Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daft.ie Scam?

Options
  • 22-09-2017 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Looking to rent a new place. Found a really nice place on Daft & registered by my request to view. After a bit of back & forth I received the below.

Does it smell of scam or am I being a bit too cynical? Also, if not a scam... what am I expected to do if, say, the washing machine starts playing silly buggers? Call AirBnB? Doubt it... ha!

Never came across this approach before...

Cheers,
    Dutchy.

Thank you for your quick reply.
    At this moment I'm in Italy and can not be present to deal face to face. I come to Ireland every 6 months for 3 or 4 days and if you rent my apartment I will stay to a hotel. I can make arrangements to rent the apartment through Airbnb ( airbnb.com ) which is an international company dealing specifically in rentals apartments, I used it in the past and I was very pleased for their services. The reason I use Airbnb is because they are one of the most biggest rental company around the world and I really trust them. I would suggest to open the Airbnb website and read their payment policy to better understand the process.
    https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/92/when-am-i-charged-for-a-reservation?topic=220
    Using Airbnb involves three parties: me as owner, you as a potential tenant and Airbnb as a responsible third party authorized to proper conduct the transaction.
    I will open a Instant Book on the Airbnb website and indicate you as my potential tenant. After that, they will contact you with the payment details, and they will ask you to make the payment for the fist month of rent plus security deposit. After they receive your deposit, they will notify me immediately to start the shipping of the keys and the rental contract. After you’ll receive the keys and contract, you check the apartment and decide if you want to rent it or not. After the inspection you will contact Airbnb and tell your decision: TAKE THE APARTMENT or NOT ! If you don't take the apartment they will refund your payment.

If you accept the Airbnb policy please provide me with the following details for your referencing application so that I can register the transaction with Airbnb and move forward.

Your phone number
    Full name
    The date you want to move in
    How many people are going to live in my apartment
    For how long do you want to rent the apartment

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Dutchy wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Looking to rent a new place. Found a really nice place on Daft & registered by my request to view. After a bit of back & forth I received the below.

Does it smell of scam or am I being a bit too cynical? Also, if not a scam... what am I expected to do if, say, the washing machine starts playing silly buggers? Call AirBnB? Doubt it... ha!

Never came across this approach before...

Cheers,
    Dutchy.

Thank you for your quick reply.
    At this moment I'm in Italy and can not be present to deal face to face. I come to Ireland every 6 months for 3 or 4 days and if you rent my apartment I will stay to a hotel. I can make arrangements to rent the apartment through Airbnb ( airbnb.com ) which is an international company dealing specifically in rentals apartments, I used it in the past and I was very pleased for their services. The reason I use Airbnb is because they are one of the most biggest rental company around the world and I really trust them. I would suggest to open the Airbnb website and read their payment policy to better understand the process.
    https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/92/when-am-i-charged-for-a-reservation?topic=220
    Using Airbnb involves three parties: me as owner, you as a potential tenant and Airbnb as a responsible third party authorized to proper conduct the transaction.
    I will open a Instant Book on the Airbnb website and indicate you as my potential tenant. After that, they will contact you with the payment details, and they will ask you to make the payment for the fist month of rent plus security deposit. After they receive your deposit, they will notify me immediately to start the shipping of the keys and the rental contract. After you’ll receive the keys and contract, you check the apartment and decide if you want to rent it or not. After the inspection you will contact Airbnb and tell your decision: TAKE THE APARTMENT or NOT ! If you don't take the apartment they will refund your payment.

If you accept the Airbnb policy please provide me with the following details for your referencing application so that I can register the transaction with Airbnb and move forward.

Your phone number
    Full name
    The date you want to move in
    How many people are going to live in my apartment
    For how long do you want to rent the apartment

Scam!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Scam

Stay clear

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Looks like a scam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 fflynn

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Dutchy

Thought as much - cheers folks.

EDIT - property now removed from daft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

I assume it ends up with him asking you to pay him directly or via a fake version of airbnb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

dubrov wrote: »
    I assume it ends up with him asking you to pay him directly or via a fake version of airbnb

Yup.. Reverse search the pictures of the apartment on Google.

If they mention AC its a scam.

I worry about the future of the human race sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dutchy wrote: »
    Found a really nice place on Daft

At this moment I'm in Italy and can not be present to deal face to face
    These two lines = scam.

Advertisement