Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being made redundant

Options
  • 22-09-2017 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

I'm being made redundant in the next couple of weeks. Im financially comfortable for the next year or so and I know Im entitled to a social payment through my stamps. Ive a newborn baby so im looking at it as an opportunity to spend time with him. The problem is Ive never been unemployed so I don't know how i'll handle staying at home the whole time. Question I have is if I was to take on a part time or a casual job how does it effect my social welfare. Like If I was to make we'll say 200€ in a part time role, my limited payroll knowledge would say that isnt enough for a stamp, so would I be better off just sitting on the dole until I find a full time job or do they top up the payment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

If you take on a part time job for 3 days or less you can still claim a reduced Job Seekers Benefit payment which is based on your stamps. If you work 19 hours or more a week you can claim Family Income Support (so long as you're not claiming jobseekers) now that you have a child. As long as you are in a job earning over €37 per week there will be an employer prsi contribution made for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Two points. Your social welfare is based on what you would have paid in 2015 which is the relevant tax year. If you made contributions then you will qualify for jobseekers benefit, non means tested.

You must prove you are available and looking for full time work. Only applying for part time jobs will mean disqualification. What you could do is get casual work...3 or less days a week...and get social welfare for the days you don't work...but you can't get anything if you do say 4 or 5 mornings.

If you're not intending to work before year end remember to claim back your tax and usc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Cheers for all the replys folks. Just wondering aswell, my wife is on materntiy leave. Is there any other payments I should be applying for. Like I said Ive worked for 20 years so this is completely new to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    I'm being made redundant in the next couple of weeks. Im financially comfortable for the next year or so and I know Im entitled to a social payment through my stamps. Ive a newborn baby so im looking at it as an opportunity to spend time with him. The problem is Ive never been unemployed so I don't know how i'll handle staying at home the whole time. Question I have is if I was to take on a part time or a casual job how does it effect my social welfare. Like If I was to make we'll say 200€ in a part time role, my limited payroll knowledge would say that isnt enough for a stamp, so would I be better off just sitting on the dole until I find a full time job or do they top up the payment.

Since you first time unemployed, not take you long to find a new job. When i got redundant i got a full year to claim with no hassle from social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭HurlingBoy

Something to be aware off is that there are disqualification periods to claim job seekers benefit if you receive a redundancy lump sum payment of more that 50K.
    See http://www.citizensinformation.ie for the disqualification periods.
    If you plan on taking time off its probably a good idea to sign on straight away but depending on your redundancy payment you will will not get paid until the disqualification period is up(maximum is 9 weeks).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Ah its not that much. Im below the threshold for tax aswell so should be quick enough. Just very hard to get info off them

Advertisement