Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ash Vac/Ash Disposal Help!

Options
  • 22-09-2017 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any tips, recommendations or advice for fire ash disposal? Coal/turf..

I seen Aldi is selling an ash vac from Sunday, but a lot of mixed reviews about the filter being clogged after one use.

So far I just dump the ash into a wheelbarrow and then wheel it to the end of the garden when it's full to dump it. But I'm not looking forward to doing that all winter long in the rain etc, but the wheelbarrow is very old, the wheel is broken & it's rusted to bits.

So I don't know whether to get a new wheelbarrow & eventually ruin the garden draggin it thru during bad weather or get this ash vac from Aldi..

Any advice?!

TIA

Comments

If it's turf or wood ash then you could always use a small bucket and spread it around the garden by just sprinkling it around in a different area each time. It will improve the soil over time.
    Don't do this if you're burning coal as that is toxic, it's a bad idea to dump coal ash in the garden at all it really should go into your landfill bin.

As for ash vacs, you still have to dispose of the ash afterwards..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Yeah im the same i just throw it in the corner behind a bush, the pile never gets any bigger, even after 10 years.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The one I bought from Aldi a few years ago was rubbish, with the filters clogging up too quick, allowing the motor on top to then get very hot as air throughput diminished.

The one I see on Sunday looks different to mine, with castors, so I am not sure how good that one is, or if it's an improvement over the one I have with a blue top.

Advertisement