Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Sterling Bank notes

• 22-09-2017 8:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

I recently discovered two old English £50 notes which I put into an envelope around 11 years ago and left the envelope in an old suitcase, I remember I was to go back to the UK the following month but the trip never happened and I completely forget about it and it was six years later that I would next go to the UK again, the notes remained undisturbed for the next 11 years until this week I did a bit of a spring clear and threw the old suitcase out into a skip whilst we had it from the waste company.

Great+Britain+England+50+Pound+Note%252C+Queen+Elizabeth.jpg

Anyway these are the two notes in question and they were withdrawn in 2014. I might be going to England before Christmas and I wonder would a high street bank like HSBC etc. change them to a modern £50. I haven't tried any of the Irish banks here as I doubt they would. I may also be going to Northern Ireland and I wonder if I'd have any luck there? I know the Bank of England in London will change them indefinitely like how the Irish Central Bank will still change Irish Punts to Euro today. I have no plans to go to London anytime soon however.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

They won't change them in NI. Sure they won't even change coins unless you pay them into an account for money laundering reasons.

I think the BOE is the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭alan1963

Hi There is Bank of England agencies all over UK Newcastle ,Leeds Cardiff etc try google .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

alan1963 wrote: »
    Hi There is Bank of England agencies all over UK Newcastle ,Leeds Cardiff etc try google .

Can only be done in London http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/about/exchanges/publiccounter.aspx

”To exchange your banknotes in person please bring them to the following address:

Bank of England
    Threadneedle Street
    London, EC2R 8AH"

Or by post http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/about/exchanges/publicpost.aspx

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

As far as I'm aware, UK banks will still accept these notes as long as you lodge them into your own account in that bank so the next time you're in the UK, you could open a free account in a convenient bank branch and lodge the notes. Just make sure to have the necessary ID/documentation with you to open a bank account.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Quackster wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, UK banks will still accept these notes as long as you lodge them into your own account in that bank so the next time you're in the UK, you could open a free account in a convenient bank branch and lodge the notes. Just make sure to have the necessary ID/documentation with you to open a bank account.

That's quite useful thanks. I may be able to get a relative there to lodge them for me so into their UK account, but I don't think I'll go down the bother of opening an account, as it might risk Revenue with an offshore account and getting audited here after etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement