Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi-LIDL Specials - Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,010 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Weepsie wrote: »
    I've contacted them via 3 mediums so hopefully I get something sorted. Curse my panic hoarding!

I find mediums notoriously unreliable for customer services. All this 'Is there any there' nonsense and closing their eyes and all that. You might just be better ringing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Alek wrote: »
    Yes, the rear+front set. Got another one, one left im Rathmines

Bought these and seem ok, time will tell.

They had bike stands in my local but sold out early. The clothes I left as I have plenty gear for the winter cycling I'll be doing.
    I also picked up a few cans of GT85, never goes to waste for cleaning etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

who wants a rear mounted bike camera anyway??

its footage from the front you want surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭SteM

Why do people keep complaining about the Fly6 quality? I've just checked the footage from my commute home and anything that comes close enough to hit me can be easily identified. it definitely picks up license plates although you may have to pause the video. But's they're for identification in case of an accident, they're not supposed to be a go-pro quality action cam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Any Thoughts on the indoor winter trainer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

fryup wrote: »
    who wants a rear mounted bike camera anyway??

its footage from the front you want surely?

Exactly what I was thinking. Most accidents surely come from oncoming traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Well was given one of these rear light cameras today and charged it up and then went to use it and no sd card in it, drop kicking this back tomorrow morning, so will never know if it was good or not

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

NBar wrote: »
    Well was given one of these rear light cameras today and charged it up and then went to use it and no sd card in it, drop kicking this back tomorrow morning, so will never know if it was good or not

Card comes in a seperate plastic slip in the packaging, make sure its not in there, easily missed in the wrapping.

Giving it a shot tomorrow, if it works OK, I'll keep it, if not, i will return.

Aldi Bray have loads of everything except the long john Merino left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Aldi Rathmines have scraps of clothing, turbos and the blood of the losers of the battle for the good bits....nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

NBar wrote: »

The SD card came in the box separately.

On another note the quality of the €20 performance bike light is superior, the light it gives off is mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭SteM

Most of my cycling is done in Dublin traffic and most of the near misses I have are from bad overtaking or cars encroaching on top of me. It's the reason I got the fly 6 in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

both aldis I was in this evening had loads of stuff

rural aldis are great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Quite a bit of lights and clothing stock left in Sallynoggin. Not sure about the camera though.

Two full boxes of cameras behind the counters in Bray according to the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Damn this thread :D I was looking at the comments all day and deciding it was just as well I couldn't make my local Aldi first thing. Then saw a few comments saying maybe the light isn't as bad as some thought so took myself down to Clonee. They've tons of stuff left so I bought the neckwarmer, waterproof socks, merino arm warmers and yes, one camera light.... They seem to only have two left, I had to ask, they were behind the tills. How long do we have for a full refund? I won't get a chance to test it out till Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

good bit of stuff left in Greystones earlier, with a lot of people looking at them. Got the merino jersey (didn't seem to be any of the merino baselayers) and the leg warmers (I've never had leg warmers before, do I wear them with shorts, or over tights?). Hopefully keep me cycling over the winter, which I've been a bit lazy about in the past.

My main complaint about the jersey is that it's entirely black, just what you need on dark winter days :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Just charged up the camera light and for €60 it does the job nicely, can’t imagine the Fly6 is worth double the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

AmberGold wrote: »
    Just charged up the camera light and for €60 it does the job nicely, can’t imagine the Fly6 is worth double the price.

Spot on , from what I’ve read it’s very similar and has loop recording . Cycliq must be bulling over it Now when are the bringing out the fly 12 front copy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

The merino socks are toasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

AmberGold wrote: »

Does the fly6 pick up its own light? The aldi unit blinds itself....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Spot on , from what I’ve read it’s very similar and has loop recording . Cycliq must be bulling over it Now when are the bringing out the fly 12 front copy

The talk was no loop recording?

Aldi fly12 clone would be awesome. I have the drift and it's great for short spins but anything over 2hrs or so and it dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

A lot of the newsworthy (as deemed by the media) accidents recently have been cyclists hit from behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Macy0161 wrote: »
    A lot of the newsworthy (as deemed by the media) accidents recently have been cyclists hit from behind.

Absolutely agree with that! Most close passes originate from the rear. A front on one gives the cyclist a chance to avoid but from behind = no chance , and extremely scary if the driver really goes for the close pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Macy0161 wrote: »

I'm not doubting that and that was the reason i was going to buy one, when i thought it was a set of front/rear cameras,(read the description wrong) but i'm still more worried about whats happening in front of me especially at roundabouts.
    I try to cycle in a straight enough line so if i get hit from behind when the onus is on the person behind when overtaking it will be their fault.

Anyway i'm just going to fit my Gopro as its much better quality video.

I'm not doubting that and that was the reason i was going to buy one, when i thought it was a set of front/rear cameras,(read the description wrong) but i'm still more worried about whats happening in front of me especially at roundabouts.
    Most of my issues are punishment/ close passes. But I'd agree the ideal set up is one front one rear.

I want a front one as I think one of the biggest dangers motorists put us in is not actually a close pass, it's overtaking (even with enough space) when they can't see far enough in front (bends/ brows of hills etc) to be sure to safely complete the overtake.

Tried out the camera this morning, glaring sun. Looks better on the PC than on youtube but it picked up all license plates close by. Its a big chunk of a thing but I am happy out.

Winter gloves - warm and while I didn't feel it, hands were a bit sweaty by arrival in work

Merino outer top (not 100% merino, lucky if there is any) - done the job. Medium is a large except for the arm length, finger hooks are pointless as the arms are just normal length. Overall it kept me warm and not too sweaty.

Light set - rear is grand. Front light is very squared off. Better than the quivalent Lezyne for city commuting as its shaped but far worse than a cateye volt or similar as it is too focused on country roads. Still a decent light and for that price, great value, my new back ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭willdill

Anyone any info on these.Surely merino is merino no matter where its sold from.Defo need to upgrade my own ones dont owe me anything no more they served me well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Some are better than others. Some lose their shape very quickly (Galibier, with apologies to the Galibier lovers on here); others hold their shape really well (Icebreaker, Isobaa, Rivelo). Full retail on merino is often crazy prices...sportpursuit generally has a fair stock of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I bought long johns and base layer. Base layer larger than i expected- but I don't really care tbh and it should do the job. Long johns were fine.

As to performance/quality - i only bought then yesterday, so will not know until it is cold enough that i decide to use them. 100% merino wool, so inclined to expect will work. Perhaps someone who has bought them last year can shed light on that, assuming they were sold last year.

• Advertisement

I'd assume merino is merino. However, when researching whether the Aldi ones were any good (as good as any was what I came back with), I came across quite a lot of negativity about merino in general. It was moot anyway, as all gone in the Aldi I tried.

Advertisement