Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Boxing Super Series Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd have Usyk as the favourite, but it's not a given. I thought his body work was very impressive tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

Gassiev is a more polished fighter than Golovkin in my opinion. The final has fight of the decade potential. Gassiev is going to cause havoc at HW win or lose. He's a machine and he's only 24!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Avni Yildirim
    Henno30 wrote: »
    It was a great performance but I think Usyk is much better than Dorticos in every way.

Gassiev is also much better than Briedis imo. Works both ways!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Mairis Briedis
    Morrison J wrote: »
    Dunno what Gassiev has to do to impress people to be honest. That was perfect. How does Usyk beat him so easy? I'd prob make him favourite but it's a brilliant fight.

Agree with this, the easy comments are way ott. That was a great display from Gassiev. I'd have the final as being a very close affair especially after last weeks performance from Usyk. Don't get me wrong it was a good showing but it certainly showed he's human and hittable especially through the guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Rob Brant
    Urindanger wrote: »
    Gassiev is a more polished fighter than Golovkin in my opinion. The final has fight of the decade potential. Gassiev is going to cause havoc at HW win or lose. He's a machine and he's only 24!!

Certainly a lot more precise than the Golovkin we see these days. He was stringing beautiful shots together all night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Avni Yildirim
    Great fight, Dorticos showed a great chin and fitness but just could't land the big right and eventually ran out of energy.
    Iron is a great nickname for Gassiev as that sums him up well.

All that said, I can't see anything other than a Usyk pys win in the final

Avni Yildirim
    That's pretty much exactly how GGG needs to fight Canelo in May. Concentrate on the body shots to slow him down before taking him out late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

Certainly a lot more precise than the Golovkin we see these days. He was stringing beautiful shots together all night.

Almost fights like a hybrid of Golovkin and Canelo. I love how he's so respectful as well. Smiling and nodding to the opponent after each round and at one point even let out a Ric Flair "Wooooo". Abel Sanchez has a right nugget in his hands.

Rob Brant
    Seems to have a very good temperament as well. Stayed very disciplined and stuck to the gameplan all night. Can't remember him being caught out of position at any point.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Avni Yildirim
    The fight panned out as i thought it would. Gassiev doing the better work overall, and Dorticos not landing many clean punches through out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Rob Brant
    Urindanger wrote: »

In relation to HW.

I am not really seeing this. The fight last night was nip and tuck for many rds. Dorticos did the exact same thing on offense the whole night.. only towards the end did Gassiev have real success..

I’d give Usyk more potential than Gassiev at HW..

Usyk/Gassiev? Usyk’s to lose. Should win clear on points, unless he gets knocked out? I don’t think Gassiev is a real one hit wow KO hitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

The fight panned out as i thought it would. Gassiev doing the better work overall, and Dorticos not landing many clean punches through out.

You certainly called it right.

The bit that surprised me was Gassiev's defense, though he was helped by a really predictable offense from Dorticos. Still, he blocked that 1-2 the whole fight, never actually got caught clean even once, which shows excellent concentration.

Avni Yildirim
    The Judges had it 6-5, 7-4 and 7-4 (all to Gassiev) going into the last round.

Avni Yildirim
    walshb wrote: »
    I don’t think Gassiev is a real one hit wow KO hitter.

Neither is Uysk. Uysk should win the final. I think he will comprehensively out point Gassiev.
    He is big for a cruiserweight and a skillful fighter, but if he steps up in weight i can't see him being a force at heavyweight. He does not have the power to deter the bigger men from getting to him. Can he take the power from the likes of Wilder and Joshua, i very much doubt it.

Rob Brant
    Gassiev is a classy guy

Avni Yildirim

Bellew and Haye could learn a thing or two from this guy.

Rob Brant
    Breidis got to Usyk fairly comfortable all night.

Can Gassiev?

I would have to make Usyk a warm favorite here, but could he be countered heavy for a possible TKO/KO?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭RezwoK

Avni Yildirim
    If Gassiev lands as much as Beidis did I think Usyk might be in trouble. It's a question of what will have more say; Usyks' seriously high paced work rate and engine or Gassievs' power and shot accuracy. I'd like to see Gassiev work on his timing and increase the workrate (which he'll need to do to beat Usyk). Right now, I can't pick a winner - I'm just delighted it's happening!

Avni Yildirim
    The fight showed that bodywork pays off. Gassiev is elite in that category. Be vey interesting if he can sink big shots to Usyk's body early like he did Dorticos. If he can take Usyk's legs away from him in the latter rounds it's going to get very interesting!

Rob Brant
    Completely torn on this......

No idea.....

I am currently very slightly leaning with Groves via decision. Based off range and keeping Eubank at bay and honest. Using his jab and reach and decent power to limit Eubank's in close action.

Really rooting for Eubank. Groves for me is good but never an elite. Something vulnerable with him, and is a WC based off a soft title win.

Eubank has not fought an elite yet. Here he is not fighting an elite. Eubank can step up another notch with a win. Groves will be his best opponent to date.

Hugely looking forward to it. It could be a great fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Avni Yildirim
    Is Eubank Jr vs Groves being broadcast in Ireland? Even on PPV?

Rob Brant
    Is Eubank Jr vs Groves being broadcast in Ireland? Even on PPV?

ITV PPV box office. Channel 493 Sky.

Visit ITV box office first..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Avni Yildirim
    ITV Box office isn't available on virgin media, some joke.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Avni Yildirim
    I'm predicting 12 round fight with a Groves win.

His reach, range and height will likely present Eubank with issues he's never faced before. Also, I think George will need to focus on movement, angles and counters for every second of the fight. Eubank has not beat anybody above European level and when he faced Saunders he got picked apart.

I've no horse in this race, I just want to see a good fight and I do believe at times Eubank will land some combinations on Groves which may require him to grab and hold especially if George stays on the ropes or burns out which he's suspect to do at times.

I actually believe that Eubank will be made look silly at times and miss a lot too - he's a great fighter brawler but it's boxing not fighting.

Groves on points @ 5/1 is great odds!

Rob Brant
    RezwoK wrote: »
    I'm predicting 12 round fight with a Groves win.

His reach, range and height will likely present Eubank with issues he's never faced before. Also, I think George will need to focus on movement, angles and counters for every second of the fight. Eubank has not beat anybody above European level and when he faced Saunders he got picked apart.

I've no horse in this race, I just want to see a good fight and I do believe at times Eubank will land some combinations on Groves which may require him to grab and hold especially if George stays on the ropes or burns out which he's suspect to do at times.

I actually believe that Eubank will be made look silly at times and miss a lot too - he's a great fighter brawler but it's boxing not fighting.

Groves on points @ 5/1 is great odds!

You could well be on the money with that analysis...

The height reach and range are GGs keys...his power is enough to get respect as well.

Avni Yildirim
    I was just watching some of videos from the open workouts.
    It's hard to believe that Groves is taller than Eubank as he looks so much bigger and bulkier than his opponent.
    Eubank while lean, looks extremely skinny compared to Groves.

The added size and strength of a big Super Middle in Groves will surely be a big advantage to him. I'm starting to lean towards a Groves win on points or late stoppage.

Avni Yildirim
    A fight of two halves I think. Advantage Groves in the first half, advantage Eubank in the second. Groves needs to dig to the body early so Eubank isn't coming on too strong late when Groves gas tank is emptying.

If Groves can keep the fight at distance behind his jab he can make the fight much easier for himself. Just not sure if his feet are as good as they once were. Eubank is reckless as **** coming in though and Groves needs to hit him hard every time he tries to come inside. Eubank will have to take serious punishment to win this fight I think. He has to get inside and he'll have to take Groves best shots. We've no idea if his chin will hold up do we? He was definitely a bit buzzed by Spike. Adam Booth has said Groves buzzed him with bigger gloves when they sparred back 3/4 years ago. Interesting to see how he'll hold up.

I think Groves wins a close decision. Maybe getting an early knockdown to make the difference on the cards. Be one of those fights where it's whether you like quality or quantity of shots I think. I expect Groves to land the bigger punches but Eubank to be more active especially in the second half when Groves feet get heavy. Such a great fight.

Avni Yildirim
    Does anybody know how to order this fight? I'm a sky customer but can't order with remote - usually call box office but as it's ITV I'm not sure what number to call?

Avni Yildirim
    RezwoK wrote: »
    Does anybody know how to order this fight? I'm a sky customer but can't order with remote - usually call box office but as it's ITV I'm not sure what number to call?

Through the website https://www.itvboxoffice.com/

• Advertisement

Rob Brant
    Tyson Fury wrote: »
    ITV Box office isn't available on virgin media, some joke.

It is, no?

https://www.itvboxoffice.com/registration/paid-registration

Advertisement