Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAMAGED APPLES

Options
  • 23-09-2017 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

This odd design on some of the Cox's Pippin apples I've been growing for some years happens more often than not. It affects only a small percentage of the fruit. To me it looks like something that was left on the surface by some bug during the early stages and as the apple grew the area expanded. Anyone know what kind of bug?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

ttenneb wrote: »
    This odd design on some of the Cox's Pippin apples I've been growing for some years happens more often than not. It affects only a small percentage of the fruit. To me it looks like something that was left on the surface by some bug during the early stages and as the apple grew the area expanded. Anyone know what kind of bug?

Looks a bit like frost damage from earlier in the year.

Not sure what happened to mine this year but was a very poor harvest. No sign of bugs or disease and very small sparse apples. I did think that it was very wet when the flowers were out so that may be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think it is caused by drought and then rain, the apple suddenly grows quickly and splits the skin, it can happen with other fruit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

In the past I used have problems with Codling Moth infestation, but this year I made some traps which worked extremely well. But where evidence did occur in minimal instances the appearance is totally different to that in the pictures. So it's obviously something else.

Advertisement