Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi-LIDL Specials - Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Thanks. Just checked the website and indeed the roof box was affected by current shipping issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Lidl have some bits on 26/05

I seem to recall that floor pump being €6.99 in 2020 (?)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭devonp

yeah got one for 6.99 sometime even before 2020, i leave it at work..

Aldi have this for e24.99 on 12/06

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Any feedback on the Aldi Bikemate Rear Camera (and light)?

€30 - full HD, is it awful?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I returned mine. Form factor is brutal. It makes a screeching noise when turning on or off. Image quality is about the same as the original fly6, and even though that was big and ugly, this is another level. For 30 quid though it's probably okay as a just in case tool

15/08 Lidl

I bought that exact floor pump in August 2019 for €6.99

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭cletus

Has the workstand gone up in price too?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i got one for €30 about five years ago. so yes, but not by much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭traco

Been waiting for that stand to appear. Have that pump ages and it still does the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I got the Lidl rechargeable front and rear light set over well over a year ago. The back one [red] is excellent but the front one runs down fast and recharging it goes a bit wobble after a while. seems to never fully recharge so I plug it out after 3 hours. keeping it on charge seems to degrade it more than anything else. I will buy a new set soon, while they are not as powerful as the battery ones like Duracell bunny 🐰 they do a sound enough job.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I think the helmet may have gone down in price. I've a vague memory of it being é20 or maybe €15.

Have Aldi and Lidl given up on shorts and 3/4 length trousers? Some of my stuff is starting to fall apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭cletus

Haven't seen them the last few times, but last winter I got a pair full length bib pants, so they were doing them up till then, anyway.

The bike offerings have reduced in general the last few times, so maybe supply issues

I've been mooching around Decathlon as an alternative for the clothing. They have a few options for shorts, but I can't find any 3/4 pants. They have ladies ones; https://www.decathlon.ie/cycling-tights-and-trousers/328701-143262-women-s-road-cycling-3slash4-tights-500-blackslashcoral.html#/demodelsize-200xs/demodelcolor-8603965?queryID=15be4407cb0e298f874003bf2b0490b8&objectID=4144804

Am I missing something?

Galibier have decent 3/4 bibs for about 80 euro and they are worth that. Great to deal with in terms of enquiries for sizing and returns if need be. They also have more MTB shorts called Trail II that I pair with tights or leg warmers on colder winter days and in general are a really nice pair of shorts for commuting.

It's worth spending a bit if you are getting daily use out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Just tried the local Lidl and the gloves are actually retailing at €5.99 and not €3.49 as their brochure.

Spoke to the manager showed him the link from here but to quote Thatcher, he was not for turning.

He inputted the code on a scanner and it came up €5.99 and he went with that.

So no sale from me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Cheap gloves are a false economy. Get some decent leather mitts from Galibier and they'll last a long time.

I have some prendass ones that I've had for years and years and others from elsewhere. I've not had a lidl / aldi pair last beyond a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I don't think any of the Lidl/Aldi clothes are worth buying unless you're just starting out, even then you'd be better off going to Decathlon. They're poorly made, don't fit well and the pads in the shorts/tights are rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Pretty much! The Sam Vimes Boots Theory.

The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money. Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles. But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while a poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet. This was the Captain Samuel Vimes "Boots" theory of socioeconomic unfairness. ~ Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I bought a base layer from Lidl in 2013 and it is still my preferred base layer and still has a nice hugging fit.

Bought a Nukeproof merno base layer from CRC for multiples of what the Lidl one cost and was poorly fitting from day 1. I wouldn't say it is any warmer either.

However I guess that one swallow doesn't make a summer - I've shorts from the same Lidl purchase which were quickly relegated in favour of decent shorts.

I'd be happy to if Decathlon had what I need.

I know you're only messing, but they're a great spring/autumn phase for me, too chilly for shorts, but don't want to be in full length tights. Aldi or Lidl used to do them for men and women, Aliexpress do them for men and women, but not Decathlon - at least not without going for a full bib version, which isn't my thing for commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

I'll stand up for the Aldi/Lidl gloves. I've had a few pairs over the years and TBH I prefer them to way more expensive brands. I have big hands and struggle to find gloves to even fit me, but I've had expensive gloves from Sportful that looked like they had decent gel pads, but in practice turned out to be dreadful. A really nice looking pair of Van Rysel gloves from Decathlon had a horrible seam between thumb and index finger that only becomes apparent after wearing the damn things for an hour. The exception was a pair of Specialized gloves I got years ago which were super comfortable and I used until I couldn't repair them any more.

The several pairs I've had from Aldi/Lidl over the past few years have served me well. Easily comfortable enough to do centuries, I've gotten years well over 10k km out of them, which I can't really ask more of - at that stage any glove regardless of price is usually so manky it deserves the bin anyway. I will add the caveat though that some offers seem to be better quality than others.

I am a Galibier fan though, so do feel I may be giving theirs a go in the near future

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have pair of cycling gloves i bought in tk maxx which have lasted me about six or seven years, mainly leather with a bit of fabric. they're really starting to fall apart now - but i just mention it as if you're in a tk maxx it may not be the sort of thing you'd think to look for there.

the brand name is harbinger.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Nothing wrong with LIDL or ALDI gear, I've bought much more expensive stuff that hasn't come close to lasting as long. Yes there are brands that will but alot of that mid range stuff from 'reputable' brands isn't any better. More stylish maybe but that's it.

I got the helmet and it’s a good fit, but what the hell are the three little plastic studs about?

Are they to fill in the gaps if you remove the sun visor maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I’ve had the gloves. I’ve also had a pair of bontrager gloves. Decathlon gloves. Biemme gloves. other branded ones. Would never buy lidl ones again, they were absolute muck.

jerseys were ok. Grand.

shorts were worse than terrible. I thought they were decent as they were the first pair I owned but then I got a proper pair and I realised there were really brutal. Ie the pads.

the base layers. I also bought a few around 2012/13. Sleeveless ones. I still have them all and they all get worn plenty. Great going for a run also. Some of the best base layers I have when you don’t need full arm cover

• Advertisement

+1 on the base layers. Hoping Aldi have some maybe in their next offering. Any I've got have all been a nice length and held shape well. That said I preferred the mix of materials in the older ones and they were lighter too.

Advertisement