Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Boxing Super Series Thread

Options
  • 22-09-2017 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭

Burial. wrote: »
    Another tidy lineup of fights for the weekend. As well as the above, Zurdo Ramirez and Oscar Valdez are defending their belts in the States.

Most looking forward to Dorticos/Kudrya though. 42 wins between the two, 41 by KO. Dorticos is not your typical Cuban fighter although technically he's very sound. Big puncher though....his fight with Kalenga was outstanding, even more so when both lads had their gloves dipped in vinegar... Kudryashov probably has the most devastating power in all of Boxing, but he's pretty limited...but if anyone has a real puncher's chance it's him. Freakish power.

Where can I see the Dorticos/Kudryashov fight?

Who wins the Cruiser and Super Middleweight tournaments? 78 votes

Krzysztof Wlodarczyk
    0%
    Mike Perez
    1%
    anthonyjmaher 1 vote
    Yunier Dorticos
    3%
    marvsinsArrow in the KneeAlfred Borden 3 votes
    Murat Gassiev
    3%
    dinorebelAgent CoulsonBurial. 3 votes
    Mairis Briedis
    3%
    selectamaticthebull85gwalk 3 votes
    Oleksandr Usyk
    2%
    Boooournscolliemcc 2 votes
    Rob Brant
    33%
    Big EarsFTA69walshbliamoreillynacho librefunkey_monkeyciarriaithuaidhHigginsJJoe MusashiHenno30JFlahthegrowreportThe man in red and blackRezwoKMorrison JqwabercdDick phelanToo Tough To Diepac_manThe Mig 26 votes
    Juergen Braehmer
    0%
    George Groves
    1%
    soap1978 1 vote
    Avni Yildirim
    43%
    Big EarsgafarrellFTA69big darKing of Kingsnacho librefunkey_monkeyciarriaithuaidhGoose81iseethelightBoooournsricerodinorebelthegrowreportThe man in red and blackRezwoKcolliemccMorrison JDick phelanAlfred Borden 34 votes
    Jamie Cox
    0%
    Callum Smith
    0%
    Eubank Jr
    6%
    redarmyyourdeadwrightRossi IRLThe MigChrissybhoy 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Murat Gassiev
    Pretty sure this'll be available to stream on their site like Usyk/Huck was. You'd imagine some kind soul from Russia will throw up a YT stream too. "Oi oi oi oi oi *insert some Russian* knockoutttt"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

pac_man wrote: »
    ITV Box Office (Sky Channel 493). That's just the name of the channel, the fight itself will obviously be free.

That's a HD channel and I don't have any HD channel. Is there an ordinary version available?

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Rob Brant
    ITV box office is only HD. No SD available.

Murat Gassiev

Full fight for anyone who didn't catch it.
    Impressive enough from Dorticos. Beautiful shot to end it. I laughably picked him to win this out at the start but if he catches lads with the sort of punches he can throw he has every chance of beating Uysk/Gassiev/Briedis. Well able to box too. Not sure what Kudryashov does now... A fight with Kalenga would be fun. Although I think a move to HW wouldn't be a bad shout. Cruiserweight is packed with absolute freaks with ridiculous boxing ability as well as power...Usyk, Gassiev, Briedis, Dorticos, Lebedev all technically very good. Kudryashov does have ridiculous power but at Heavy he might have more joy against less technical guys. He missed weight by a little but you'd imagine it was a tough cut and he looks huge.

Rob Brant
    Very enjoyable 5 minute fight... natural power in those Cuban hands..

This tournament is great for boxing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Avni Yildirim
    Very impressive from Dorticos, I hadn't seen him before. He just completely disrespected Kudryahov's power and walked through him.

Murat Gassiev
    Very impressive from Dorticos, I hadn't seen him before. He just completely disrespected Kudryahov's power and walked through him.

Highly recommend his fight with Kalenga. Terrific fight.

Murat Gassiev
    Picked Dorticos and Eubank for the laugh on the other thread but sure why not I'll stick with it. Usyk did look better than I've ever seen him against Huck though and is obviously favourite. 168 is a toss up although I'd be quietly confident of Eubank winning out through sheer volume punching.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Mairis Briedis
    Was surprised myself when I seen Eubank getting votes I assumed I'd be in the minority in picking him.
    A combination of his seemingly relentless stamina, ability to string large volumes of fairly accurate shots together when he wants and his chin are the positives in my book.

Showboating, being lazy in rounds and or his ability to take a punch failing against better harder hitting opposition could be his downfall.

For the cruisers I went with Gassiev for the hell of it. Usyk is a clear fav but a number of them could steal this tournament from him especially if he gets complacent and or takes the wrong opponent for granted. Can't see him doing either truth be told but I'd still love to see Murat do well.

The cruiserweight division really is phenomenal at the moment it's no wonder Tony Bellew high tailed it outta there.

Edit: nail on the head pacman about the shambles of a broadcasting strategy in place at the moment it's the only thing really holding back this whole series from garnering the attention it truly deserves.

Rob Brant
    Gassiev I hope wins it, but likely that boring powder puff Usyk pecks and pokes his way to a sh1tty tournament victory...

Eubank I think has the beating of a running on fumes Groves and way overrated Smith.

• Advertisement

Murat Gassiev
    Usyk boring? Ah heeeeyor.

Win or lose I think Gassiev will move to Heavy. Looks absolutely huge for Cruiser as is and he's only 23!

Rob Brant
    Burial. wrote: »
    Usyk boring? Ah heeeeyor.

Win or lose I think Gassiev will move to Heavy. Looks absolutely huge for Cruiser as is and he's only 23!

He is boring. That southpaw amateur punching style. Its delivery. Its everything.

And before you jump in, I am not talking about his level of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Avni Yildirim
    Dorticos and Groves for me

Rob Brant
    It doesn't really say much for the SMW quality that Eubank, a blown up MW who has yet to really do anything of note is the favorite. I have picked him...

Rob Brant

The cruiserweight division really is phenomenal at the moment it's no wonder Tony Bellew high tailed it outta there.

I am not Tony's biggest fan but I think the guy has balls and is not all that bothered who he faces.....

After all he did meet Haye, a man expected to do him real damage. Sure, the money was good, but Haye at the time was probably considered more dangerous than Tony staying at CW and fighting the best there.

I don't think he hightailed it out for reasons you do.

I would have loved to see Bellew in this tournament. Would have made for exciting bomber type fights.

Mairis Briedis
    walshb wrote: »
    I am not Tony's biggest fan but I think the guy has balls and is not all that bothered who he faces.....

After all he did meet Haye, a man expected to do him real damage. Sure, the money was good, but Haye at the time was probably considered more dangerous than Tony staying at CW and fighting the best there.

I don't think he hightailed it out for reasons you do.

I would have loved to see Bellew in this tournament. Would have made for exciting bomber type fights.

Jaysus I dunno Walsh for sure I'm being too harsh on Tony and tbh it's kinda tongue in cheek but him fighting a well past it David Haye isn't anywhere near as tough as him fighting some of these cw's. Id fancy a few of them to give him a right beating culminating in a stoppage. A lebedev fight is also one I'd have loved to have seen, that'd have been good viewing.

Money and a calculated risk assessment saw him make the move in my mind, especially since his prospective foe was an aging hw who is far from big going by today's standards. So it wasn't a huge step up; kinda like the point you made about ward vs kovalev but obviously not the same, similar nonetheless.

Rob Brant
    Jaysus I dunno Walsh for sure I'm being too harsh on Tony and tbh it's kinda tongue in cheek but him fighting a well past it David Haye isn't anywhere near as tough as him fighting some of these cw's. Id fancy a few of them to give him a right beating culminating in a stoppage. A lebedev fight is also one I'd have loved to have seen, that'd have been good viewing.

Money and a calculated risk assessment saw him make the move in my mind, especially since his prospective foe was an aging hw who is far from big going by today's standards. So it wasn't a huge step up; kinda like the point you made about ward vs kovalev but obviously not the same, similar nonetheless.

Well, at HW I don't think Haye was well past it when facing Tony, a LHW moving up to CW and HW.

Past it if facing a real elite HW, but coming back to face Bellew, I think we mostly predicted a clear KO win for Haye.

Go back in time to before the fight and I reckon the majority pick Tony to beat the CWs as opposed to beating Haye. Against Haye folks were thinking that his punches would not have been as effective.

They gave Tony very little chance vs. Haye. They would surely have given him more chance to beat the smaller CWs...

It was a pure money, certainty. As regards danger, then I would have to say that Haye, at the time, was the more dangerous option. Bellew is not fearful of the CWs, at least not as much at the time he was about to face Haye. I reckon he feared Haye more.

Mairis Briedis
    I suppose I'm not sure how I felt about it really. I know I thought Haye would win via stoppage but I wasnt massively confident. Then when I seen him swinging inaccurately and wildly early on in the fight I was even less confident but still felt he'd land something to win. And then the injury happened. So we'll never know.

I'm still sceptical all the same when it comes to bellew. But I do get get where you're coming from.

This isnt really the thread for it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

I think Groves stops Eubank early enough . By the 5th anyway . Eubank didnt have the power at MW and obviously wont have it at SMW. Hes a knockout waiting to happen and Groves carries power in both hands.

Rob Brant
    I think Groves stops Eubank early enough . By the 5th anyway . Eubank didnt have the power at MW and obviously wont have it at SMW. Hes a knockout waiting to happen and Groves carries power in both hands.

That is an interesting angle. I think folks may be banking on Eubank's sturdiness, chin and stamina/conditioning. But, maybe we are overrating the chin and its ability to take heavy shots at SMW.

If he can make this a close inside fight, roughing GG up and not giving him space then Eubank for me is favorite. The issue being getting in and maybe getting whacked hard to get in...

Eubank is not a huge hitter, but he can hit enough to get GGs attention.

• Advertisement

That is an interesting angle. I think folks may be banking on Eubank's sturdiness, chin and stamina/conditioning. But, maybe we are overrating the chin and its ability to take heavy shots at SMW.

If he can make this a close inside fight, roughing GG up and not giving him space then Eubank for me is favorite. The issue being getting in and maybe getting whacked hard to get in...

Eubank is not a huge hitter, but he can hit enough to get GGs attention.

Oh i agree his output is insane . However he is easy to hit and i think that'll be his undoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Rob Brant
    I went with Usyk & Eubank Jr.. Usyk for me is one of the best fighters on the planet right now, he should be talked about more in the P4P lists & once he clears out the division he is talking about moving up to HW.

Eubank Jr. is a default choice in some ways, I'd find it impossible to trust either Groves or Smith at this point, although Smith should cruise to the final. The Turk will be no walkover for Eubank but he should get through. I fear George Groves has been to the well a few too many times at this point, think Eubank outlasts him for a 2-3 round points victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Avni Yildirim
    I can't get my head around Groves not being a clear favourite for this. Best pedigree by an absolute mile.

Then again, I remember his odds to beat Martin Murray being close and loads saying that was a 50/50 fight. Always gets underrated does Groves.

I reckon when the first round fights are over he might be favourite. He's going to annihilate Jamie Cox.

Rob Brant
    Morrison J wrote: »
    I can't get my head around Groves not being a clear favourite for this. Best pedigree by an absolute mile.

Then again, I remember his odds to beat Martin Murray being close and loads saying that was a 50/50 fight. Always gets underrated does Groves.

I reckon when the first round fights are over he might be favourite. He's going to annihilate Jamie Cox.

I think Eubank's style may match up well against Groves, causing a lot of discomfort for Groves.

Please don't do a GGG-Canelo buzz on this. Ramming it home how Groves can't lose, clearly wins, and then making excuses should it be very close/competitive, or god forbid, Eubank wins.:P

Avni Yildirim
    I think Eubank's style may match up well against Groves, causing a lot of discomfort for Groves.

Please don't do a GGG-Canelo buzz on this. Ramming it home how Groves can't lose, clearly wins, and then making excuses should it be very close/competitive, or god forbid, Eubank wins.:P
    Could make it difficult for him down the stretch I reckon but wouldn't concern me enough to pick him. Eubank has no power at the weight.

The same people who seem to think Billy Joe Saunders is the most limited boxer going are the same people picking Eubank to win this tournament. Has Eubank improved that much over the past two years?

Nah, when I have a strong opinion on a fight I'm going to say it. Been done to death at this stage but just because I got the method of victory wrong in one fight (got the actual winner right) doesn't mean I'm going to lay off giving any opinions.

Rob Brant
    Could make it difficult for him down the stretch I reckon but wouldn't concern me enough to pick him. Eubank has no power at the weight.

The same people who seem to think Billy Joe Saunders is the most limited boxer going are the same people picking Eubank to win this tournament. Has Eubank improved that much over the past two years?

Nah, when I have a strong opinion on a fight I'm going to say it. Been done to death at this stage but just because I got the method of victory wrong in one fight (got the actual winner right) doesn't mean I'm going to lay off giving any opinions.

A KO win or clear GG victory would not at all surprise me...

I will be rooting for Eubank.

Avni Yildirim
    A KO win or clear GG victory would not at all surprise me...

I will be rooting for Eubank.

How do you see Eubank winning though? Stoppage or points?

Rob Brant
    How do you see Eubank winning though? Stoppage or points?

I see him winning a kind of war of attrition. I think he has a better inside game, and I think he makes it that. GG could keep this at long to mid range, but I reckon Junior closes distance and keeps this mid to close range for large spells. We could see a very jaded GG come rds 9-12. Close on points or late stoppage. Eubank will need to time GGs jab. Punch with it or counter it with timing. If he can take away GGs jab he wins this.

I see him winning a kind of war of attrition. I think he has a better inside game, and I think he makes it that. GG could keep this at long to mid range, but I reckon Junior closes distance and keeps this mid to close range for large spells. We could see a very jaded GG come rds 9-12. Close on points or late stoppage. Eubank will need to time GGs jab. Punch with it or counter it with timing. If he can take away GGs jab he wins this.

He has struggled to get rid of domestic level boxers at a lower weight class so i just cant see it . I understand your logic though . Its a fight im really looking forward to cant wait for it to happen

• Advertisement

Rob Brant
    He has struggled to get rid of domestic level boxers at a lower weight class so i just cant see it . I understand your logic though . Its a fight im really looking forward to cant wait for it to happen

I think it will be a belter. And there's something I like about Junior as a person-boxer. A swagger, but a likable swagger. Plus he is very articulate, and not always in a douche bag way!

Advertisement