Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooding Tobarteascain, Ennis

• 23-09-2017 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I am thinking about buying a house in Tobareascain, Ennis. Can anyone tell me about possible flooding risks  in the area? Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Flannan's flooded a few years back and that impacted the estates across the road which back onto Tobarteascain, I haven't heard hassle with the railway tracks the other sides. I wouldn't be too worried about flooding around there any more to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Conar

chrisgk wrote: »
    I am thinking about buying a house in Tobareascain, Ennis. Can anyone tell me about possible flooding risks  in the area? Many thanks.

I've been renting here for a couple of years. There's been flooding twice but it seemed to cause more problems on the road than the houses.
    If you're down at Cregaun or further the little bit of flooding has never come down this far in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 chrisgk

Thanks Conar, the house I'm looking at is in Carrig-an-Oir. Do you know of any flooding in that estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 chrisgk

Thanks Clareman, when you say Flannan's, do you mean the school?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Thanks Clareman, when you say Flannan's, do you mean the school?

Yup, there's an under ground river there that flooded badly, came over the walls during the "big floods" but that should be fixed now cause of the flood defences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Conar

Thanks Conar, the house I'm looking at is in Carrig-an-Oir. Do you know of any flooding in that estate?

No water has gone into that estate while I've been here. I'd say its a safe enough bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Conar wrote: »
    No water has gone into that estate while I've been here. I'd say its a safe enough bet.

You might want to check out house insurance. I know after the flooding I had underwriters not wanting to cover me even though my house didn't flood in the worst flooding in 100 years....They seemed to blacklist Ennis in it's entirety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Deagol wrote: »
    You might want to check out house insurance. I know after the flooding I had underwriters not wanting to cover me even though my house didn't flood in the worst flooding in 100 years....They seemed to blacklist Ennis in it's entirety.

I find it next to impossible to get decent house insurance quotes online for Ennis but if you use local brokers or the credit union they will be able to get you a reasonable quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

ElNino wrote: »
    I find it next to impossible to get decent house insurance quotes online for Ennis but if you use local brokers or the credit union they will be able to get you a reasonable quote.

I pointed out to my insurance company that if my house didn't flood in 2009 it was a pretty good bet! Underwriters accepted that argument and quoted a very reasonable amount.

Unlike another insurer who asked me if I lived within 250 metres of a river, I said yes and they refused to quote. I asked them would that exception still count if I lived 250 metres above the river on a hill and they confirmed it still stood!

But yes, I don't use online quotes anymore because I know they are touchy about where my house it.

Advertisement