Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formatting a hard drive

• 23-09-2017 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭

So I got a new hard drive and need it to be formatted to
    Format:MSDOS FAT32
    Scheme: Master Boot Record

but when I try format it says
    Erase process failed. The disk is too large to be supported by the given partition scheme. Operation failed

I need it to be this format only as it works for me on all my other hard drives and other formats including exfat, give me other issues which Id rather not get into.

Any ideas how to format it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

How big is the new drive? - the Max partition size for FAT32 drives is 8TB, but some systems (not sure about MacOS) have limitations on how big a partition they can format, and how big a drive size they can mount (eg:Win 2000 can only format up to 32GB partitions, although Win 98 can manage up to 128GB)

Have you tried partitioning it into two drives? (even if two half-the-size drives won't suit your needs, at least you can do it to prove that the formatting function will work).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Type 17 wrote: »
    How big is the new drive? - the Max partition size for FAT32 drives is 8TB, but some systems (not sure about MacOS) have limitations on how big a partition they can format, and how big a drive size they can mount (eg:Win 2000 can only format up to 32GB partitions, although Win 98 can manage up to 128GB)

Have you tried partitioning it into two drives? (even if two half-the-size drives won't suit your needs, at least you can do it to prove that the formatting function will work).

Its a 3TB external desktop hard drive. I didnt try partitioning it into 2 drives.

Ive the same hard drive set up the way I want this one to be and it works perfectly but for some reason this new one wont format for me :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

I can format it to FAT32 but it says that 2.2TB is taken when theres nothing on the hard drive :confused:

Anyone able to help?

Maximum size for FAT32 is 2TB (if the disk presents a 512 byte sector size which is virtually everything at the moment). Use exFAT if you need it to be cross-platform.

Advertisement