Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCD Tripping Frequently

Options
  • 23-09-2017 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

So, this has been happening for a while. Most frequently at night, but at other times also. By process of elimination it seems when the washing machine is plugged out of the wall completely it doesn't occur.

It doesn't generally happen when the washing machine is on in a cycle, it's not drawing too much current I'd say, but possible neutral earth fault some time after a cycle is complete (more than an hour maybe).

I tried testing resistance on the plug between neutral-earth and neutral-live for possible high resistance due to water ingress, but found both at infinite resistance as would be the case if all was ok.

Is there any further diagnosis I could do on the appliance with a multimeter or clamp meter?

Could lack of ventilation? Or ingress of v. humid ambient air be the cause? After it cools down, maybe it's condensing and causing a N-E fault? (There is also a condenser dryer beside it, which is used v. frequently).

*edit* to clarify it is the main RCD, and switches power to all the sockets in the house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

It could be a small hole in the rubber seal around the door, this is letting water into the back of the machine where it is causing a 'short' circuit, which is being detected the RCD.
    Unplug the machine, pull it out form the wall and check underneath, to see if there is any sign of a leak.

Advertisement