Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would Ads portraying female genital mutilation be permitted?

• 22-09-2017 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

I have noticed 2 ads on TV recently one for Specsavers, one for Greek Muller yogurt.
    Both hilariously portray the gentitals of male statues being destroyed.
    Would a similar portrayal of damage done to the gentitals of female statues be considered humorous and pass without comment?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It's a statue. It's not genital mutilation, it's a bit of clay, marble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

eviltwin wrote: »
    It's a statue. It's not genital mutilation, it's a bit of clay, marble.

Can you reference any comparable ad where the gentitals of female statues are destroyed in advertisements?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Can you reference any comparable ad where the gentitals of female statues are destroyed in advertisements?

Keep fighting the good fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Oh God, it's Friday night. Literally cannot be bothered arguing the toss about something so trivial. Contact the BAI and make a complaint.

Oh God, it's Friday night. Literally cannot be bothered arguing the toss about something so trivial. Contact the BAI and make a complaint.

It's trivial because it ridicules men and portrays the destruction of the penis. That's why it's considered trivial. If the ads portrayed the destruction of vaginas there would be outrage. Double standards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I have noticed 2 ads on TV recently one for Specsavers, one for Greek Muller yogurt.
    Would a similar portrayal of damage done to the gentitals of female statues be considered humorous and pass without comment?

Hilariously?

If you don't find them funny, then it wouldn't be funny if it was a woman surely?

Answering your own question there in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Are you really a twin ?

Hilariously?

If you don't find them funny, then it wouldn't be funny if it was a woman surely?

Hilariously was added for irony.
    The question isn't would they be funny it's would they be permitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

It's the Matriarchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Hilariously?

That's far from answering his own question.

The point I think is. It's funny when when it's a man but not when it's a woman.

Why is that?

• Advertisement

That's far from answering his own question.

The point I think is. It's funny when when it's a man but not when it's a woman.

Why is that?

Because different people find different things funny is probably the most obvious answer that comes to mind. They're two completely different things for a start.

The opening post is like asking why don't they advertise sanitary pads for men or something, it's weird!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

Im with ya op......as I sat eating my greek 0% fat yoghurt as I called specsavers today I thought this is wrong on so many levels.

Because different people find different things funny is probably the most obvious answer that comes to mind. They're two completely different things for a start.

The opening post is like asking why don't they advertise sanitary pads for men or something, it's weird!

How are they two completely different things?

So you think advertising sanitary pads for men is weird huh. Not only women bleed you know ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's their culture, can't be laughed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

It's trivial because it ridicules men and portrays the destruction of the penis. That's why it's considered trivial. If the ads portrayed the destruction of vaginas there would be outrage. Double standards?

To use an example, the Goonies had a miniature statue of David. One of the kids accidentally knocked the penis off. Then reattached it upside down. By your logic, you'd read it as genital mutiliation but the reality is that it's a penis joke and nothing More. You're very easily offended.

If you can find a prominent enough vagina to knock off a statue. Knock yourself out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

You know the way modern feminists often aren't taken seriously because they often complain about trivial things, OP? Well, why would you want to ape that?

pitifulgod wrote: »
    To use an example, the Goonies had a miniature statue of David. One of the kids accidentally knocked the penis off. Then reattached it upside down. By your logic, you'd read it as genital mutiliation but the reality is that it's a penis joke and nothing More. You're very easily offended.

If you can find a prominent enough vagina to knock off a statue. Knock yourself out.

And your opinion on this?

Ha ha just a joke.

How are they two completely different things?

So you think advertising sanitary pads for men is weird huh. Not only women bleed you know ;)

One is a man, the other is a woman?

Only women would need to use sanitary pads, unless there's another purpose men could use them for that I'm unaware of? :pac:

Nah, I sort of get where the OP is coming from, but criticism of humour in male genital mutilation for what it is rather than trying to say humour in female genital mutilation should be acceptable too. I don't think either circumstances nor adverts are particularly humourous if I'm honest. They're both a bit shyte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Its more likely 1:1 kaolinite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Penises are a much funnier piece of genitalia than a vagina.

You can knock a penis off a statue but youd have to butcher a vagina to show any damage,I mean its hardly a tidy piece of kit the ladies have down there.:P

Edit:Vaginas are my favourite genitalia, all shapes and sizes are acceptable to me:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Of course not, don't you know men are the only ones left in society where it's safe for advertisers to take the piss out of - in particular white straight males.

One is a man, the other is a woman?

Only women would need to use sanitary pads, unless there's another purpose men could use them for that I'm unaware of? :pac:

Nah, I sort of get where the OP is coming from, but criticism of humour in male genital mutilation for what it is rather than trying to say humour in female genital mutilation should be acceptable too. I don't think either circumstances nor adverts are particularly humourous if I'm honest. They're both a bit shyte.

Are you saying trans men are women :eek: because in your own own words and I quote "Only women would need to use sanitary pads"?

_Dara_ wrote: »
    You know the way modern feminists often aren't taken seriously because they often complain about trivial things, OP? Well, why would you want to ape that?

I'm trying to point out double standards.
    Both ads portray male genital mutilation. They don't show actual mutilation, they portray it.
    Portraying female genital mutilation to elicit a laugh to sell products would be considered bad taste if not downright offensive.

Both ads portray male genital mutilation. They don't show actual mutilation, they portray it.
    Portraying female genital mutilation to elicit a laugh to sell products would be considered bad taste if not downright offensive.

Well no, it's stone. They don't actually portray it. As to why they do this to a statue, unfortunately male circumcision is still societally accepted. It shouldn't be except for medical reasons, but currently it's acceptable. Hopefully that will change. That's why the ad can protray what it does because social mores dictate the it's OK.

Are you saying trans men are women :eek: because in your own own words and I quote "Only women would need to use sanitary pads"?

What's wrong with saying only women would need to use sanitary pads?

I didn't say anything about men or women who are transgender, but the OP may well have their questions answered when gender confirmation surgery is advertised in the same way as cosmetic surgeries are currently advertised!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Look at all these filthmongers copping a feel of Molly Malone's boobs....

http://www.dailyedge.ie/molly-malone-tourists-boobs-2240994-Jul2015/

I for one am not laughing along with their blatant molestations :mad:

Well no, it's stone. They don't actually portray it. As to why they do this to a statue, unfortunately male circumcision is still societally accepted. It shouldn't be except for medical reasons, but currently it's acceptable. Hopefully that will change. That's why the ad can protray what it does because social mores dictate the it's OK.

Where is it socially acceptable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Only females would need to use sanitary pads for menstruation and trans men are female. You can't identify your way out of biology. The definition of woman is "adult human female" so I don't think there's anything wrong with saying sanitary products are for women . I'm not sure why we have to stop using language that applies to 99.99 percent of people who menstruate?

It doesn't matter if it's stone or rubber or plastic. Of course it is portrayed. It is a portrayal.

Male circumcision isn't used in any current advertisements that I am aware of.
    It was used in a Mercedes ad years ago to portray its smooth ride.

• Advertisement

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Only females would need to use sanitary pads for menstruation and trans men are female. You can't identify your way out of biology. The definition of woman is "adult human female" so I don't think there's anything wrong with saying sanitary products are for women . I'm not sure why we have to stop using language that applies to 99.99 percent of people who menstruate?

That's my point.

C'mon, don't feign innocence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

The US? American Academy of Pediatrics have stated that the benefits outweigh the risks. The WHO estimates that the overall male circumcision rate in the states is somewhere between 76 and 92 percent. Most Western European countries, by contrast, have rates less than 20 percent.

The US? American Academy of Pediatrics have stated that the benefits outweigh the risks. The WHO estimates that the overall male circumcision rate in the states is somewhere between 76 and 92 percent. Most Western European countries, by contrast, have rates less than 20 percent.

And even in Europe, hearing that a man is circumcised wouldn't create much of a stir. Actually no stir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

https://experthometips.com/2016/08/11/15-really-unexpected-uses-tampons-sanitary-towels/

Wow that is shocking, really.

Has anybody got the stats on male to female pediatricians in The US?

Edit 56% are women

• Advertisement

I think it might have been popularised in the early 20th century though I'm not too sure of that. I'm going to guess that female doctors were in the minority then. I don't think it's a female-driven phenomenon.

I think it might have been popularised in the early 20th century though I'm not too sure of that. I'm going to guess that female doctors were in the minority then. I don't think it's a female-driven phenomenon.

Pediatrician is now actually the most female driven medical specialties in the US :eek:

Male circumcision is also a religious phenomenon among Jewish and Muslim communities.
    Circumcision was widespread in Britain until the NHS was founded after WW2 when its perceived health benefits were shown to outweigh its risks and the cost consideration led to it being dropped as policy.

Pediatrician is now actually the most female driven medical specialties in the US :eek:

Reading comprehension failure alert.

I'm talking about a century ago. And now it's culturally engrained in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

Ha ha just a joke.
    Why would they think the removal of a real man's penis is only a joke just because they think the statue penis removal is a joke? :confused:

What scope is there to remove female genitalia off a statue? It's not like it's hanging there.

I think male circumcision on babies and small boys is barbaric by the way (men, in fairness, agree to having it done - whether that's right or wrong) and I think that clip with that weapon Sharon Osbourne and others is grotesque but you're talking about something that isn't comparable - i.e. the non "hanging there" quality to female genitalia!

Spider Web wrote: »

Ha ha just a joke.
    Why would they think the removal of a real man's penis is only a joke just because they think the statue penis removal is a joke? :confused:

What scope is there to remove female genitalia off a statuse? It's not like it's hanging there.

I think male circumcision on babies and small boys is barbaric by the way, and I think that clip with that weapon Sharon Osbourne and others is grotesque but you're talking about something that isn't comparable - i.e. the non "hanging there" quality to female genitalia!

So if a body part is just hanging there it is acceptable to portray its destruction?

How about an ad for cornflakes portraying female breasts being broken off?

So if a body part is just hanging there it is acceptable to portray its destruction?

Unless they dropped off while she was putting milk on her cornflakes, I'm just not seeing the connection tbh! Maybe that's what it is - it's not whether it would be seen as acceptable or not, it's that there's just no scenario I can think of where it would be applicable!

Unless they dropped off while she was putting milk on her cornflakes, I'm just not seeing the connection tbh! Maybe that's what it is - it's not whether it would be seen as acceptable or not, it's that there's just no scenario I can think of where it would be applicable!

Maybe the destruction of the penis is subconsciously acceptable, almost welcomed while destruction of female body parts is unthinkable. It certainly would never to used in an advertisement.

Maybe the destruction of the penis is subconsciously acceptable, almost welcomed while destruction of female body parts is unthinkable. It certainly would never to used in an advertisement.

I doubt that's it SS :pac:

I doubt that's it SS :pac:

What explanation can there be for the double standards?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I have to raise the point that it's a lot more difficult to destroy a vagina on a statue than it is to destroy a penis*. One sticks out. The other is not generally anatomically correct. (DOUBLE STANDARDS! Female anatomy is not rendered correctly! IS IT BECAUSE I IS FEMALE? Or...maybe because spending months dutifully hollowing out the inside of a statue is a little insane..)

How about you find a statue with a vagina, film yourself destroying it and post the vid somewhere and we can all decide if it is objectively funny?

*Someone's probably already raised this, but I wasn't sure I could get through multiple pages of comparative entertainment values of destroying statues and whether a stone penis is more upsetting to see destroyed than a stone vagina.

Also, jays on the clickbait (and dishonest) thread title. You are aware of what FGM -is-, right? It has nothing to do with statues. You may as well have called it "WHY CAN ADS SHOW MURDER?" regarding destroying statues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

The baby's foreskins get used in anti-aging creams.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

Its double standards and its sexist

Samaris wrote: »
    I have to raise the point that it's a lot more difficult to destroy a vagina on a statue than it is to destroy a penis*. One sticks out. The other is not generally anatomically correct. (DOUBLE STANDARDS! Female anatomy is not rendered correctly! IS IT BECAUSE I IS FEMALE? Or...maybe because spending months dutifully hollowing out the inside of a statue is a little insane..)

How about you find a statue with a vagina, film yourself destroying it and post the vid somewhere and we can all decide if it is objectively funny?

*Someone's probably already raised this, but I wasn't sure I could get through multiple pages of comparative entertainment values of destroying statues and whether a stone penis is more upsetting to see destroyed than a stone vagina.

The question is not if it is easy or funny. Its would it be permitted? Acceptable?
    Could you imagine an ad for yogurt where the sculptor, while shaping the vagina, slips the chisel destroying the vagina? And the female model runs away holding her crotch?

• Advertisement
Advertisement