Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN + Router Switch

• 23-09-2017 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am looking for any thoughts on a VPN Service + Network Hardware for a startup software company on a budget.

I need a VPN which Offers:
    -> dedicated IP
    -> At least 8 - 10 Simultaneous Users
    -> Fast with good reliability
    -> Can be installed on a network switch / router

A low cost hardware network switch
    -> 10 - 20 Ports
    -> Wireless enabled - Pref 802.11 ac/n
    -> Can install the VPN Service

Any of you guys have any recommendations of a good combo?

Currently personally using Pure VPN bu it has only 5 users on the account and will need to add on a dedicated IP. Need this to keep a static IP for AWS Security groups but allow employees to log in at home on there machine but when accessed in the office the VPN is on the network switch etc.

I'm not super strong on networking so if i missed anything please add :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Log-on

Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You dont need a VPN service (used for masking ID/ bypassing content restrictions) you need to host your own VPN.

1. Get office connected with a static address
    2. Setup VPN on office router or behind it with a NUC/PI/Server if you have one

If you're non technical here:
    Buy an SOHO/SME router, Mikrotik etc will take too much know how
    Buy any unmanaged 24 port switch
    Buy NUC/PI/Server and install OpenVPN and configure as per OpenVPN.nets guides. Provide each employee with their own key file so as to be easily revocable later.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Rgdajd

Hi sorry for hijacking here but the guys who could answer my question seem to be in here.
    Do i need a VPN to do the following or some other setup?

I have an app on my phone that controls a 4 relay switch over wifi. It only works within the lan there is no option for using this from outside of the network it sits in. If i was connected to my home network through a vpn from my phone will it be the same as being connected via wifi with regards to controlling lan devices? If so Similiar to the above question what is the easiest/cheapest way forward?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Log-on wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I am looking for any thoughts on a VPN Service + Network Hardware for a startup software company on a budget.

I need a VPN which Offers:
    -> dedicated IP
    -> At least 8 - 10 Simultaneous Users
    -> Fast with good reliability
    -> Can be installed on a network switch / router

A low cost hardware network switch
    -> 10 - 20 Ports
    -> Wireless enabled - Pref 802.11 ac/n
    -> Can install the VPN Service

Any of you guys have any recommendations of a good combo?

Currently personally using Pure VPN bu it has only 5 users on the account and will need to add on a dedicated IP. Need this to keep a static IP for AWS Security groups but allow employees to log in at home on there machine but when accessed in the office the VPN is on the network switch etc.

I'm not super strong on networking so if i missed anything please add :)

Just create an SSH bastion on a cheap EC2 instance, lock it down completely or even run OpenVPN on that. It'll be mostly likely faster than tunneling through your own network. It'll also take everything out of your network and be more redundant. You could have two bastions in different availability zones across different regions even.

If you're looking for a firewall with routing and VPN capabilities take a look at some of the Fortigate, Juniper and Ubiquiti stuff. They are easy to configure and have some nice features.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 gearoid!

@Logon, thinking of connecting your remote workers to your office? If so, you need a VPN Access server. 

The simple diagram should be:
    Remote worker -> Internet -> Your Office VPN Server -> Your Office LAN

Now, for the VPN Server part, you can build this your own using a free and open source firewall like pfSense. Install it on an old PC with at least 2Ghz CPU, 2GB Memory.

Configure pfSense as your main gateway, and setup OpenVPN Access server from the pfSense GUI. 

NO need for 3rd-party VPN service.

This is just the overview, for detailed instructions, go to pfSense site.

• Advertisement
Advertisement