Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Boxing Super Series Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Rob Brant
    Naz...stfu...

AJ is 6 feet 6 and 250 lbs...

He can box and he can punch. He murders Usyk...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm not sure he competes at the top end of HW but he definitely gives them a challenge. We'd have to see what his chin is like to know can he win there.

He called out Bellew anyway so hopefully Bellew takes that bait and we get Usyk in the UK. Otherwise, it's slim pickings and he can't hold all those belts at CW anyway. Too many mandatories there to hold them all long term. I'm guessing we have Briedis, Lebedev, Vlasov and Tabiti as mandatories atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Usyk f*cked up Joe Joyce a few years ago, a lad roughly the same size as Joshua. It's not like he's a small guy, as I said is he much smaller than the likes of Povetkin or Parker? Not much if at all. It's not like it's Andre Ward talking about going to HW. Usyk is a tall lad with a good frame to put on more weight.

Usyk has the right idea by eating "extra spaghetti" but could anyone honestly say Povetkin is a tougher fight for Joshua than Usyk? Usyk is a game lad, his legacy is set in stone as probably the best CW of all time and he has his P4P status, Ali Trophy and his Gold medal from way back. He can really take risks now and see how far he can push himself. A fight with Bellew would be a great first step as he'll batter seven shades of ****e out of him and launch his name out there.

Rob Brant
    Usyk f*cked up Joe Joyce a few years ago, a lad roughly the same size as Joshua.

But it’s not just size...

Joyce is pretty average. Below if you ask me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Avni Yildirim
    Is Joshua a bigger one shot puncher than Gassiev? Possibly not.

• Advertisement

Rob Brant
    Morrison J wrote: »

This is getting absurd now...

Joshua outweighs Gassiev by 50 lbs..

You reckon Gassiev hits as hard if not harder?

And in case you didn’t notice, Gassiev landed eff all tonight..

The best shots were not real hard and clean...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

I hadn't watched Usyk before, I had only seen clips but the comparisons to Lomachenko are valid.

While no real venom in his shots he did follow up that consistent jab with some nice uppercuts. I also notice he didn't really go to the body at all, purely head hunting. Probably a wise move to deter Gassiev and keep away from big hooks to the head when on the inside. A textbook boxer v puncher match up with that southpaw style just making it that little bit harder again for the opponent.

I thought after a round or two Gassiev looked like he was out of ideas already, a look I have seen before with a lot of Lomachenko opponents, so again a valid comparison. His work-rate and ability to pivot off really seemed to take the heart out of Gassiev, any time he did land a decent punch of note there was zero follow up.

Usyk's footwork and angles are lovely for a big guy, he was doing a strange flicking/kicking out of the foot in this, is that a trait of his or was something bothering him?

I think he could do a number on some of the B-level Heavyweights, but anyone with decent power shouldn't be deterred by those shots and might rough him up. If he wants to go for it though, fair play to him. That's where the money is. I would tune in for curiosity, he should be aiming for Bellew or Andre Ward if he is indeed coming back. No business with the AJ's and the Wilders of this world I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

Yes he is.

And he's a much better boxer.

Gassiev's limitations were mentioned on here the night he beat Dorticos and a number of posters (including me) suggested he would be easily beaten by Usyk. He was, because he's nothing special as a boxer. Good puncher and good chin.

Gassiev's KO rate speaks for itself, good but not great. Felt he started to believe the hype about his power. There's a much better boxer in there than he showed tonight. He just seemed to look for the huge punch all night. He should have approached the fight like he did vs Lebedev. Joshua definitely hits harder. Saying that Joshua's power is very overrated and Usyk has taken some big punches from big men and hasn't backed away.

walshb wrote: »
    But it’s not just size...

Joyce is pretty average. Below if you ask me...

Indeed he is but Usyk certainly wouldn't be out of place against big guys like Wilder, Fury and Joshua. I think Wilder is his toughest fight of the 3 personally due to how long he is and how wild he is as well as having the best power of the three.

• Advertisement

Rob Brant
    Has anyone thought what 15/20/25 lbs “may” do to Usyk’s feet and movement and overall speed? Chance it could slow him, make him less effective as regards speed and movement, two of his essential needed ingredients to possibly out-box all these HWs?

Avni Yildirim
    This is getting absurd now...

Joshua outweighs Gassiev by 50 lbs..

You reckon Gassiev hits as hard if not harder?

And in case you didn’t notice, Gassiev landed eff all tonight..

The best shots were not real hard and clean...

I see Gassiev is a bit of a freak puncher so maybe. He's certainly got the highlight reel KO's that Joshua doesn't albeit at a lower weight. Those body shots would hurt heavyweights too though. I don't believe Joshua is a big puncher. Average power at the weight, Gassiev is a supreme puncher at cruiser.

Has anyone thought what 15/20/25 lbs “may” do to Usyk’s feet and movement and overall speed? Chance it could slow him, make him less effective as regards speed and movement, two of his essential needed ingredients to possibly out-box all these HWs?

Usyk would only require a fraction of that speed, stamina and movement at HW. HWs move terribly and the pace of the fights are brutal. It'll obviously be a negative to him but nothing substantial I'd imagine.

Avni Yildirim

Have you seen how slow AJ's feet are?

Rob Brant
    I see Gassiev is a bit of a freak puncher so maybe. He's certainly got the highlight reel KO's that Joshua doesn't albeit at a lower weight. Those body shots would hurt heavyweights too though. I don't believe Joshua is a big puncher. Average power at the weight, Gassiev is a supreme puncher at cruiser.

Two things..

Overrating Gassiev’s power and underrating Joshua’s

Anyway, 50 lbs is 50lbs. I know weight doesn’t always mean heavier power, but in this case it plays a good part.

Rob Brant
    Have you seen how slow AJ's feet are?

I asked about Usyk...

I see the angle you are taking, but AJ is big enough and strong enough and heavy handed enough to get to Usyk fairly handily. 3 rds tops I give Usyk..

Usyk will be in AJs range...if not it’s because he’s just running..

I'm not sure Usyk beats Joshua or Wilder (neither of which I rate that highly anyway) as the size difference will be huge but still reckon he could possibly take a title at HW I'd he avoids those 2.

I'd think of Holyfield moving to HW and fighting Bowe and Lewis who were better than Wilder and Joshua, so I think Usyk can possibly do it.

We'd have to see how his chin is as it hasn't really been tested yet. He also needs to outpoint all these guys as he isn't knocking them out. Some big drawbacks there but he might be one of the biggest challenges out there if he did move up.

Also, assuming he moved up and beat someone like Parker or Bellew (who'd be a good stepping stone fight) handidly, does Joshua touch him as he's not a giant draw financially considering the potential risk if he did look as great still.

Avni Yildirim
    I asked about Usyk...

I see the angle you are taking, but AJ is big enough and strong enough and heavy handed enough to get to Usyk fairly handily. 3 rds tips I give Usyk..

Usyk will be in AJs range...if not it’s because he’s just running..

I think Usyk has the footwork and the stamina to survive early and take Joshua into deep water. He'll also have the power to hurt AJ if AJ decided to go gun-ho coming in.

If Usyk is such a non puncher then why didn't Gassiev just bite down on his mouthpiece tonight and go for broke late on? He knew he'd prob get hurt/knocked out.

It's a good fight that could go either way for me. Usyk has plenty of advantages, as does AJ.

Rob Brant
    titan18 wrote: »
    I'm not sure Usyk beats Joshua or Wilder (neither of which I rate that highly anyway) as the size difference will be huge but still reckon he could possibly take a title at HW I'd he avoids those 2.

I'd think of Holyfield moving to HW and fighting Bowe and Lewis who were better than Wilder and Joshua, so I think Usyk can possibly do it.

We'd have to see how his chin is as it hasn't really been tested yet. He also needs to outpoint all these guys as he isn't knocking them out. Some big drawbacks there but he might be one of the biggest challenges out there if he did move up.

Also, assuming he moved up and beat someone like Parker or Bellew (who'd be a good stepping stone fight) handidly, does Joshua touch him as he's not a giant draw financially considering the potential risk if he did look as great still.

Holyfield was one of the greatest boxer/punchers that ever lived..not saying you are comparing them.

I like Usyk, but not near the greatness of Holyfield, who also completed in a far deadlier HW era...

Hell, he was practically a CW for Bowe 1...that was one of his greatest ever displays against a prime Bowe, who was excellent.

Gassiev lasts 3 rds tops against a 200 lbs Holyfield...

walshb wrote:
    I like Usyk, but not near the greatness of Holyfield, who also completed in a far deadlier HW era...

Oh, I'd agree. I wouldn't rank Usyk as anywhere near him. However, I also don't rank Joshua or Wilder as anywhere close to Bowe or Lewis (Tyson too but he's not as big physically anyway). Uysk is probably closer to Holyfield imo than Joshua is to Lewis or Wilder is to Bowe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Avni Yildirim
    Given how dominant Usyk was against Gassiev, if he truly had the power to knock out heavyweights like Joshua, you would expect him to have knocked Gassiev out. No way does Gassiev punch as hard as Wilder or Joshua

If Joshua's hits him clean once or twice the fights over- as good as Usyk maybe, Joshua is certainly good enough to catch him a few times in the fight.

Avni Yildirim
    Given how dominant Usyk was against Gassiev, if he truly had the power to knock out heavyweights like Joshua, you would expect him to have knocked Gassiev out. No way does Gassiev punch as hard as Wilder or Joshua
    Where's the logic there though? Gassiev fought within himself so not to get knocked out. Usyk was winning every round easy behind the jab so had zero need to look for the KO. Means very little that Usyk didn't stop him. If Gassiev didn't respect Usyk's power and walked through him I'd get it but he obviously felt Usyk's punches. Never seen Gassiev so gun shy.

Rob Brant
    pac_man wrote: »
    Not sure anyone up watching Liam Smith, he's boxing very well and I think he's winning this. I have him 3 up.

Watching Liam Smith is painful I find...

Maybe this one won’t hurt as bad. Will give it a go later...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

Lads does anyone know what the probable date and venue for Burnett v Donaire is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Avni Yildirim
    bono_v wrote: »
    Lads does anyone know what the probable date and venue for Burnett v Donaire is?

Heard it will more than likely be in Belfast, unsure of the date though

Rob Brant
    Usyk-Bellew is a real intriguing prospect.

I'd expect Usyk to win on points, but Bellew can hit hard, and has balls. Has little fear in the ring, a trait I admire. He is also defensively sound when he tries to be. Not that easy for Usyk to just pitter patter his way to a points win without tasting some real return fire. He did not taste any real fire from Gassiev. Glancing type power blows every so often.

If Usyk's chin is sturdy, then I expect a points win all night long. But you can be sure Tony will at least try to get Usyk ouha' there with a committed offence, unlike Gassiev, who was slow, lethargic and just plodding along.

Usyk's movement is solid, but he can be found and he can be hit, and I really don't think he has the power to KO Bellew, or really bother him. So, it's a points win or a Bellew KO. I'd lean with Usyk on points.

Bellew also doesn't fight so rigidly and compact and stationary like Gassiev, so that pitter patter combination stuff won't be as easy for Usyk to land with. Bellew moves, offers upper body movement and angles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Avni Yildirim
    I think Usyk would tire Bellew out and stop him in the mid to late rounds, especially if Bellew ‘goes for it’. Bellew just doesn’t have the gas tank to keep up with Usyk. If he really wants to win he’d have to go for it early.

By the way Gassiev did catch Usyk with a real zinger of a hook. i think it was at the end if the third round? He took it well enough. He is also used to taking hits from super heavies in the WBSS.

This is a very easy night’s work for Usyk IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Usyk-Bellew is a real intriguing prospect.

I'd expect Usyk to win on points, but Bellew can hit hard, and has balls. Has little fear in the ring, a trait I admire. He is also defensively sound when he tries to be. Not that easy for Usyk to just pitter patter his way to a points win without tasting some real return fire. He did not taste any real fire from Gassiev. Glancing type power blows every so often.

If Usyk's chin is sturdy, then I expect a points win all night long. But you can be sure Tony will at least try to get Usyk ouha' there with a committed offence, unlike Gassiev, who was slow, lethargic and just plodding along.

Usyk's movement is solid, but he can be found and he can be hit, and I really don't think he has the power to KO Bellew, or really bother him. So, it's a points win or a Bellew KO. I'd lean with Usyk on points.

Bellew also doesn't fight so rigidly and compact and stationary like Gassiev, so that pitter patter combination stuff won't be as easy for Usyk to land with. Bellew moves, offers upper body movement and angles.

Bellew would be nothing more than a punching bag for Usyk in my opinion.
    If Gassiev didn't put a dent in him Bellew hasn't a prayer.

Rob Brant
    blade1 wrote: »
    Bellew would be nothing more than a punching bag for Usyk in my opinion.
    If Gassiev didn't put a dent in him Bellew hasn't a prayer.

But Gassiev didn't land anything really meaty, and nor did he even push the boat out trying. Had he landed good heavy artillery I could get behind that a bit more.

Anyway, Bellew is a different puncher. He is more a heavy handed KO hitter. And hits with real spite. Different delivery, and more kind of wow about his delivery and impact.

I actually think the Gassiev fight has very little relevance here, as it was too one sided. Both due to Usyk being good and Gassiev being very, meh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

But Gassiev didn't land anything really meaty, and nor did he even push the boat out trying. Had he landed good heavy artillery I could get behind that a bit more.

Anyway, Bellew is a different puncher. He is more a heavy handed KO hitter. And hits with real spite. Different delivery, and more kind of wow about his delivery and impact.

I actually think the Gassiev fight has very little relevance here, as it was too one sided. Both due to Usyk being good and Gassiev being very, meh!
    Ok,I'm only mostly an armchair fan and you're an expert so we'll see who knows best!!!:pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement