Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGDE QQI Level

Options
  • 22-09-2017 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Just wondering if another teacher can tell me what QQI level would a Postgraduate Diploma in Education be?

I graduated in 2010 before the PME was introduced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Back in 2010, it was a level 9. However after that it became the professionaldiploma in education and was placed at level 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Thanks. I'm currently applying for the Post Grad related to teaching, which is also a level 9. As a sub teacher, I was hoping to apply for a grant but only eligible if it's a higher QQI level than previously attained. It's enough to make me consider a Masters :)

Maybe you could argue it being the level 8? Or check with your college to see if if any of your level 9 credits could be used against the masters, making it cheaper?:)

Well, the Level 9 Postgrad can be extended to become a Masters. It'd take 3-4 years part time instead of 2, but it might be an option. Only thing is, I'd be 4 modules in before I transferred to the Masters programme and I'm thinking of only doing 2 modules, due to the expense of it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

It's Level 8. It was never Level 9. Other postgraduate diplomas were level 9 but the PGDE was never actually placed on the framework, but many assumed it was also level 9 based on the name. That's why the name was changed to Professional Diploma in Education. There was quite a row about it when it came to light in 2009/2010.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

It's Level 8. It was never Level 9. Other postgraduate diplomas were level 9 but the PGDE was never actually placed on the framework, but many assumed it was also level 9 based on the name. That's why the name was changed to Professional Diploma in Education. There was quite a row about it when it came to light in 2009/2010.

UCD were telling students that it was a level 9 from around 2007-2011. But then backtracked a bit and said 'ah that was actually a 'floating' qualification folks'.... hence it was retrospectively downgraded to level 8 by the nqai.
    DKeogh 's post here in 2011 gives you a sense of the context :pac: http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056424921/2
    So ya pgde seems to be a level 8

It depends on what it was called at graduation .
    PGDE = level 9
    Professional diploma in education= level 8.

I can testify to this because I have an official letter from QQI (formally NFQ) stating my postgraduate diploma in education is NFQ level 9.

Postgrad, did you qualify from NUIG as well?

If not, I'd be tempted to get in touch with QQI myself to double check. Not doubting what you're saying here, it just seems silly that the level is determined by the name rather than the content of the course.

Advertisement