Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi-LIDL Specials - Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Anyone know if its one size only or multiple sizes?
    I think its just het one size, I think their 29er, based on reviews from elsewhere, is sized M/L, this looks to be a tiny bit smaller.
    iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I don't get the attraction that's more of a BSO than a mountain bike
    I'd disagree, it is certainly not high end but its not a BSO, and certainly on par with what you would 600/700 for in Halfords, the frames get OK reviews and would be fine for someone like me who doesn't get out as much as they would like too. It will certainly handle most of the trails around South Dublin/North Wicklow with ease but admittedly so can most CX bikes so not a high standard either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

CramCycle wrote: »
    I'd disagree, it is certainly not high end but its not a BSO, and certainly on par with what you would 600/700 for in Halfords, the frames get OK reviews and would be fine for someone like me who doesn't get out as much as they would like too. It will certainly handle most of the trails around South Dublin/North Wicklow with ease but admittedly so can most CX bikes so not a high standard either

As is your right but I'd still say you're wrong. We just have different ideas of trails and mountain bikes. As for the halfords comparison well that kinda speaks volumes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

It's an awful looking bike and you could get far better 2nd hand for €300. Yet people will be up at 6am to get one cause they think it's a great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

byrnem31 wrote: »
    It's an awful looking bike and you could get far better 2nd hand for €300. Yet people will be up at 6am to get one cause they think it's a great deal.

If you know what you're doing, you'll get something decent second hand. If you've no idea what you're doing, there's a good chance that you'll be ripped off buying a second hand POS that has been ripped off someone else.

Aldi would certainly be a better option for those who can't be sure of what they're buying second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

A number of years ago (3, 4 ?) Lidl had a really well priced road bike for sale. This forum really beat it up, and must have made it really hard for Lidl to try it again. Please, please don't go there again with this bike. If it gets more people out, its all good.

Has anyone a FIRST HAND report of the Lidl bike with good milage up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Roadtoad wrote: »
    A number of years ago (3, 4 ?) Lidl had a really well priced road bike for sale. This forum really beat it up, and must have made it really hard for Lidl to try it again. Please, please don't go there again with this bike. If it gets more people out, its all good.

Has anyone a FIRST HAND report of the Lidl bike with good milage up?

saw a good few around at the time . a lot were bought for the group set if I remember rightly. the frame was heavy . I looked at them myself but couldn't get one so bought a mk2 focus cayo which was my main bike for 11 years

in fact theres a whole thread on it if you care to look :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the stratos? i reckon that was about eight years ago. i think people were buying it for the groupset, and junking or giving away the frames in many cases.

i am somewhat taken aback with the suggesting that this forum might have had anything to do with them not selling it again. i don't think the forum is *that* powerful that it could affect a europe wide organisation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

As is your right but I'd still say you're wrong. We just have different ideas of trails and mountain bikes. As for the halfords comparison well that kinda speaks volumes :D
    I'm not sure about this bike but their previous MTBs were rebadged Trek Marlins. Having not risen one I figured as a big brand, they'd be grand, not great, but grand for Coillte trails. Better than Halfords but credit where it's due, reading a few reviews, the Voodoo's are probably a better buy but these will be fine on Coillte trails, but then so would most road bikes.

If you know what you're doing, you'll get something decent second hand. If you've no idea what you're doing, there's a good chance that you'll be ripped off buying a second hand POS that has been ripped off someone else.

Aldi would certainly be a better option for those who can't be sure of what they're buying second hand.

The bike in the supermarket would need some minor setting up so people in general are buying them trying to do it themselves that haven't a clue creating a death trap.

You can buy second hand bikes in shops or off mechanics for example the likes of recycle where the bike will be road worthy and serviced so there is far better value to be had going 2nd hand. If you buy a bike of johnner on Facebook who is 15 and had dodgy pictures up the first time, you deserve what you get. But going to a reputable business like recycle you will definitely get a better bike for the money.

It's better than someone buying a bike in a box off a supermarket shelf with no mechanical knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

The bike in the supermarket would need some minor setting up so people in general are buying them trying to do it themselves that haven't a clue creating a death trap.

You can buy second hand bikes in shops or off mechanics for example the likes of recycle where the bike will be road worthy and serviced so there is far better value to be had going 2nd hand. If you buy a bike of johnner on Facebook who is 15 and had dodgy pictures up the first time, you deserve what you get. But going to a reputable business like recycle you will definitely get a better bike for the money.

It's better than someone buying a bike in a box off a supermarket shelf with no mechanical knowledge.

I think that's a stretch. Plenty of kids (and adults) going around on so called BSOs, and they haven't died as a result. It's a bike. There's a kid in my estate here on a typical hard tail "mountain bike" as sold in a big store, and the fork was installed the wrong way round. Despite hurting my eyes, he hasn't died yet

The likelihood is it'll be bought for general knocking around for kids/teenagers like my eldest fella. Anyone regularly doing the hardest trails in the GAP or Ballinastoe or wherever, is unlikely to be queueing for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

I wonder will they be put together with the same due care and attention as halfords. I remember my bruised and shaken daughter coming into the house saying 'daddy santa forgot to tighten the wheel '

cletus wrote: »
    I think that's a stretch. Plenty of kids (and adults) going around on so called BSOs, and they haven't died as a result. It's a bike. There's a kid in my estate here on a typical hard tail "mountain bike" as sold in a big store, and the fork was installed the wrong way round. Despite hurting my eyes, he hasn't died yet

The likelihood is it'll be bought for general knocking around for kids/teenagers like my eldest fella. Anyone regularly doing the hardest trails in the GAP or Ballinastoe or wherever, is unlikely to be queueing for it

Death trap is just a saying meaning something is dangerous but you have taken it out of context to to try make your point more valid. But you knew what I meant.

I wouldn't t go near them with a bargepole being honest. As stated previously, far better to be bought out there. If anyone is considering buying one, pop up to recycle first and see if they have anything. I need a runaround myself soon so I'll be going up

I wonder will they be put together with the same due care and attention as halfords. I remember my bruised and shaken daughter coming into the house saying 'daddy santa forgot to tighten the wheel '

Yeah I'd generally take a pass on anyone putting a bike together for me let alone the kids without giving it a once over. To be fair to halfords not all stores are equal and some have some decent lads in the bike dept. Hope your daughter was ok :)

CramCycle wrote: »
    I'm not sure about this bike but their previous MTBs were rebadged Trek Marlins. Having not risen one I figured as a big brand, they'd be grand, not great, but grand for Coillte trails. Better than Halfords but credit where it's due, reading a few reviews, the Voodoo's are probably a better buy but these will be fine on Coillte trails, but then so would most road bikes.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of Marlin either :D I'm sure it will be fine for most as you say and I'd imagine most will be left rusting away in the back garden and that fork will patina wonderfully :p

The shortage of bikes at the moment and the ridiculous price of some of the high end models will no doubt have them walking out the door. I'd imagine they will find themselves a happy home on green ways.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I was in Halfords yesterday and a chap had a very new looking bike in to be looked at. The chain had snapped on it. I think he said he'd had it a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

At that price point it would be a better bike with a rigid fork and maybe a slightly wider front tyre.

You are better off in the short and long term with no suspension fork rather than a cheap one, but then it won't have the same appeal to a non enthusiast/regular Joe.

The best place to buy a bike(or most things)is second hand from an enthusiast.

Like most other Aldi specials most of these will rust out rather than rust out so its merits or faults hardly matter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

I was in Halfords yesterday and a chap had a very new looking bike in to be looked at. The chain had snapped on it. I think he said he'd had it a week.

Has to be carrera range..cheap for the features but dont think they r good quality

Death trap is just a saying meaning something is dangerous but you have taken it out of context to to try make your point more valid. But you knew what I meant.

I wouldn't t go near them with a bargepole being honest. As stated previously, far better to be bought out there. If anyone is considering buying one, pop up to recycle first and see if they have anything. I need a runaround myself soon so I'll be going up

You used hyperbolic language, I used hyperbolic language. I don't think any of the bikes sold in Aldi, or Halfords, or Smyth's Toys, or anywhere else will be any more inherently dangerous than a bike sold in an LBS.

If someone is buying a second hand bike, they need to know what to look out for to not buy a lemon.If they can do that, they can also safely check over a bike from Aldi.

On the other hand, if they are unable to tighten a wheel correctly, or ensure a seat post is secure on the Aldi bike, they're unlikely to be au fait with bikes to the degree that they could assess a second hand bike as being worthwhile buying or not.

So, yes, I did know what you meant. It's just that I disagree with you

I'd imagine they will find themselves a happy home on green ways.

That is exactly the target market here. Nobody considering dropping a couple of k on a bike will decide to go for this instead, but they're two different markets.

I just don't see the point in knocking them, though. Regulars on this forum have enough knowledge to be able to see the differences, and know the market they're designed for. I'd expect to see a few in the bike racks in my school in the next few weeks, given that cycling to school has seen quite an increase (at least in my place), since we came back at Easter. A job for which they will be more that adequate

That is exactly the target market here. Nobody considering dropping a couple of k on a bike will decide to go for this instead, but they're two different markets.

I just don't see the point in knocking them, though. Regulars on this forum have enough knowledge to be able to see the differences, and know the market they're designed for. I'd expect to see a few in the bike racks in my school in the next few weeks, given that cycling to school has seen quite an increase (at least in my place), since we came back at Easter. A job for which they will be more that adequate

It's just an opinion which forums are typically full of not a personal attack on this bike. :D I could well be saying I hate elephants breath and the aldi paint isn't a patch on Dulux or whatever you're having yourself. :D

Also the Lidl bike stand is far superior to the aldi bike stand :P

• Advertisement

It's just an opinion which forums are typically full of not a personal attack on this bike. :D I could well be saying I hate elephants breath and the aldi paint isn't a patch on Dulux or whatever you're having yourself. :D

Also the Lidl bike stand is far superior to the aldi bike stand :P

I get you, I was only using the end of your post to highlight the most likely use for these.

You used hyperbolic language, I used hyperbolic language. I don't think any of the bikes sold in Aldi, or Halfords, or Smyth's Toys, or anywhere else will be any more inherently dangerous than a bike sold in an LBS.

If someone is buying a second hand bike, they need to know what to look out for to not buy a lemon.If they can do that, they can also safely check over a bike from Aldi.

On the other hand, if they are unable to tighten a wheel correctly, or ensure a seat post is secure on the Aldi bike, they're unlikely to be au fait with bikes to the degree that they could assess a second hand bike as being worthwhile buying or not.

So, yes, I did know what you meant. It's just that I disagree with you

Edited to add: had to look up Recycle. Not much use if you don't live in Dublin

It does say it has hydraulic brakes if they're fully hydraulic and not cable actuated that'd be another positive. Decathlon has plenty of this style of bike for in and around the same money.

As mentioned previously a rigid fork and panniers I'd say it would be a better bike but some folks see front suspension and think that's better, same as folks think that more gears is more so must be better.

half the schoolkids i see on bikes around here are on bikes not dissimilar to that. it's what that part of the market wants.

Edited to add: had to look up Recycle. Not much use if you don't live in Dublin

You're really going out of your way to get your point across now aren't you. If you read my earlier comment it stated a shop like recycle or a mechanic that sells bikes you could find a better bike. I didn't say you have to buy the bike specifically in Dublin.

I know there might be a market for school kids for these types of bikes but I doubt many are on this forum. I was advising people on here that might buy one that there are better deals to be had than buying a heap of crap out of a supermarket for 300 quid.

I know there might be a market for school kids for these types of bikes but I doubt many are on this forum. I was advising people on here that might buy one that there are better deals to be had than buying a heap of crap out of a supermarket for 300 quid.
    by the same token, i doubt there are many people on this forum who would need that advice.

You're really going out of your way to get your point across now aren't you. If you read my earlier comment it stated a shop like recycle or a mechanic that sells bikes you could find a better bike. I didn't say you have to buy the bike specifically in Dublin.

Would you like to address any of my other points, or just the one about Recycle.

You claimed that these bikes are "death traps" and "dangerous". You then described them as "heaps of crap". I disagree completely with those sentiments. You have no evidence to support the first two statements, and I'm not even sure what to make of the heap of crap thing.

I can't see any regulars on this forum being confused about what type of bike this is, and for people dropping in to ask questions about it, such as, say, parents of school kids who might want to purchase, you're making disingenuous comments that would likely put them off buying.

There's 140 or so Aldi stores in the country. If they only get 5 bikes each, that's 700 perfectly adequate bicycles on the road, being used, whether it's for Sunday spins down the local Greenway, or going in and out to school every day.

Frankly, your comments strike me as elitist, and mildly ridiculous

Would you like to address any of my other points, or just the one about Recycle.

You claimed that these bikes are "death traps" and "dangerous". You then described them as "heaps of crap". I disagree completely with those sentiments. You have no evidence to support the first two statements, and I'm not even sure what to make of the heap of crap thing.

I can't see any regulars on this forum being confused about what type of bike this is, and for people dropping in to ask questions about it, such as, say, parents of school kids who might want to purchase, you're making disingenuous comments that would likely put them off buying.

There's 140 or so Aldi stores in the country. If they only get 5 bikes each, that's 700 perfectly adequate bicycles on the road, being used, whether it's for Sunday spins down the local Greenway, or going in and out to school every day.

Frankly, your comments strike me as elitist, and mildly ridiculous

I think you need to out and enjoy your Saturday rather than try to massage your ego on this arguing with me because someone doesn't have the same opinion as you.

rather than try to massage your ego on this arguing with me
    right folks, i think you've stated your positions. disagreeing with someone online is not 'ego massaging' or else we're all mad egotists here. can we leave this lie for a while?

• Advertisement

right folks, i think you've stated your positions. disagreeing with someone online is not 'ego massaging' or else we're all mad egotists here. can we leave this lie for a while?

Disagreeing with someone is one thing. However, when you need to twist someone's statements to suit your opinion is another. For example, I was accused of calling the bikes death traps when in fact I did not say that at all. I simply said the way they could be set up by people buying them who are cluseless about bikes in the first place could make them death traps. Ie, brakes not working correctly etc.

Therefore, I do think it's ego massaging. But that's just my opinion.

Advertisement