Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter coat/ jacket

• 22-09-2017 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

In the market (like most people I assume) for a stylish winter coat.

GStar used to do a nice line of them but not recently, and think Superdry have lost all originality and are producing the same each year.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd be a Barbour man myself. Got my first one at twelve. Last forever. The International a nice one, as worn by Steve McQueen in motorbike races he was in.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

North face man myself. Talk about hard wearing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

+1 for North Face. Have a few of their jackets and there is not a mark on them. Well worth the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

radonicus wrote: »
    In the market (like most people I assume) for a stylish winter coat.

GStar used to do a nice line of them but not recently, and think Superdry have lost all originality and are producing the same each year.

Any suggestions?

I wouldn't associate Gstar or SuperDry as stylish. Nor NorthFace as some have mentioned.

I love my Barbour (navy) jacket, wouldn't call it overly stylish though (sorry Wibbs :D ) I wouldn't wear it out to dinner or for work though, but certainly a class above the others.

Mango in Arnotts, if you are in Dublin, have some long dressy work ones and are very well priced.

Ted Baker my 'go to' for what I'd call stylish jackets though. Cant beat them and wear well.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

There's a brand , I can't remember the correct name, I'm thinking rum & duffel, they make very good quality coats. Only stocked inhigh end men's shops, can someone please help me out with the brand name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Dionysis wrote: »
    There's a brand , I can't remember the correct name, I'm thinking rum & duffel, they make very good quality coats. Only stocked inhigh end men's shops, can someone please help me out with the brand name.

Scotch and Soda?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

TheBiz wrote: »
    Scotch and Soda?

Found it.,Wasn't too far off the mark.

'Duffel & Rums' is the brand I was looking for.

High end coats, worth looking at. House of Fraser stock them occasionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Slattsy wrote: »
    I wouldn't associate Gstar or SuperDry as stylish. Nor NorthFace as some have mentioned.

I love my Barbour (navy) jacket, wouldn't call it overly stylish though (sorry Wibbs :D ) I wouldn't wear it out to dinner or for work though, but certainly a class above the others.

Mango in Arnotts, if you are in Dublin, have some long dressy work ones and are very well priced.

Ted Baker my 'go to' for what I'd call stylish jackets though. Cant beat them and wear well.

Took out a winter coat as its been cold the last few mornings. Went for a Magee, forgot to mention them above.

Very stylish and well made. Buy Irish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

It's hard to find the right one I think.

You need something that keeps you dry and warm but doesn't make you look like you are an advertisement for Gortex. The more fashionable ones end up getting damp and smelly and aren't suitable for being in the rain for longer periods.

I like browsing through Huckberry - it's an American site and you might get stung for import charges but they have some lovely bits and pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Going to check out a few of the brands mentioned above as I need a new one myself

GAP actually have some very nice, cheap pea coats - got a top notch navy one a year or so ago, very fond of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭radonicus

I'm a nightmare buying clothes.

M&S have nice wool coats but they don't fit well. Look nice though.

Bought a Barbour quilted jacket but I'm returning it, just not into it.

The search continues..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

brevity wrote: »
    It's hard to find the right one I think.

You need something that keeps you dry and warm but doesn't make you look like you are an advertisement for Gortex. The more fashionable ones end up getting damp and smelly and aren't suitable for being in the rain for longer periods.

I agree, I've found it impossible to get a jacket that is both stylish and functional.

I have a dark grey, wool knee-length coat from Zara and also a quilted Barbour style jacket but I never want to be out in the rain for too long when I'm wearing them. But they do look great though! :)

For everyday winter wear, I have a North Face jacket that will survive anything. It's dark navy with not too many logos on it, but I still wouldn't call it stylish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd be a Barbour man myself. Got my first one at twelve. Last forever. The International a nice one, as worn by Steve McQueen in motorbike races he was in.

Can’t go wrong with a Barbour. Got two of them - a utility wax jacket and a quilted one. Top jackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭radonicus

Went with Barbour in the end, their Chingle jacket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Belstaff make great jackets, I could never justify paying full price but on sale or second hand they're worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I have a Jack Wolfskin halifax, got it because of its matt finish, its not the standard shiny material. Never lets me down

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Inspired by this thread, I got a Ted Baker peacoat, loving it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Klopp

CatInABox wrote: »
    Inspired by this thread, I got a Ted Baker peacoat, loving it so far.

Where did you pick up the coat? I was having a look at these online and they're all very expensive, maybe that's the price for the quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I got a good CK winter coat in Canada, so warm and comfy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Klopp wrote: »
    Where did you pick up the coat? I was having a look at these online and they're all very expensive, maybe that's the price for the quality.

I might not be much help, as I'm based in the UK. Perhaps ParcelMotel might be able to help though.

I went with John Lewis, as they were doing a price match. No idea with where, but it meant £60 off the asking price from anywhere else I saw. It's gone back up since though, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

House of Fraser have regular sales at the moment, there's been 2 different ones in the last 3 weeks alone.
    Keep an eye out for them online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Klopp wrote: »

It would be worth checking the Ted Baker shop in Kildare Village. Make sure that you download the Kildare Village app or do whatever to get all of the discounts that you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Klopp

Great suggestions, i'll keep my eye on for discounts. Thanks guy's :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

I got a lovely Remus Uomo 3/4 length wool blend coat in Arnott's bargain basement a couple of years back for €80-90. F**ker doesn't fit me anymore since I got the T1D. On the look out since for an upgrade.

Irish Wolf wrote: »
    I got a lovely Remus Uomo 3/4 length wool blend coat in Arnott's bargain basement a couple of years back for €80-90. F**ker doesn't fit me anymore since I got the T1D. On the look out since for an upgrade.

Thanks for the shout about Remus Uomo. I'm on the lookout for a new wool-type 3/4 length overcoat, and they have one that could be just right.

Sorry about the T1D :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Drop into a TK Maxx. I picked up a CANADA winter coat in Blanchardstown store a couple of days ago. €99 and a proper solid, warm coat with plenty of pockets. Incidentally, I also picked up my other winter coat in TK Maxx about 5 years ago. I watched the price drop from a little over €500 to ~€160 over the period of about a month. Warmest coat I have ever owned. Can't recall the brand and too lazy to go check, but TK Maxx has a good selection.

I don't work for them :)

Thanks for the shout about Remus Uomo. I'm on the lookout for a new wool-type 3/4 length overcoat, and they have one that could be just right.

I went shopping on Sunday and ended up buying this Remus Uomo coat :D

https://www.remusuomo.com/slim-fit-wool-rich-overcoat-12824

I looked in Brown Thomas, Louis Copeland etc. but the Remus Uomo coat ticked all the boxes.
    At €260, it's not cheap. But it's stylish (while still classic/timeless), fits great and will last. It doesn't need to be weatherproof as I have a North Face jacket also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

I went shopping on Sunday and ended up buying this Remus Uomo coat

The grey speckled version is quite similar to mine, without the fancy red lining.. nice choice.

Health to wear, wealth to tear, and all that good stuff :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

radonicus wrote: »
    I'm a nightmare buying clothes.

M&S have nice wool coats but they don't fit well. Look nice though.

I would second the M&S ones - also, they're not as expensive as some of the stuff mentioned here, but still last; I had one for a good 5/6 years.

As for the fit, depends on your build - and we'd go back into the same thing as the "ultra tight shirts fad" that's been discussed in the other thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement