Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with old email address

Options
  • 23-09-2017 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭

Hi, for the last ~10 days I've been unable to retrieve email from an old @eircom.net account via POP3 - I just get an error message saying "failed: Could not determine server". Its the same settings etc. that have worked perfectly for the last 2 years at least, its just being pulled into gmail so nothing at all changed on that end. I tried setting up the account in Outlook as a test but get the exact same error message there.

I've also tried to login via webmail at https://www.eir.ie/email/ but that just brings back a message saying "For security reasons, access to eircom net webmail is not available from your present location. Subscription customers may however access their mail using a POP mail client using their email username and password and pop mail server setting 'mail1.eircom.net'."

Any idea what the issue is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

JohnK wrote: »
    Hi, for the last ~10 days I've been unable to retrieve email from an old @eircom.net account via POP3 - I just get an error message saying "failed: Could not determine server". Its the same settings etc. that have worked perfectly for the last 2 years at least, its just being pulled into gmail so nothing at all changed on that end. I tried setting up the account in Outlook as a test but get the exact same error message there.

I've also tried to login via webmail at https://www.eir.ie/email/ but that just brings back a message saying "For security reasons, access to eircom net webmail is not available from your present location. Subscription customers may however access their mail using a POP mail client using their email username and password and pop mail server setting 'mail1.eircom.net'."

Any idea what the issue is?
    Hi JohnK, 

Thanks for contacting us. 

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are having with your emails. 

I'm afraid I'm not aware of the issue from here. The best advice I can offer is to contact our support team on 1890 260 260 or alternatively email wmsupport@eir.ie. They'll be able to assist you from there. 

Thanks

Adam 

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭aoc

I have the same problem, sent e-mail to the support e-mail with screenshots and all, no reply. I do understand it's an old email but I have a few important things linked to it (such as my pension account) therefore I'd appreciate a solution to this, even temporarily so that I can migrate the things I have linked to this account to somewhere else.

Cheers
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Msybe there's some connection with the Eir announcement that some pest has been spoofing (see this thread) http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057791306 

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Sorry - that link doesn't seem to work.  Title starts 'Is this a genuine email', currently near the top of the list.  I also have important things linked to mine, and am trying to get some clarification there on the genuine Eir announcement re 'redundant' Eircom.net addresses.

aoc wrote: »
    I have the same problem, sent e-mail to the support e-mail with screenshots and all, no reply. I do understand it's an old email but I have a few important things linked to it (such as my pension account) therefore I'd appreciate a solution to this, even temporarily so that I can migrate the things I have linked to this account to somewhere else.

Cheers
    Tony
    Hi Tony,

I'm very sorry to hear this. I completely understand how important it is for you to access your email account with it containing such important information. Can you check your settings on your account, please? Can you ensure that the incoming mail server is webmail.eircom.net and your outgoing mail server is mail1.eircom.net, please?

- Adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

I am having the exact same issues with an old eircom.net email account so I was wondering is there any update to this? I haven't received any email since 15/09/2017 and I do have the correct mail settings in Outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

ElNino wrote: »
    I am having the exact same issues with an old eircom.net email account so I was wondering is there any update to this? I haven't received any email since 15/09/2017 and I do have the correct mail settings in Outlook.
    I emailed the address posted above by Adam and they said there was a security issue with the account and the password needed to be reset. Still waiting for them to come back to me on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Has anyone had this issue resolved yet? I was emailing back and forward with eir support but they haven't responded to my emails for a week and I have been unable to access my emails for 4 weeks now. 

Can the reps here get support to reply back to me?

Has anyone had this issue resolved yet? I was emailing back and forward with eir support but they haven't responded to my emails for a week and I have been unable to access my emails for 4 weeks now. 

Same as myself, few emails with the support crowd then nothing for the last week.

Hi ElNino,

I am very sorry to hear that this issue is still ongoing for you. Can you advise me of the last email you've received from our online support team please? If it contains any private information about your account or details that you don't want to share publicly, feel free to send me a PM.

- Adam

• Advertisement

Same as myself, few emails with the support crowd then nothing for the last week.
    Hi JohnK,

Sorry to hear that this issue hasn't been sorted for you. Can you let me know what our online support team have advised you to do in regards to this, please? If you don't want to share this publicly feel free to send it to me in a PM.

- Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭aoc

eir: Adam wrote: »
    aoc wrote: »

Cheers
    Tony
    Hi Tony,

I'm very sorry to hear this. I completely understand how important it is for you to access your email account with it containing such important information. Can you check your settings on your account, please? Can you ensure that the incoming mail server is webmail.eircom.net and your outgoing mail server is mail1.eircom.net, please?

- Adam
    Settings are OK, if you want I can post a screenshot of the POP3 transaction with a Telnet client (I'm a system administrator with 20 years of IT experience, I tend to know what I'm talking about. The error I get via straight command line POP3 as well as any other client is:

-ERR failed: Could not determine server

This means that your system has lost its bearings about how to connect my user to the corresponding mailbox or something of the sort. I've changed the password online and it was successful so the user is still there, but I don't have access to it (webmail, same difference).

I do understand that that account is 12 years old and thing move on but I just need temporary access so as to move the pension account (rather important, you'd imagine, it's me moolah) and other stuff. I did e-mail with screenshot and all and I got no reply.

Thanks
    Tony

Hi JohnK,

Sorry to hear that this issue hasn't been sorted for you. Can you let me know what our online support team have advised you to do in regards to this, please? If you don't want to share this publicly feel free to send it to me in a PM.

- Adam
    Hi Adam, they first wanted to know the home phone number that would have been associated with the account when it was created and they said they'd want to speak to me on that number to verify I was who I said I was or alternatively provide details of the emails in the account so they can check those out; they said checking the details of emails would take several days.

I gave them the phone number but since its for my parents house, and I haven't lived there in years (its probably 15+ years since the account was created), I'm not going to be there to answer a call unless they can give me a time/date they'd ring. I did mention they could call the number and get my mobile but they said thats no use. So in my last email I asked them if they could schedule a call and, to be on the safe side, I also provided details of emails that should have built up in the account as well as the full headers from the last email I was able to retrieve.

That was 10 days ago on October 5th and I've heard nothing since so I dont know whats going, if they're going to try and schedule a call or if they're checking the email account or if they've just forgotten about it.

Hi JohnK,

- Adam
    Hi Adam, they first wanted to know the home phone number that would have been associated with the account when it was created and they said they'd want to speak to me on that number to verify I was who I said I was or alternatively provide details of the emails in the account so they can check those out; they said checking the details of emails would take several days.

I gave them the phone number but since its for my parents house, and I haven't lived there in years (its probably 15+ years since the account was created), I'm not going to be there to answer a call unless they can give me a time/date they'd ring. I did mention they could call the number and get my mobile but they said thats no use. So in my last email I asked them if they could schedule a call and, to be on the safe side, I also provided details of emails that should have built up in the account as well as the full headers from the last email I was able to retrieve.

That was 10 days ago on October 5th and I've heard nothing since so I dont know whats going, if they're going to try and schedule a call or if they're checking the email account or if they've just forgotten about it.
    Thanks for that information JohnK.

Can you send me your email address in a PM please? I'll chase this up for you.

- Adam

Hi Adam, is there any update on this?

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭eir: Kyle

thanks.
    Hi there JohnK

Sincere apologies for the delay in responding to you via PMs.  If you want, you can send me all the information you sent onto Adam via PMs and I'll see what I can assist you with there.

-Kyle

eir: Kyle wrote: »

thanks.
    Hi there JohnK

Sincere apologies for the delay in responding to you via PMs.  If you want, you can send me all the information you sent onto Adam via PMs and I'll see what I can assist you with there.

-Kyle
    I've sent you a PM now Kyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭eir: Kyle

eir: Kyle wrote: »

thanks.
    Hi there JohnK

-Kyle
    I've sent you a PM now Kyle.
    Thank you JohnK

Will respond to you soon

-Kyle

Advertisement