Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dublin half marathon debacle

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Chivito550 wrote: »
    In terms of the now, down near Cherrywood would have been best place for Indoor Arena. Near M50 and on LUAS line. But if we were looking at the future and if we had a government who were ambitious then the Kildare line area has huge potential.

Either way, the current location just sums up this country. Just throw it out in the middle of nowhere with no good public transport links.

(I know this is continuing off topic)

To be fair it's not just an Indoor Arena and it's over a vast area. There is probably no other location as close to the city that could accommodate the whole campus. To my knowledge it was to be serviced by two stops on the proposed Metro West line (complete by 2027!) which obviously isn't going ahead (For reconsideration post 2035! I think). That line would make a huge difference in terms of access to the campus and is vital for linking up the South West, West and North Dublin. It's unfortunate it couldn't be delivered to coincide with the opening of the campus or soon after.

As for saying 'Middle of Nowhere', it is all relative and not in the middle of nowhere for a lot of people. It is right beside the M50 too. I remember racing a lot on Belfield's track and it was far from convenient to get to at the time. As a huge campus it does present an issue just getting around it however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

How was the guy from Lucan so late he had to abandon it 6km from the start? I left my house at 7:30, drove past Lucan at 7:45, hit the queue at 8:10 and was in car park 2 at 9:05.
    Did I just get lucky?

He runs in my parkrun, I'll ask him ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

How was the guy from Lucan so late he had to abandon it 6km from the start? I left my house at 7:30, drove past Lucan at 7:45, hit the queue at 8:10 and was in car park 2 at 9:05.
    Did I just get lucky?

Yeah I dunno - this is what I was wondering about the IT article on the day - similar story. I left Lucan at 7am and was in the carpark 2 at 8:35am

aquinn wrote: »

Ah give me a break.

I'm not thinking of myself at all at all. I'm thinking of the poor orphans who live along the route, who couldn't get access to their bowl of gruel...

Many races in urban areas will inconvenience people and businesses for some time.

Personally I don't get why people get too wound up over a race that has problems. Yeah, it's a pity, but move on, there will be another race next week. And I suspect that the runners at the more competitive end are the most sang froid, they've seen it all before, a lot of the anger comes from those at the rear who haven't been in enough races to realise yeah, some are disasters, crap happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Greybottle wrote: »
    The Dublin Marathon shuts down every road into Dublin from the N4 to the N11 for longer periods, so it's nothing new.

It doesn't. The N4 (the R148) isn't closed at all, and neither is the N11 - the marathon runs under one and over the other.
    The green LUAS line is crossed less than a mile in to the marathon, and the red line is closed about 2 miles in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Ah give me a break.

I'm not thinking of myself at all at all. I'm thinking of the poor orphans who live along the route, who couldn't get access to their bowl of gruel...

Many races in urban areas will inconvenience people and businesses for some time.

Personally I don't get why people get too wound up over a race that has problems. Yeah, it's a pity, but move on, there will be another race next week. And I suspect that the runners at the more competitive end are the most sang froid, they've seen it all before, a lot of the anger comes from those at the rear who haven't been in enough races to realise yeah, some are disasters, crap happens.

I don't think many races have cause this kind of issue though. Also if your waiting on your carer its a big thing.

Also if your waiting on your carer its a big thing.

It absolutely is. As it is in every single race or event where people run on public roads and it may affect traffic and the ability of people, including carers, to visit others.

It absolutely is. As it is in every single race or event where people run on public roads and it may affect traffic and the ability of people, including carers, to visit others.

Can you point to another race where it has caused this much disruption?

Can you point to another race where it has caused this much disruption?

If you are asking me to identify races where a greater number of people on the route went without carers, presumably the first issue is to specify exactly how many went without during this run.

I am simply saying the suggestion that elderly people and businesses had their lives disrupted on this run, as if that doesn't happen in others, is nonsense.

If you are asking me to identify races where a greater number of people on the route went without carers, presumably the first issue is to specify exactly how many went without during this run.

I am simply saying the suggestion that elderly people and businesses had their lives disrupted on this run, as if that doesn't happen in others, is nonsense.

But your saying the same level of disruption happens at all races like this one which is not true also.

I have ran many races, never seen people face the issues that happened last weekend.

Never stuck in traffic for a few hours because of a race, even New York didn't have that problem which is 50,000 people race

• Advertisement

But your saying the same level of disruption happens at all races like this one which is not true also.

No no, I certainly did not. I said disruption happens at all races. I never suggested it was the same.

I don't know the numbers who need care who live on each route.

A person made an issue about the elderly and carers on this route, as if it was a particular problem that day. Is it not true that this may be an issue for every single race?

I think they were simply venting, but wanted the fig leaf of "an issue" beyond coming across as just "I'm furious".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...I am simply saying the suggestion that elderly people and businesses had their lives disrupted on this run, as if that doesn't happen in others, is nonsense.
    The R128 (Rush/Skerries Road) closed on September 11th for 2 months for major water works.The official diversion is the R127 (Lusk to Skerries Road).

This diversion has been advertised widely along the route and in each town/village. Some idiot then gave sanction to close the official diversion for the half marathon leaving hundreds of locals with no access out of their local area as two main arterial routes in north Co Dublin were closed.

I somehow doubt that this would be allowed to happen for other events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

...I am simply saying the suggestion that elderly people and businesses had their lives disrupted on this run, as if that doesn't happen in others, is nonsense.
    The R128 (Rush/Skerries Road) closed on September 11th for 2 months for major water works.The official diversion is the R127 (Lusk to Skerries Road).

This diversion has been advertised widely along the route and in each town/village. Some idiot then gave sanction to close the official diversion for the half marathon leaving hundreds of locals with no access out of their local area as two main arterial routes in north Co Dublin were closed.

In addition to that there are only 2 access roads to Portrane Donabate . One is Turvey avenue which wss closed from early morning until after the race . The other the hearse road was the access road to Newbridge house and was essentialy blocked most of the day with people trying to get into and out of Newbridge.

It was definitely unsafe to have all access routes to this large area blocked for most of the day .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

In addition to that there are only 2 access roads to Portrane Donabate . One is Turvey avenue which wss closed from early morning until after the race . The other the hearse road was the access road to Newbridge house and was essentialy blocked most of the day with people trying to get into and out of Newbridge.

It was definitely unsafe to have all access routes to this large area blocked for most of the day .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The Muppet wrote: »
    In addition to that there are only 2 access roads to Portrane Donabate ....
    ......and those two access roads become one road at the railway bridge so technically there is only one access road to Donabate/Portrane.

(There is the back road off the Hearse Road via Corballis but it's narrow and has a very low bridge so not accessible to vans, tractors, buses, trucks etc.)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Reports in on this event:

Press Release

Next year's back to Phoenix Park anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Pretty damning report alright, from a quick scan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

quickbeam wrote: »
    Reports in on this event:

Press Release

Next year's back to Phoenix Park anyway.

Interesting process, good to see that they published the review. And great to see the race back in the Park for 2018.

Advertisement