Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied maths

Options
  • 23-09-2017 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi I just started 5th year and I'm doing applied maths in school as an extra subject. I've never been great at maths but I'm finding applied maths is getting very hard which I expected I know and even the people who're good at maths find it difficult. So my questjon is if k stay at it will jt get easier over time? Btw were nearly finished with pulleys and wedges.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

Sb567 wrote:
    Hi I just started 5th year and I'm doing applied maths in school as an extra subject. I've never been great at maths but I'm finding applied maths is getting very hard which I expected I know and even the people who're good at maths find it difficult. So my questjon is if k stay at it will jt get easier over time? Btw were nearly finished with pulleys and wedges.

Applied maths is a really hard subject and generally only the people who are very good at maths do well in it. I would say it's too early to drop now and you should stick it with it because there is a point eventually where you will have practised so many questions that it will become much easier. Make sure you can get your head around the logic behind each question because if you don't understand what's going on, there is no hope of doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pmrc

I am also doing applied maths as an extra subject.
    I am doing higher level maths but i am still finding it difficult. I have a 30 minute class one a week in school.
    Any idea's how to help me with the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

5th Year can be quite tricky as the jump from Junior Cert Maths to answering Applied Maths exam questions is very big.

There is a bank of 40 years worth of questions. The majority of questions on the paper each year are similar to those asked in the past. If you haven't already make a list of all of the topics and their subtopics and begin to work your way through the questions. For example break Q1 down into VT Graphs, Objects Moving in the Same Direction, Objects Moving in the Opposite Direction, Objects Moving Vertically etc etc and then break each of these down into sub topic of similar questions. Take ownership of completing the questions yourself and though your teacher is guiding the whole thing, I find that those students who try and do 'some' work independently are more successful in the long term, especially with so little class contact time. You don't have to do all 40 years worth of questions but the more you do the less surprises on the day in the exam.

Process is very important in Applied Maths so don't be afraid to repeat the same question a number of times. Try the question, look at the solution, fix your mistakes and repeat the process a week or so later. Go back to it again the following month and see can you get through it again.

There are some great online resources especially thephysicsteacher (online resources) and keytomaths (youtube videos). If you send me a DM I can send on some Q1 material and checklists to give you an idea what I mean by breaking the topics down.

All the best, it is a great subject and though hard it will hopefully help your Higher Level Maths also.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 twiz

skippy1977 wrote: »
    5th Year can be quite tricky as the jump from Junior Cert Maths to answering Applied Maths exam questions is very big.

There is a bank of 40 years worth of questions. The majority of questions on the paper each year are similar to those asked in the past. If you haven't already make a list of all of the topics and their subtopics and begin to work your way through the questions. For example break Q1 down into VT Graphs, Objects Moving in the Same Direction, Objects Moving in the Opposite Direction, Objects Moving Vertically etc etc and then break each of these down into sub topic of similar questions. Take ownership of completing the questions yourself and though your teacher is guiding the whole thing, I find that those students who try and do 'some' work independently are more successful in the long term, especially with so little class contact time. You don't have to do all 40 years worth of questions but the more you do the less surprises on the day in the exam.

Process is very important in Applied Maths so don't be afraid to repeat the same question a number of times. Try the question, look at the solution, fix your mistakes and repeat the process a week or so later. Go back to it again the following month and see can you get through it again.

There are some great online resources especially thephysicsteacher (online resources) and keytomaths (youtube videos). If you send me a DM I can send on some Q1 material and checklists to give you an idea what I mean by breaking the topics down.

All the best, it is a great subject and though hard it will hopefully help your Higher Level Maths also.

I agree, but the papers seem to be becoming less predictable. Also, many people take applied maths as an extra subject so that such diligent study is not always realistic.
    If maths isn't you're strong suit, applied maths will be difficult and probably isn't a subject you will enjoy.

Advertisement