Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access question

Options
  • 22-09-2017 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

Hi all-this should be an interesting post....so I'm wondering what fishermens general take on this incidence is. We have a river in our land flows about a mile through in total. We farm. Historically we never had a problem with fishermen-we don't fish so they might as well. However four cut wires to get access to the river and a bullet hole in one of our water troughs changed our mind. I'm aware the bullet hole isn't fishing related but it added to the whole thing where I decided I wanted to know when people were on our land and for what purpose. So met a fisherman this evening I had never seen before. I was checking our cows. So called out to him and politely asked if he had permission to be there (knowing full well he didn't!!!) and his attitude with me!!! Apparently he had fished there before years before and what issue was it of mine? I pointed out we owned the land and had been having problems. He said it was too hard to access the water and his tone was as arrogant and when I pointed out we had a bull who wasn't the friendliest he said it "wouldn't be a problem". Then asked how many of the fields were ours and I said he could continue to fish this evening but he needed to let us know in future. He said he wouldn't be bothered and was just going to go. Now this was a man in his forties-also a cow jumped up on the other I remarked on it (they should all be in Calf) and he said that's what they do!!! He was acting as if he was 100% in the right and I was being an unreasonable bitch-so what's fishermens thoughts on this? It's a pity as it's the behaviour of a few that cause these problems-there is two other guys that fish I have no issues with!! It's his attitude of entitlement that baffles me.
    So what's fishermen general attitude towards accessing waterways?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It depends on the arrangements locally. Some clubs have the rights to fish and access the fishing on stretches of water. Who owns the rights where you are?
    That guy was totally out of order and should just have politely left and raised it with his club.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

L1985 wrote: »
    I was being an unreasonable bitch-so what's fishermens thoughts on this? It's a pity as it's the behaviour of a few that cause these problems-there is two other guys that fish I have no issues with!! It's his attitude of entitlement that baffles me.
    So what's fishermen general attitude towards accessing waterways?
    Back in Ireland, I fished where I could. There was a river in Leixlip that you have to be a member of a fishing club, or you needed to get a fishing pass in a shop.

Other than that, unless there was a pre-existing allowance, I wouldn't go through farmers land.

IMO, if you see the two lads fish regularly, let them know you don't mind if they fished, once they were aware of the bull, and put a "no trespassing" sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It depends on the arrangements locally. Some clubs have the rights to fish and access the fishing on stretches of water. Who owns the rights where you are?
    I'd say the rights got reset when the OP took charge of the land, as any arrangements would've been with the previous owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

That's happening all over the country, only takes 1 or 2 people to spoil it for everyone. OP you seemed to act very reasonable. It will say on the deeds of the land who has the fishing rights. If you have never been contacted about this or by a club, it's very likely the rights will be with yourselves. Therefore you can refuse entry. You could look into it and sort it for next year as if it's a salmon or trout river, the season will be closing soon so they won't be back out until next year. Even if a club did have the rights to the fishing in your land, it by no means whatsoever allows him to access any part of your land as it is private. If there's a club on the river, get that lads name or number plate and pass it onto someone in the club, tell them you wil refuse all entry if they don't kop on and let them deal with it How is he getting to the river in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

Are you sure its fishermen cutting wires it could be shooters or rather poachers especially if there was a bullet hole in one of your troughs are there deer in your area by any chance.have to say never had any problems accessing river bank in my area although there are 2 or 3 places I know of where the farmers don't allow you fish although one of these guys is just saving all the good fishing for himself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Thanks for the replies. We have the fishing rights and have never been approached by a club. Dad was always relaxed about it but we are having problems with hunters and fishermen as detailed above. I can't be sure it is fishermen that cut the wire fair enough that's why I now want to be informed of anyone coming on to our land even a text is fine so we know who is there. This guy just kept walking up the river from a neighbours land. But others park in the gap and walk down. We honestly never minded ppl fishing but when wires are being damaged and people don't have the decency to ask permission it gets too much. We don't have deer here so doubt it's poachers-we would have better fields for rabbits then those ones. Also the bull we have now is cross enough so I wouldn't want anyone in the field with him and he is often in one of those fields. Had the same problem with guys hunting rabbits and TBH I got the same entitled attitude off them. I'm a women farming and I think that makes them a bit more disrespectful. I know nothing about fishing but I think this is the last straw and signs are going up. It is a pity as i know most people are fine but it's just the risk involved-the other issue is if we give verbal permission to some then our insurance can be liable which isn't great either....
    Thanks thou-he acted so entitled I was wondering if I was missing something lol!! Doubt he will be back anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Thanks for the replies. We have the fishing rights and have never been approached by a club. Dad was always relaxed about it but we are having problems with hunters and fishermen as detailed above. I can't be sure it is fishermen that cut the wire fair enough that's why I now want to be informed of anyone coming on to our land even a text is fine so we know who is there. This guy just kept walking up the river from a neighbours land. But others park in the gap and walk down. We honestly never minded ppl fishing but when wires are being damaged and people don't have the decency to ask permission it gets too much. We don't have deer here so doubt it's poachers-we would have better fields for rabbits then those ones. Also the bull we have now is cross enough so I wouldn't want anyone in the field with him and he is often in one of those fields. Had the same problem with guys hunting rabbits and TBH I got the same entitled attitude off them. I'm a women farming and I think that makes them a bit more disrespectful. I know nothing about fishing but I think this is the last straw and signs are going up. It is a pity as i know most people are fine but it's just the risk involved-the other issue is if we give verbal permission to some then our insurance can be liable which isn't great either....
    Thanks thou-he acted so entitled I was wondering if I was missing something lol!! Doubt he will be back anyway

My advice is put up the signs that it is 'private land' and 'beware of bull' at any access points to the river and 'private fishing' every chance available along the river bank.
    I've been fishing and hunting a long time and didn't always have permission when I was younger, one thing I was taught and always did, was to respect the land owner if approached and asked to leave.
    If there were no signs visible this was always my first defence.
    I often ended up getting permission from landowners after explaining I was only interested in a bit of sport and would gladly give them any fish or game if I was lucky enough to catch any.
    Nowadays I have plenty of fishing and hunting where I don't have to be looking over my shoulder but I also have my own insurance and an understanding of how difficult it is for landowners in these litigious times.
    Plaster the place with signs, either from the co op or homemade.
    Warnings of CCTV might help as a deterrent too.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭Mech1

Well Done, I Fish and I used to hunt (hopefully will again) but always ask / asked for permission and found everyone I met to be more than helpful.

If a local club calls into you after the signs are put up dont just allow them in straight away, tell them your annoyances and ask them to revisit the situation in a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

If you definitely own the fishing rights then you have the absolute right to refuse access. You can legitimately put up signs to this effect, and anyone entering the land is therefore trespassing.
    It might be of benefit to enter an arrangement with a local club. Firstly, they would probably pay you for access (if the fishing is good). Secondly they will control who fished there i.e. members only. Also it is in a club's interest to maintain good relations with landowners, so many clubs will maintain access by agreeing and installing stiles etc, which keeps your fences intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Hi zzippy.tbh I don't know how interested they would be-we had to put another wire up along the river for glas and it's made access a lot more difficult then it was as there is two wires to duck under. I don't know how good the fishing is-I see plenty jumping and there is a heron nesting so must be some anyway.i wouldn't want to charge as long as they regulated it and were insured we would be happy!! How would you find local clubs? I can always ask and see!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement