gets an excellent review in above review.

I bought the '2 Chain & Gears degreaser' but didn't realise you're meant to use it in conjunction with their 'Protect and Shine' product...

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

dinneenp wrote: »

I bought the '2 Chain & Gears degreaser' but didn't realise you're meant to use it in conjunction with their 'Protect and Shine' product...

I'm not sure if theres any difference but that is a tire sealant review not tube sealant which is what Aldi were selling. Most mountain bikers use sealant now with no inner tubes as it provides some great benefits on larger volume tires. While people like GCN swear by it on road bikes also I'm not as convinced.

But this is a different product also or is it? I've never used tube sealant but considering the weight addition isn't too big and if it does seal up small punctures it will be a life saver. It really would depend how often you get punctures and how much you hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bronkobilly

Went to the Leixlip branch and picked up some GT85, dry lube, muc-off cleaner and two pairs of cheapo glasses.
    Not sure I even need any of the above - it's almost like an addiction.

gt85 is allways being sold in aldi even wen its not cycling craze week

mad turnip wrote: »
    I'm not sure if theres any difference but that is a tire sealant review not tube sealant which is what Aldi were selling. Most mountain bikers use sealant now with no inner tubes as it provides some great benefits on larger volume tires. While people like GCN swear by it on road bikes also I'm not as convinced.

But this is a different product also or is it? I've never used tube sealant but considering the weight addition isn't too big and if it does seal up small punctures it will be a life saver. It really would depend how often you get punctures and how much you hate them.

Got 2 punctures on both my rides in the past week so I'm going to try it.

mad turnip wrote: »

You're right. This is the one Aldi have.

It gets a good-ish review-
    Impressive sealing capabilities and long lasting, but a bit more Presta-specific compatibility would be nice
    Seals small holes quickly
    Remains liquid for a long time
    Installation tube and valve core key are Schrader specific

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Jizique

Aldi Terenure didn't have a lot of what I was interested in such as the wet oil, chain cleaning kit and only some of the muc off cleaning sprays. I did get a bag, shorts and gt85.

It was hard to find but they did have the chain cleaning set

I have to say the GT85 is excellent as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Jizique wrote: »
    It was hard to find but they did have the chain cleaning set

Was it with all the bike stuff or off somewhere different? I'll be back there tomorrow and maybe they'll have it then

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I have to say the GT85 is excellent as always.

a good vintage?

• Advertisement

Was it with all the bike stuff or off somewhere different? I'll be back there tomorrow and maybe they'll have it then
    There were ere a few left in mine, so they should be around.
    loyatemu wrote: »
    a good vintage?
    Exquisite, I am no snob but I know a good lubricant/penetrant/water displacer when I get one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

dinneenp wrote: »

I bought one but my Presta valves don't have removable valve cores. I might have to seek out a specific inner tube. It works fine with Schrader but mine are all Presta.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Exquisite, I am no snob but I know a good lubricant/penetrant/water displacer when I get one.

Quickly checks that we're on the cycling forum and not the BDSM one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

For anyone interested Wexford Aldi (whitemill ind est) has chain cleaner, some muc off, gt85, glasses and baselayers

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

No chain cleaners in Belgard Aldi, raging!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Glasses and GT85 only in Aldi Naas. Bough a pair of glasses. I've loads of lube :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Bought some GT85...

What do people actually use it on?

jive wrote: »
    Bought some GT85...

What do people actually use it on?
    To the disgust of everyone I attach the straw and use it to blast clean and lubricate the chain on the commuter. It's really quick, handy and effective.

the current crop of GT85 is a bit nose heavy but with pleasant citrus overtones; with an aftertaste of mild nausea and vomiting.

• Advertisement

Youngest was delighted when I gave her squeaky buggy wheel a blast of it this evening. Not something I'd like to get near my bike wheels and discs :D

I'm torn between the smells tough, wd40 vs gt85

Advertisement