Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neibour moved in other people to pay her rent (screaming baby involved)

Options
  • 23-09-2017 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I am renting a flat in a buliding that has 3 flats altogether. The flat closest to me has a Woman on the lease. She is living in her boyfriends house the last 4 months or so and last month she moved a couple with a baby into her flat to pay he rent for her. Without sounded like a cold person, The baby is constantly crying and they have their friends around all hours. I go to bed early at night and wake up early in the morning to travel to work. It think i am only managing to get 3 hours sleep a night give or take.

Since they are not one the lease do i have rights to get them evicted?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No they could be validly subletting

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭martin123123

Stheno wrote: »
    No they could be validly subletting

The landord thinks she is still living there alone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The landord thinks she is still living there alone.

Then you could complain to the landlord?

Stheno wrote: »
    Then you could complain to the landlord?

That is what i will have to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

I am renting a flat in a buliding that has 3 flats altogether. The flat closest to me has a Woman on the lease. She is living in her boyfriends house the last 4 months or so and last month she moved a couple with a baby into her flat to pay he rent for her. Without sounded like a cold person, The baby is constantly crying and they have their friends around all hours. I go to bed early at night and wake up early in the morning to travel to work. It think i am only managing to get 3 hours sleep a night give or take.

Since they are not one the lease do i have rights to get them evicted?
    I don't believe you have any right to evict anyone. You can complain about the noise and take it to the rtb if you have to. But I think you will find it hard to find anyone on your side. Eviction sounds very far fetched. With a crying baby they are likely to take pity on them. Nasty neighbour trying to evict them because their baby is crying. People will not care either way, you are well and truly on your own. I do have sympathy for you. Having noisy neighbours is such a stressful thing to go through. But my advice would be to move. Easier said than done I know but not impossible. Even starting the process of moving and giving yourself some hope will make you feel better. All the best with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 twiddletwaddle

Does the landlord know that she is subletting? You need the landlords permission to sublet a property that you are leasing. As others have said get onto the landlord first of all.

I don't imagine the landlord will be too happy with the situation, there is a big difference leasing a flat to a single person versus a couple with a child. Sure the original tenant could well be profiteering on the sublease given the current renting climate.

rtb.ie/dispute-resolution/dispute-resolution/the-three-stages-of-a-tenancy/what-is-subletting-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

qrx wrote: »
    I don't believe you have any right to evict anyone.

The neighbour doesn't have the right to evict anyone in this case, that's true. But s/he does have the right to inform the landlord of a possible sublet, and the landlord can evict if they see fit (I'm assuming they can in the case of a sublet if it's not been explicitly allowed for).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is the council paying her rent ? I had a tenant who was claiming rent relief but moved back home and continued claiming it after I had rented the house back out

qrx wrote: »
    I don't believe you have any right to evict anyone. You can complain about the noise and take it to the rtb if you have to. But I think you will find it hard to find anyone on your side. Eviction sounds very far fetched. With a crying baby they are likely to take pity on them. Nasty neighbour trying to evict them because their baby is crying. People will not care either way, you are well and truly on your own. I do have sympathy for you. Having noisy neighbours is such a stressful thing to go through. But my advice would be to move. Easier said than done I know but not impossible. Even starting the process of moving and giving yourself some hope will make you feel better. All the best with it!

I am absolutely not going to move out. They are living there without lease for 1 month and i have been living here 5 years. I know the landlord personally and i have a feeling he wouldn't be happy if he knew about the situation.

Does the landlord know that she is subletting? You need the landlords permission to sublet a property that you are leasing. As others have said get onto the landlord first of all.

I don't imagine the landlord will be too happy with the situation, there is a big difference leasing a flat to a single person versus a couple with a child. Sure the original tenant could well be profiteering on the sublease given the current renting climate.

rtb.ie/dispute-resolution/dispute-resolution/the-three-stages-of-a-tenancy/what-is-subletting-

The landlord has no idea she is subletting. Thank you for the link.

• Advertisement

I informed the landlord. It turns out she has 4 people and a baby living there that are not on the lease. The landlord has assured me that he will be removing them.

Advertisement