Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have Dell gone to dogs

Options
  • 22-09-2017 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Was looking at buying a Dell laptop as I had a few Dells over the years. In the early stages of looking on rhe Dell website for a laptop and had a few issues with ordering, prices were changing like the wind. Anyway what annoyed me was how difficult it was to get answers, it seems like if you don't fit into a given catagory you cannot contact Dell, not easily anyway. It got me thinking so I checked the Net and Lo and behold there were a lot of ppl saying that Dells customer service has really gone downhill lately and even their hardware is not what it was. I did eventually get to send an email but was ignored. If I pass on a Dell who makes good laptops and is known for good customer after sales care, anyone buy a good laptop recently circa €700. It will be mostly for work so weight would be an issue, approx 4-5 lbs. Any tips appericated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Your mistake was to try contact customer service. Ring sales and, in my experience, you will get to talk to someone fairly promptly.

And Dell are very much like the other laptop / PC manufacturers. There is very little margin in low end machines so every little bit of fat has been cut out of the process. Customer service in India, online buying only, etc. etc.

I find Dell no worse or better than any other. With the benefit that if you buy a Dell, you get the latest technology. Go to a B&M shop and they might try and flog you an obsolete machine if your budget is low.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

unkel wrote: »

And Dell are very much like the other laptop / PC manufacturers. There is very little margin in low end machines so every little bit of fat has been cut out of the process. Customer service in India, online buying only, etc. etc.

A couple of years ago Dell machines were available in PC World. Has this now stopped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

A couple of years ago Dell machines were available in PC World. Has this now stopped?
    PC World have fairly recently closed down a number of their bricks &mortar stores, like the store in Liffey valley mall and Square Tallaght. Their online selection of laptops has probably been curtailed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The one real change is fulfilment.

Limerick (Some stuff) -> Poland for a couple years -> Mainland China now. Used to order Tuesday morning, arrive Wednesday afternoon. Now its like 6 days.

HP have lots of problems. Lenovo have had repeated security fails so are blacklisted personally. Sony closed their business unit. That leaves Dell, Asus, Toshiba (never liked Tosh ID).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

OP. T series lenovo's are fairly robust (t420, t430, t440) loads of refurb ones on ebay & amazon

• Advertisement
Advertisement