Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to Hoka Clifton

Options
  • 23-09-2017 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi there I've ran in the Clifton since day one. The Clifton 1 was a brilliant runner, really light and great cushioning, but since then the next 3 versions in my opinion have gradually gone backwards.
    I bought the 4 a few weeks ago and did a 20 mile run in them last weekend. They have become heavier and more responsive than I am used to. Also they seem to be showing signs of wear at an early stage.
    So I'm looking for an alternative to Hoka, I also run in kinvaras and the saucony freedom iso. Both are great half marathon shoes but I always run the Dublin marathon in Hokas but now i don't know.
    Any suggestions please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

what about the hoka vanguish? I find them a very comfortable long distance runner

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

Nuttzz wrote:
    what about the hoka vanguish? I find them a very comfortable long distance runner

Thanks I read up on vanguish it seem like a good option. Do you use them for races or just long training run?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

But the vanquish are heavier then the Clifton 4 so unsure how that solves your weight complaint. I run with the Clifton 4 for longer runs and the Adidas adizero ST 8 for shorter runs up to half marathon. I ran with the Kinvara 8 in the shop and chose the Clifton for the longer runs but I will also get the Kinvara 8 to go lighter again as I still liked them. Could you find a pair of the old Clifton 2 or 3's?

I find the Clifton 4's great for longer runs but not great for tempo and faster runs. Clifton 4's have zero problem with regards wear and I have done 250k + in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

Maybe it's just my running gait but I found a little bit of wear on the sole of the Clifton after the long run. The kinvara is a great shoe and I ran the Cork marathon in them, they are very light and it was the first time I ran a marathon in a different shoe other than the hoka.
    But I don't know if it's the kinvaras or the saucony freedom but I've developed some heel pain which started after I ran a half in the freedom. The Clifton never gave me any troubles. I think the way the series has gone it's time to look around for alternatives, I wasn't a huge fan of the 2 or 3.
    I'm wondering about the saucony zealot 3 which also is supposed to have plenty of cushioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

fennor72 wrote: »
    Thanks I read up on vanguish it seem like a good option. Do you use them for races or just long training run?

I use them for anything greater than 10 miles, be it training run or a race

• Advertisement
Advertisement