Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthcare costs

Options
  • 23-09-2017 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

I've heard that there are medical centres around Australia and that the cost to be seen by a doctor if needed is quite reasonable compared to Ireland. I'll be going to Sydney myself. Just wondering if anyone can confirm this? I have health insurance going over but just in case I need to see a doctor at any point.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I've heard that there are medical centres around Australia and that the cost to be seen by a doctor if needed is quite reasonable compared to Ireland. I'll be going to Sydney myself. Just wondering if anyone can confirm this? I have health insurance going over but just in case I need to see a doctor at any point.

As you are going over on a working holiday visa (from your previous posts) you will not be entitled to Medicare so will have to pay full costs at the doctor so may find a bit more expensive than someone with Medicare (around $75 compared to $35 give or take a few dollars)
    Do you mean travel insurance or health insurance? I find it hard to believe that health insurance purchased in Ireland will cover you for a working holiday in Australia but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Plus, there's a difference between "seeing a doctor" and being entitled to medical care. You might be happy to cover the cost of a GP consultation yourself, but maybe not surgery or chemotherapy or medical evacuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Being irish you are also covered for emergency medical care under the reciprocal agreement.

Advertisement