Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

• 23-09-2017 10:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭

how popular now is the 204 here,and whats ammo availability like?just curious to hear opinions.also did anyone ever get rid of their 223 in favour of a 204?if so,why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

I had 2 204's both remingtons. None would shoot 40 grain. Both were accurate with 32 grain and 39 grain (which are not available now.) Great calibre but i've a 223 now and would never change. Way better selection of bullets for the 223. Both do exactly the same thing..kill vermin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Some factory 204's wouldn't shoot the 40gr because the barrel isn't a true 1:12 twist. I've had 2 x .204 with krieger 1:12 barrels and shot 40gr no problem. They even held tight groups with 45gr. And when comparing like with like its much of a muchness reall. Ammo is readily available for both and premium ammo (Hornady,Federal,Norma) pretty much costs the same.
    My .204 shoots 40gr @3700fps while my .223 shoots 40gr @3620fps.
    I have a grá for both and it's hard to choose but I'm currently using the .223 more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭mike2015

Was thinking of getting a 204 for foxing and was looking at a remington 700 bld for €600 second hand but people have said I'd be mad to pay that and instead buy a new gun.
    Any recommendations on a 204 for the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭leupold90

I had my .223 Remington re-barreled to .204
    I went for a 1:11 twist so it handles 32gr and 40gr equally well. There's not a huge difference between the .233 & .204 but I just wanted to try something different.
    I've had no issue getting ammunition, most places have 32gr & 40gr. Brands I've tried so far are - Hornady, Remington & Federal. Fiocchi and S&B are available too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

mike2015 wrote: »
    Was thinking of getting a 204 for foxing and was looking at a remington 700 bld for €600 second hand but people have said I'd be mad to pay that and instead buy a new gun.
    Any recommendations on a 204 for the job

I have a Ruger m77 in 204 , there is no flatter shooting gun imo, clean kills to 270 yards with Hornady v max 40 g no problem. Only downside is the price of ammo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭mike2015

Stonehall9 wrote:
    I have a Ruger m77 in 204 , there is no flatter shooting gun imo, clean kills to 270 yards with Hornady v max 40 g no problem. Only downside is the price of ammo.

Don't shoot me down, but a well known rifle man ( gun dealer ) told me there's little to no difference in the price of top quality ammo in 204 & 223 but that a 204 was the gun for foxs
    Just couldn't say enough about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

mike2015 wrote: »
    Don't shoot me down, but a well known rifle man ( gun dealer ) told me there's little to no difference in the price of top quality ammo in 204 & 223 but that a 204 was the gun for foxs
    Just couldn't say enough about it

Ya as I said it's ultimate fixing caliber

Advertisement