Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I have 45acres of grazing land. Can anyone tell me how many sheep per acre I can keep

• 23-09-2017 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Sheep

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

200 sheep altogethrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭White Clover

Depends on quality of the land and the quality of the pasture. But, mostly dependent on your management abilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Depends on quality of the land and the quality of the pasture. But, mostly dependent on your management abilities.
    And the fencing of that land as well, sheep are fekkers for finding weak spots in fencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gazquez

200 sheeps plus lambs?

Gazquez wrote: »
    200 sheeps plus lambs?

Yes

• Advertisement

I have everything very good condition Land, fencing...

Sorry, you say 200 sheeps without lambs?
    Thank you

Gazquez wrote: »
    Sorry, you say 200 sheeps without lambs?
    Thank you

Yes as in. 200 ewes and lambs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Yes as in. 200 ewes and lambs

Do This include replacements aswell as growing own silage/hay

Do This include replacements aswell as growing own silage/hay

Includes hay and silave. Buy in replacements. Cost of vaccination is low when u consider that you can have adult sheep in hoggetts place. When your working with this small number. Its handiest to keep them all the one with less groups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

190 ewes here on 48 acres weaned 1.68 this year, lambing split between jan and mid march. Good dry land set out in a paddocks, grows good early grass so able to have the early lambs and have good bank of grass for march lambers. Make my own silage and keep 20 of the best ewe lambs every year which are lambed in their first year, if not wouldnt pay me to keep them. Lots of extra grass this year even got to buy 50 store lambs to finish so might even increase ewe numbers slightly in the future but will stick with what i have for now.

Advertisement