Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Electricity Smart Meters

Options
  • 23-09-2017 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

This is coming in 2019 for everybody, whether we want them or not. The spin is that they will benefit consumers, but I am sceptical. For example, providers may start charging extra during peak periods - who asked for that? I have read that the EU are demanding that these meters be installed, is that true?

What say you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

pummice wrote: »
    This is coming in 2019 for everybody, whether we want them or not. The spin is that they will benefit consumers, but I am sceptical. For example, providers may start charging extra during peak periods - who asked for that? I have read that the EU are demanding that these meters be installed, is that true?

What say you?
    Some people will find anything to complain about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

Poorly fitted smart meters are suspected as the cause of fires in the UK. If they are made mandatory here I hope only qualified people will be allowed to fit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

pummice wrote:

There's a thread on the home automation and iot forum about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Delphinium wrote: »
    Poorly fitted smart meters are suspected as the cause of fires in the UK. If they are made mandatory here I hope only qualified people will be allowed to fit them.

The retrofitting of the smart meters will be carried out by ESB Networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

..... For example, providers may start charging extra during peak periods - who asked for that?

Forget the 'may', they definitely will charge more during peak, and less during off-peak. That's the whole point of smart meters.

Reducing spikes in the demand curve is what it's all about. For domestic users that means they will incentivise you (via lower off-peak rates) to not run a dishwasher or washing machine during the morning and evening peak periods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Don't they already do that with day and night meters? I actually thought with renewable energy that there was talk of getting rid of peak pricing?

bleary wrote: »
    Don't they already do that with day and night meters?

The existing day & night meters cost more for the user in standing charges. You need to be using a significant amount of juice off-peak to offset the additional charge for the meter which means that for domestic users, they really only make sense if you have storage heaters. They also cannot distinguish between usage during morning and evening peak and what you consume in the middle of the day because it's all 'day' usage.
    bleary wrote: »
    I actually thought with renewable energy that there was talk of getting rid of peak pricing?

It's all about flattening the demand curve to improve generation efficiency. As long as there is a significant amount of generating capacity from fossil fuels, they need to reduce consumption during the morning and evening peaks and move that demand to other times of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭pummice

To be honest I dont really want to be watching the clock and wondering if its the right time to put on the immersion or the washing machine. The ordinary domestic user doesnt care about peaks and valleys in demand - the spin is that this will benefit consumers, but the reality its others who will benefit

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Currently no MIC charge exists for domestic customers, it would require a contract change and personally they can go and sing for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

I would jump at the opportunity to have one installed.
    I think they are an excellent innovation.
    Many people have already installed usage monitors at their own expense. Knowledge is power! ( no pun intended)
    I believe they will eventually replace all the existing meters in homes so why not take the first opportunity and be an early adopter?
    I have no concerns regarding security/privacy issues with these devices.
    If privacy is a concern then social media should be the main focus.

• Advertisement

Steve wrote: »
    Currently no MIC charge exists for domestic customers, it would require a contract change and personally they can go and sing for that.

What's an MIC charge? And why would it require a contract change to swap your meter?
    To be honest I dont really want to be watching the clock and wondering if its the right time to put on the immersion or the washing machine.

Then get ready to pay more for your electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Steve wrote: »
    Who mentioned MIC charges?

Advertisement