Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Boxing Super Series Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Avni Yildirim
    walshb wrote:
    I see him winning a kind of war of attrition. I think he has a better inside game, and I think he makes it that. GG could keep this at long to mid range, but I reckon Junior closes distance and keeps this mid to close range for large spells. We could see a very jaded GG come rds 9-12. Close on points or late stoppage. Eubank will need to time GGs jab. Punch with it or counter it with timing. If he can take away GGs jab he wins this.

So you're picking Eubank close on points or via stoppage but wouldn't be surprised if Groves won handy or via KO?

All your bases covered there at least.

I agree with the majority of that breakdown. Just think Eubank got dominated by Saunders jab in their fight until he tired and Groves' jab is far better and rangier than Saunders. Going to give Eubank fits imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Rob Brant
    Morrison J wrote: »
    So you're picking Eubank close on points or via stoppage but wouldn't be surprised if Groves won handy or via KO?

All your bases covered there at least.

I agree with the majority of that breakdown. Just think Eubank got dominated by Saunders jab in their fight until he tired and Groves' jab is far better and rangier than Saunders. Going to give Eubank fits imo.

Yes, covering all bases because Eubank isn't great. I just have a hunch that what he has matches up well vs. Groves .

Groves doing a number on him via points or KO is just as likely..

These two really do present several plausible results...

I will call it Eubank KO 12..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

Rob Brant
    Not impressed by Callum Smith at all. Picking Eubank in SMW tournament. Usyk will win the cruiserweight one I think. Should be some good fights ahead to look forward to. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

pac_man wrote: »
    Mike Perez @7/2. Obviously has alot of questions to need to be answered but the talent is there. Really intrigued by this fight.

I suppose it's value if you believe in his talent, but I would find it hard to justify forking out any decent amount on him. I just don't trust that Cuban temperment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Murat Gassiev
    Aside from him moving down and not really sure how it'll affect him, my biggest issue is that he has fought two rounds in over 2 and a half years of Boxing. One round in that CW tune up a while back and one against a roided up Povetkin who battered him while Perez was apparently drunk in the fight. Big question marks tbh....and he's fighting a bit of a monster in Briedis...but far worse upsets have definitely happened and there's no doubting his boxing ability.

• Advertisement

Avni Yildirim
    walshb wrote: »
    Yes, covering all bases because Eubank isn't great. I just have a hunch that what he has matches up well vs. Groves .

Groves doing a number on him via points or KO is just as likely..

These two really do present several plausible results...

I will call it Eubank KO 12..

I actually think Yildirim would be a worse style matchup for Groves. Steel chin, decent power, relentless pressure and stamina to go for days. Nightmare opponent for Groves. I definitely think Eubank has a lot of success late against Groves if it goes that long but not convincved Eubank has the power to stop him.

Really looking forward to Eubank - Yildirim this weekend. Think if Eubank fights smart and uses his legs he should get through it fine but Yildirim is no mug from what I've seen.

Rob Brant
    I actually think Yildirim would be a worse style matchup for Groves. Steel chin, decent power, relentless pressure and stamina to go for days. Nightmare opponent for Groves. I definitely think Eubank has a lot of success late against Groves if it goes that long but not convincved Eubank has the power to stop him.

Really looking forward to Eubank - Yildirim this weekend. Think if Eubank fights smart and uses his legs he should get through it fine but Yildirim is no mug from what I've seen.

I have only seen highlights of Yildrim, and I agree with your take. He's really solid. Bit slow and predictable, but will keep coming, so you better be hurting him somewhat. Could have a belter with him an Junior.

What channel is the Eubank fight on this weekend?

Murat Gassiev
    Surely ITV Box Office considering he's their PPV star :pac:

Burial. wrote: »
    Surely ITV Box Office considering he's their PPV star :pac:

I don't have that channel. Is it true that the website is blocked in this part of the world?

• Advertisement

Murat Gassiev
    megadodge wrote: »
    I don't have that channel. Is it true that the website is blocked in this part of the world?

Think it was the other night. Likely YT will have a stream, probably in a different language but sometimes that's a blessing in disguise. If all came to all you can find VPN extensions on Chrome for free that'll VPN to England or the States or even France where the website stream should work for.

Rob Brant
    I believe Eubank fight is PPV as opposed to free. No way I’m paying. It’s ITV BO channel 493 Sky.

All the broadcasting for the super six available on their website or ITV BO website.

I’ll probably miss a very good fight..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr.Ed

Any one order the Eubank fight on the ITV Box Office Site?
    Tried to order the stream of it but when I got to pay it requires a post code and won't accept it blank if you put in an English postcode it rejects it as it doesn't match the billing address?? Pretty ****ty setup if you can't order the stream because of that!

Rob Brant
    Mr.Ed wrote: »
    Any one order the Eubank fight on the ITV Box Office Site?
    Tried to order the stream of it but when I got to pay it requires a post code and won't accept it blank if you put in an English postcode it rejects it as it doesn't match the billing address?? Pretty ****ty setup if you can't order the stream because of that!

I was on the site earlier. Too much poxy messages no around to get it. I chose Sky viewing method and done rrror popped up about region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr.Ed

walshb wrote: »
    I was on the site earlier. Too much poxy messages no around to get it. I chose Sky viewing method and done rrror popped up about region.

Couldn't get around the payment thing ended up streaming it

Good win for Eubank might have been better if he got a few more rounds in but a good KO for him sets up an interesting fight with Groves most likely

Avni Yildirim
    Might be wrong but I can't see any way a heavyweight version would work. Not enough of them active firstly but also far too much money in each individual heavyweight fight for promotors to give up some control.

What incentive does Hearn have in putting Joshua into a heavyweight tournament on someone elses terms when he can fight Takam and sell 90k tickets and prob 800k PPV's.

Best division for one at the moment is 126 imo. Frampton, Santa Cruz, Russell Jr, Selby, Mares, Valdez, Quigg and Jojo Diaz. Would be amazing.

Avni Yildirim
    pac_man wrote: »
    It depends on what agreements are made but apparently there will be big money involved in this tournament for the heavyweights and probably more than what Joshua was currently earns for a fight.

Joshua making 20m for this fight against Takam apparently. If they have money to beat that then it's a different story altogether I agree. Fact there's 25m worth of total prize money in each of the two tournaments so far would make that hard to foresee but.

Hopefully it happens. Exactly the kind of shake up the heavyweight division needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Might be wrong but I can't see any way a heavyweight version would work. Not enough of them active firstly but also far too much money in each individual heavyweight fight for promotors to give up some control.

What incentive does Hearn have in putting Joshua into a heavyweight tournament on someone elses terms when he can fight Takam and sell 90k tickets and prob 800k PPV's.

Best division for one at the moment is 126 imo. Frampton, Santa Cruz, Russell Jr, Selby, Mares, Valdez, Quigg and Jojo Diaz. Would be amazing.

I'd love to see it at 115 or 175.

115 is already doing it pretty much but need to get Ancajas and Yafai in with Inoue, Rungvisia, Cuadras and Estrada.

At 175, with Ward's retirement, you've got a whole host of free belts here, and some excellent fighters. Could have Stevenson, Kovalev, Barrera, Jack, Alvarez, Gvodzyk, Beterbiev and Bivol.

140 would be ripe for it too if Crawford moves up as all the belts become available.

Avni Yildirim
    titan18 wrote: »
    I'd love to see it at 115 or 175.

115 is already doing it pretty much but need to get Ancajas and Yafai in with Inoue, Rungvisia, Cuadras and Estrada.

At 175, with Ward's retirement, you've got a whole host of free belts here, and some excellent fighters. Could have Stevenson, Kovalev, Barrera, Jack, Alvarez, Gvodzyk, Beterbiev and Bivol.

140 would be ripe for it too if Crawford moves up as all the belts become available.

Aye and with Crawford moving up one at 147 would be tasty. Crawford, Thurman, Spence, Garcia, Porter, Brook, Khan, Pacquiao. Another "money" division where I doubt it's feasible though unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Rob Brant
    The Garcia/Spence/Thurman/Crawford mix is the pick of the bunch for me.

Throw in Manny and Porter to make it 6...

Rob Brant
    Gassiev - Wlod on later. Should be a lot of action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Avni Yildirim
    Gassiev was clinical last night. Beautiful combination to finish it.
    The Semi Final against Dorticus is going to be special.

Rob Brant
    Gassiev was clinical last night. Beautiful combination to finish it.
    The Semi Final against Dorticus is going to be special.

I haven’t seen a more relaxed and nonchalant win at elite level. Wlod had 0 to offer.

Rob Brant
    Gassiev - Wlod on later. Should be a lot of action.

😞

Murat Gassiev
    Props to Gassiev, didn't think he'd win so quickly. But Wlod is beyond past it and had no business of being in the comp over the likes of Glowacki. He was never the same after the Drozd fight. Dorticos/Gassiev could result in a nuclear reaction in the middle of the ring.

Murat Gassiev
    Pretty sure Gassiev has been training with Sanchez so yeah similar enough.

What's scary to me is that he's only 24 yet he's so composed and pretty polished while being monstrously big for the weight. Kind of hope himself, Usyk and Briedis move up to Heavy and f*ck sh*t up straight after this tourney is over.

Rob Brant
    That brutal body shot made up for the relative lack of action/ short night. I read that Gassiev only had like 25 amateur fights, which makes his rise all the more impressive. Sulecki vs. Culcay on the undercard was supposed to be a good fight. Have not seen it yet myself.

I love this Cruiserweight series and I hope we see more single elimination tournaments like this in the future. Shame they could no get a good US TV deal but the action in the ring has delivered for the most part.

Murat Gassiev
    Yeah I've it 3 zip Braehmer. He's boxing well. Interesting to see can he maintain this

• Advertisement

Avni Yildirim
    Brant very very basic.

Advertisement