Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Boxing Super Series Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭RezwoK

Avni Yildirim
    Seems like both links take you to the same page after a bit of navigation and clicks.

Cheers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Rob Brant
    RezwoK wrote: »
    Seems like both links take you to the same page after a bit of navigation and clicks.

Cheers lads

First time you need to set up account and then buy...

Rob Brant
    If Groves' offence and output is stinging and hurtful then he may not need as much of it as we think. If it's not hurting Eubank then Groves will need to be fit and busier.

Eubank is a man, and if he is getting hurt and stung, then he will not be stupid enough to keep taking it by pressing in and forcing Groves to work. It will likely mean that Eubank has to adjust his offence and pace.

Conversely, if he is getting hurt he may decide to press harder and more frenetically, in the thinking that making Groves work harder will deteriorate Groves' offence and power. But he should be pressing harder in a more cautious and clever and defensive manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Avni Yildirim
    When Groves lands these shots...

https://twitter.com/kmbbox/status/961637154123370496

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭RezwoK

Avni Yildirim
    Good post Morrison!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

pac_man wrote: »

Eubank is all about heart and fitness but his choice of opponents since the Saunders fight is indicative of someone that isn't keen on fighting boxers. If Groves had a decent engine, then I fancy him to win this quite comfortably, I just don't trust his engine.

I agree with you on Eubank not wanting to meet boxers and Groves has very good 'pure' boxing skills. His jab is excellent and his all-round skills are of a high level, including his excellent feinting, which is a much neglected tactic and which Tyson Fury showed can really upset even the best of boxing brains. This spells bad news for Eubank - at least early on - and we could see a repeat of the Saunders fight in the sense that Groves will definitely outbox him, if he stays disciplined.

However, Groves also has the power to prevent Eubank getting back into it. If Junior gets reckless he's going to get hurt! Make no mistake about it, Groves is a very hard puncher and Junior won't be able to just simply walk through his shots - look what happened Froch when he tried and we all know how good Froch's chin was!

Then there's the question mark over Groves' stamina, which I often wondered about myself. Well, I'm beginning to think his issues were overstated. He has completed the 12 rounds a number of times against high quality opposition and in recent times hasn't seemed to be any more tired than the opposition.

People can correctly state that Eubank brings lots of pressure and a high workrate, but that's when he's facing boxers who won't be hitting him as cleanly and as hard as Groves will be. I think this fight will be the litmus test for Eubank's chin. If he can walk through Groves' shots then he is indeed 'his father's son'. I'm not convinced he can, but with his genetics I won't be overly surprised if he does and then the second half of the fight will be really interesting.

I'm still going with Groves on points. I think he's now mature enough to not get drawn into a brawl which would suit Eubank and his skills and the respect his power generates will see him home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

Morrison J wrote: »
    Through the website https://www.itvboxoffice.com/

Sorry about this lads, but while trying to reg online it won't let me continue to the next stage unless I tick the toggle 'Tick here to confirm you have either a Sky Q or Sky HD Set Top Box'. I have neither!

Does that mean I can't order it as it's only for HD setups?

Rob Brant
    I assume you have a standard Sky set top box? If so I would fire them an email to check that this is valid for registration/purchasing. Then just tick and move to the next step if the standard set top box is valid. Maybe they have not included in the set up the reference to a standard Sky set top box....

By HD set top box I believe they are referring to the ones that can record and pause and forward and rewind...

Hmmm: Not looking good

"Is ITV Box Office available in SD?No. ITV Box Office is a HD channel and can only be viewed on Sky HD and Sky Q set top boxes."

Rob Brant
    Looks to be nothing in it physically on the scales and head to head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

Groves looking drained as he has been of late, and looking angry. Eubank looking great and very calm. Groves should be 15lbs heavier than Eubank come tomorrow night. Fascinating match up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Avni Yildirim
    Urindanger wrote: »
    Groves looking drained as he has been of late, and looking angry. Eubank looking great and very calm. Groves should be 15lbs heavier than Eubank come tomorrow night. Fascinating match up.

Eubank was chugging the water after the weighin too, but I agree Groves looked very drained and will be a lot bigger tomorrow.

Rob Brant
    Eubank was a ripped 76 kgs. Groves not so much. Groves slightly bigger, but nothing too clear. Yes, he may weigh a “good bit” more fight night, but that’s just a bit of “gluttony.” I’d say Groves is high 170s and Eubank low to mid 170s at the bell.

Avni Yildirim
    Groves is usually 185ish I think. He'll have a distinct advantage in that regard. The guts of a stone heavier.

Rob Brant
    Groves is usually 185ish I think. He'll have a distinct advantage in that regard. The guts of a stone heavier.

I never see why it seems to “always” be labeled an advantage. It doesn’t have to be..it can be a disadvantage to be “too heavy” for fight night...

The very gaining of such weight in such a short time period may not always see an advantage..

Avni Yildirim
    walshb wrote: »
    I never see why it seems to “always” be labeled an advantage. It doesn’t have to be..it can be a disadvantage to be “too heavy” for fight night...

The very gaining of such weight in such a short time period may not always see an advantage..

He's not doing it to give himself a disadvantage though. He'll know his body better than anyone at this stage of his career.

In a fight where your opponent is going to be looking to rough you up on the inside as much as possible having an extra stone on him in order to out muscle him is an advantage I'd say.

Rob Brant

In a fight where your opponent is going to be looking to rough you up on the inside as much as possible having an extra stone on him in order to out muscle him is an advantage I'd say.

Yes, there may be areas of advantage. But the blanket type statement of some clear:automatic advantage I never ageeed with..

Lot to boxing besides pure weight advantage...

Bottom line is that both men are of similar natural size right now. Groves historically has been that bit bigger..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Rob Brant
    Groves Eubank lads, will this be any good?

Avni Yildirim
    Yes, there may be areas of advantage. But the blanket type statement of some clear:automatic advantage I never ageeed with..

Lot to boxing besides pure weight advantage...

Bottom line is that both men are of similar natural size right now. Groves historically has been that bit bigger..
    If one fighter is a stone heavier there's an advantage with regards to weight. I don't know how it isn't tbh. It's only one factor but it's an important one all the same.

Rob Brant
    If one fighter is a stone heavier there's an advantage with regards to weight. I don't know how it isn't tbh. It's only one factor but it's an important one all the same.

The word advantage is what I am querying. Just being x lbs heavier does not mean it’s an advantage (in terms of it will help one to be better than another). It doesn’t always work that way. It can work against as well. Like I said, there are areas to the fight game....

I am not saying that Groves being say 10-12 lbs heavier than Junior on fight night won’t help Groves. I am simply saying that it’s not an automatic advantage, in that it helps him. It may hinder him, and actually aid Junior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

The word advantage is what I am querying. Just being x lbs heavier does not mean it’s an advantage (in terms of it will help one to be better than another). It doesn’t always work that way. It can work against as well. Like I said, there are areas to the fight game....

I am not saying that Groves being say 10-12 lbs heavier than Junior on fight night won’t help Groves. I am simply saying that it’s not an automatic advantage, in that it helps him. It may hinder him, and actually aid Junior.

It's certainly an advantage when the fighter is fighting at his natural weight like Groves is. You don't feel he is boiling down too much to make weight so the weight he puts on after the weigh in is more natural and not forced or too much a shock to the system. Different story if the weight is coming from jumping up considerably in weight such as Rigo against Loma or from being put on suddenly after a big boiling down like Chavez Jr v Canelo.

• Advertisement

Rob Brant
    pac_man wrote: »
    Eubank is a blown up super-middleweight. He admits himself that he's a middleweight.

I am going by what I am seeing in the present. They both look similar sized men...Junior a solid and ripped 167 lbs. Groves a toned 167. Both similar height and similar overall body composition..

Slight natural size advantage to Groves. But it is nothing to exaggerate.

Rob Brant
    ThunderCat wrote: »
    It's certainly an advantage when the fighter is fighting at his natural weight like Groves is. You don't feel he is boiling down too much to make weight so the weight he puts on after the weigh in is more natural and not forced or too much a shock to the system. Different story if the weight is coming from jumping up considerably in weight such as Rigo against Loma or from being put on suddenly after a big boiling down like Chavez Jr v Canelo.

Let’s wait and see...will he be a bit more tired more soon? Bit heavier on the feet? Little less sharp in his punching delivery? Little slower to react?

A lot to consider.....

Will Junior be sharper, faster, more energetic in carrying around 10-14 lbs less weight than Groves? You have to look at everything...

Not saying this example is the same, but Floyd vs. Corrales...there was a prime example of a man being too heavy in the ring on fight night. 0 advantage. A huge disadvantage..exploited by a very talented man, of course.

Rob Brant
    Anyone know Groves’ fight night weight for Froch 1? That is what he should be aiming for..

Avni Yildirim
    Let’s wait and see...will he be a bit more tired more soon? Bit heavier on the feet? Little less sharp in his punching delivery? Little slower to react?

A lot to consider.....

Will Junior be sharper, faster, more energetic in carrying around 10-14 lbs less weight than Groves? You have to look at everything...

Not saying this example is the same, but Floyd vs. Corrales...there was a prime example of a man being too heavy in the ring on fight night. 0 advantage. A huge disadvantage..exploited by a very talented man, of course.

You're talking as if Groves is doing this for the first time ever though. He always cuts a lot of weight and fights at 180+ ish. Unless he's suddenly dead at the weight he'll be himself in there. We know what we're getting from him at this stage. He's always a sharp puncher.

If you ever see Groves in the flesh he's a monster of a man for his size. Proper thick frame on him. There'll be a definite clear difference between the two tonight.

Rob Brant
    I personally think Groves is not the same fighter post Froch..

Hence why I think my questions are very valid here.

For me he is slower, heavier on the feet, less sharp and snappy. Overall he is not the same man he was for Froch and pre Froch. Just something lethargic and sluggish about him in recent years...

Avni Yildirim
    I personally think Groves is not the same fighter post Froch..

Hence why I think my questions are very valid here.

For me he is slower, heavier on the feet, less sharp and snappy. Overall he is not the same man he was for Froch and pre Froch. Just something lethargic and sluggish about him in recent years...

Yeah his feet are definitely not the same as before. He's also just overall a less fluid fighter. I think he's a better puncher now then before though. Think he steps into his punches better. McGuigan seems to have turned him into more of a puncher with a good jab than the boxer puncher he once was. Possibly an effort to help his stamina issues more than anything but who knows.

He's been like that for a while now though hence why I think we know what we're getting with him. He'll have moments where he gets caught against the ropes and has Eubank teeing off on him and he's going to have to hit Eubank with something hard early to keep him somewhat timid. But like even looking at his last fight against Cox he was able to basically rag doll Cox about the place at times in order to get out of trouble. He uses his size quite well imo. It's important he's the bigger man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Agree it is important he is the bigger guy in there but experience counts for a lot too. Groves for me on points.
    Anyone have a stream for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Avni Yildirim
    SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Agree it is important he is the bigger guy in there but experience counts for a lot too. Groves for me on points.
    Anyone have a stream for this?

Are you in the States?
    I read somewhere that there is a free official stream to the States on the WBSS website

Rob Brant
    Fooking blue screen on Sky, and ITV box office site not loading...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Rob Brant
    Christ Naz is huge! Meanwhile Wayne McCollough is as fit as a fiddle

Advertisement